Looks like we dodged a Bullet

StateJCP

Jul 7, 2021
Napier, Judge, Sarkisian all appear to busts and love him or hate him Leach appears to have been the better hire than any of those guys. So Swing Your Sword!!!

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Could care less about Napier. He snubbed us so he's not even worth mentioning at this point.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I’m glad. If I had to look at his perfectly trimmed hairline all the time I might have had to stop watching and stick to listening to the radio. I just don’t trust a man who’s grooming is that perfect.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Napier was 40-12 before FL, inherited Mullen's leftovers (who everybody around here said was reason to pardon Slow Joe when he got here), he beat #7 Utah, lost to a #11 and a #20, now should handle Eastern WA and Mizzou in next 2 weeks to bring him to 4-2 w/ losses to a #11 and a #20. Damn you're right he's a bust

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Conveniently left out Heupel, Kiffin, and Pittman. Two do those three are in our division

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Napier, Judge, Sarkisian all appear to busts and love him or hate him Leach appears to have been the better hire than any of those guys. So Swing Your Sword!!!

Even if Leach gets fired in the next years or two, he will always go down as a good hire. He's had decades of positives results, for once we didn't reach for a hire.

I certainly wouldn't put a dagger in Napier yet, he's three games in and has a good track record at a lower level. As far a Judge, many a coach who eventually became very successful failed in his first NFL job, so he'll likely get a chance to redeem himself. I don't know what to make about Sark, he's a head scratcher for sure.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Could care less about Napier. He snubbed us so he's not even worth mentioning at this point.

Everybody just assumes every rumor put out there by an agent is true when it comes to MSU. It's possible he snubbed us. But there have also been rumors that "everybody knew were true" that were pretty baseless.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Napier was 40-12 before FL, inherited Mullen's leftovers (who everybody around here said was reason to pardon Slow Joe when he got here),

Who the 17 said that? JoMo burned through a **** ton of goodwill his first year wasting a relatively loaded roster. Some people were giving him the benefit of the doubt for not having the right QB for his offense (which is somewhat laughable at this point), and people recognized that his second year was impacted by not having a good DL group and not being able to fix it in one year, but he still got fired after two years and an overall winning record. That doesn't happen if people think he inherited bad talent or a bad locker room situation.

he beat #7 Utah, lost to a #11 and a #20, now should handle Eastern WA and Mizzou in next 2 weeks to bring him to 4-2 w/ losses to a #11 and a #20. Damn you're right he's a bust

Agree with the rest of it. But it's not like he was left with **** players. Mullen's team was fine last year through four games and then fell off a cliff because of whatever dysfunction. Napier may have inherited a locker room issue (I would guess it was more the players rebelling against Mullen's discipline knowing that he didn't have the support of the administration, not a truly dysfunctional locker room like Jo Mo left Leach), but he inherited some good talent.

OliveBranchDAWG

Aug 22, 2012

Sark is only in his second season and Texas looks improved from last year. Ewers getting hurt against Bama was tough, they likely would’ve won that game.

Napier is only 4 games in and has a win over a top 10 team.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Conveniently left out Heupel, Kiffin, and Pittman. Two do those three are in our division

Nobody but Arkansas would have hired Pittman. Heupel and Kiffin are fair comparisons. I don't think Kiffin would have been a fit for us. Heupel should have been a legitimate target we looked at. Didn't have much of a track record as head coach at that point with just two years taking over a UCF team that was already rolling. But certainly worthy of looking at.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Napier was 40-12 before FL, inherited Mullen's leftovers (who everybody around here said was reason to pardon Slow Joe when he got here), he beat #7 Utah, lost to a #11 and a #20, now should handle Eastern WA and Mizzou in next 2 weeks to bring him to 4-2 w/ losses to a #11 and a #20. Damn you're right he's a bust

Joe inherited a top 5 defense. Your argument died right there.

Sep 15, 2009
Agree with other poster here. Sark is nowhere close to a bust. He was able to get two number 1 QBs in the nation to come. Ewers is hurt and when he comes back they likely run the table this year.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Everybody just assumes every rumor put out there by an agent is true when it comes to MSU. It's possible he snubbed us. But there have also been rumors that "everybody knew were true" that were pretty baseless.

I remember the rumor at one point was that Napier was ready to come here, but JoMo fooled around and won the Egg Bowl, so we kept him and left Napier in the lurch and by the time we fired JoMo after the Gator Bowl, Napier was like 'nah' and we ended up with Leach.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

Heupel was in year 2 at UCF and was 22-4 heading into 2020. We likely put out feelers, but there’s a good chance he shunned us knowing he’d get a bigger offer somewhere else, and he did. At the time, I can’t recall a single source that ever mentioned him as a serious candidate….and that’s even with us having to scrape the bottom of the barrel for all potential interest since we were hiring in mid-January.

Kiffin had already been hired by OM before we even fired JoMo….so it’s not really even worth discussing him, unless you just want to lay blame at Keenum’s feet for us not firing him after the Egg Bowl. Ole Miss would have outbid us for him anyway.

Pittman was a joke of a hire on paper that has turned out well for Arkansas. Credit to them for identifying a guy they had history with and finding a good fit from under the radar. Easy to say we should have made a hire like that in hindsight….much more difficult to see the future in the moment.

Overall, I’d say we still did pretty well with our hire.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Heupel was in year 2 at UCF and was 22-4 heading into 2020. We likely put out feelers, but there’s a good chance he shunned us knowing he’d get a bigger offer somewhere else, and he did.

Kiffin had already been hired by OM before we even fired JoMo….so it’s not really even worth discussing him, unless you just want to lay blame at Keenum’s feet for us not firing him after the Egg Bowl.

Pittman was a joke of a hire on paper that has turned out well for Arkansas. Credit to them for identifying a guy they had history with and finding a good fit from under the radar. Easy to say we should have made a hire like that in hindsight….much more difficult to see the future in the moment.

Overall, I’d say we still did pretty well with our hire.

Arkansas paid for two great coordinators for him. Something we'd never do.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We'll never know, but this is the most plausible explanation.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
If we beat Arkansas next Saturday, Leach would take the lead in the "who has been the better hire?" race vs. Pittman.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I remember the rumor at one point was that Napier was ready to come here, but JoMo fooled around and won the Egg Bowl, so we kept him and left Napier in the lurch and by the time we fired JoMo after the Gator Bowl, Napier was like 'nah' and we ended up with Leach.

Keenum is the one that balked on the Moorhead firing until the Gay-Shrader fight. That forced his hand. Whatever happens as a result of that decision to delay the inevitable (good or bad) is on Keenum and no one else. Boosters were ready to pull the trigger.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009

Incredible to think that Huepel is going to be the successful ex-UCF coach and not Frost. I am having a hard time coming to terms with how poorly Frost did at Nebraska. I thought he was a lock to get them back towards legitimacy (not national power or anything, but 8-9 wins regularly).

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
There’s lots of paths to 6-6. And they all run about $5 million these days seems like. Leach gets us some extra media pub.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I still think I would take Sark. Napier jury is still out. I still think he is similar to Mullen just may end up being a better recruiter but not this year snd then Mullen is a far better qb coach.

Judge should have never been in the conversation to start with. Didn't have the experience.

Leach the jury is still out on his tenure in Starkville. This is still only his second real year. Year three overall. I've seen some improvement with things. Just want to see a season where things come together 70 percent of the games.

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
If we beat Arkansas next Saturday, Leach would take the lead in the "who has been the better hire?" race vs. Pittman.

this is the correct perspective...the two head to head losses vs Arky are the difference in records and in fact Leach has wins over better teams than Pittman

patdog

May 28, 2007
That loss to Texas Tech last weekend didn't help him. 5-7 last year and 2-2 this year. He may get it done there, but that's not the results they hired him for.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
And we would have won at Arkansas last year if not for missing three field goals and a bad defensive holding call on fourth down.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Incredible to think that Huepel is going to be the successful ex-UCF coach and not Frost. I am having a hard time coming to terms with how poorly Frost did at Nebraska. I thought he was a lock to get them back towards legitimacy (not national power or anything, but 8-9 wins regularly).

I think people just underestimate how easy it is to win at some places and how hard it is to win at others. UCF is in a very populous state with a lot of good talent where you can put together a pretty good team just with leftovers. You play 10 games where you outmatch people with resources and then have one where it's relatively close and one where you're outmatched. You're players are going to come out pumped for the two big matchups. You just keep them from brain farting away a should win, and you can get to 10-2 without doing anything that special.

Go to Nebraska where all the sudden you have fewer people in your state than were in just the Orlando MSA, and you're competing with schools that have as many or more resources than you 9 or 10 games a year, and it shouldn't be that surprising that a coach that wins at UCF doesn't at Nebraska.

shotgunDawg

Nov 13, 2011
Sark is only in his second season and Texas looks improved from last year. Ewers getting hurt against Bama was tough, they likely would’ve won that game.

Napier is only 4 games in and has a win over a top 10 team.

I just find giving coaches credit for top 10 or 25 wins based on preseason rankings, which suck, is highly ridiculous.

I think Napier will be fine though.

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
I agree with those who say it is way premature to call Sark a bust at Texas. While the Tech game raises a question (away game lost in overtime due to a fumble on Texas’ first play in OT), the Ala game with Ewers shows promise (Texas was playing a couple of freshmen on its o line and youth all over the field). His recruiting success (Ewers and Arch) would suggest at least they have a solid chance to fix their problems.

I haven’t seen enough to rule Napier a bust. Tenn is the new darling, and I didn’t see the game, but wasn’t Fla in the game but got beat by a slightly better team?

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Judge was not a college coach fit (apparently he's not an NFL fit either) so he really doesn't count. Sark and Napier are still learning the job so they aren't bust quite yet. Not yet. They both could end up with better careers than Leach but only if Leach is a complete bust at State.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
Napier is wayyy too early to call. They beat a very good Utah team week 1. The others have busted quickly.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login