Looks like we may be trading the Tupelo duo......

G

Goat Holder

for the Meridian duo. Even though at this time, we may not get any of them. Have to admit I was wrong. It will suck seeing Garrett and Bumphis playing for Alabama and LSU or vice versa.

G

Goat Holder

for the Meridian duo. Even though at this time, we may not get any of them. Have to admit I was wrong. It will suck seeing Garrett and Bumphis playing for Alabama and LSU or vice versa.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
You're kidding right? You do realize that signing day is 11 months away.

I still stand by my belief that Garrett will take his visits, maybe even decommit, but in the end, he'll commit with some BS about his heart always being with MSU.

G

Goat Holder

before reaffirming that committment, assuming Tyler Russell doesn't commit, may hurt our chances of getting some of our top targets at receiver.

I was hoping for a big recruiting class this year, and thought Garrett would spearhead it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Does anybody have any idea why in the hell Garrett committed in the first place? He committed awfully early and then almost immediately opened his recruiting right back up again.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
I guess I can see that reason for concern. Obviously a QB commit can help draw other players, so I could see why him wavering could be a negative. I still think you get his signature though, so at least on an individual basis, I don't think it's reason for concern.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
then he and his family realized once he started getting attention from all the bigger schools, that maybe they need to be a little more open-minded.

If Crooms loses this kid, it has to be an eye-opner to alot of people

patdog

May 28, 2007
then places like LSU and Alabama aren't where he needs to be looking. I really doubt he'll be the only QB either of them offers. And the others they offer won't be 2* recruits, either.

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
I think it was more a case of a promise that we made to him and his dad that we went back on. We told them point blank that he was the only QB we were going to sign. A few weeks later, we offered Tyler Russell.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
That would be a mistake if that's what happened. What you do there is tell him that he's the No. 1 QB on your board and that you may sign another 1 or 2 to add some depth, but he is your top target. That, or you tell him he's your only QB and then don't sign anymore in his class. And you sign other QBs the next year to give your depth.

DowntownDawg

May 28, 2007
...because here you have a kid in your own back yard, whose father is president of the county's Alumni association, and who grew up going to games at MSU. These folks are more than likely not on the take, either. You just don't lose a player like that.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If Croom made that promise to him, he's a dumbass for making it to start with. Then if he broke it, he's an even bigger dumbass. The sad thing is, that story at least sounds plausible to me.

G

Goat Holder

I think it's as simple as Henig getting hurt, now we need more depth. Nothing more, nothing less. And I'm sure Melvin and Woody know the coachspeak and are telling him exactly what he wants to hear.

The guy has to look at these other offers. I sure would. And honestly, I don't want the guy unless he really wants to go to MSU. Croom has done an outstanding job of getting players that really want to be at MSU. The only way to get the top guys to want to come there is win. </p>

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
The Blitz article dated 2/20/08 explains everything. Those who have access, go refresh your memory.

Nutshell: He's fine with State recruiting other QB's.</p>

G

Goat Holder

wouldn't be quite as big as Mustain and Nutt, but it would be big. But still you can't make guys want to play for you. You do that, then, well, you see what happened at UPig. A successful coach gets fired, and the QB transfers.

ColMuldrow

Apr 3, 2007
Goat Holder said:
I think it's as simple as Henig getting hurt, now we need more depth. Nothing more, nothing less.</p>

That makes absolutely no sense. Henig graduates next spring so the number of quarterbacks we had or were recruiting shouldn't have been affected in the least by a guy who leaves a year early but wasn't going to be there anyway. </p>

gdogg

Feb 24, 2008
who signed out of state and rode the pine all four years. I can't remember them all but it is a several of them. It seems they committ and then that school signs two other QBs from their IN-STATE crop and the MS guy rides the damn bench. Croom needs to get in his face and let him know that all things equal the local kid is getting the nod, regardless! Benchriders: Who is the guy that went to Ga Tech? The guy at Georgia? Freakin' Jimmy Johns, The guy that went to Auburn (came out with Fant's class), not Campbell (who is the only one I can think of that panned out except the toolshed that went to Florida, and we spanked him).
</p>

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Columbus Dawg said:
I think it was more a case of a promise that we made to him and his dad that we went back on. We told them point blank that he was the only QB we were going to sign. A few weeks later, we offered Tyler Russell.

</p>And to make matters worse Garrett found out about the offer to Russell from an internet site, not our coaching staff. I think that's what really pissed him off.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Most of those guys wouldn't have been that good if they'd stayed in state either.

B

Bulldoghair

woozman said:
Columbus Dawg said:
And to make matters worse Garrett found out about the offer to Russell from an internet site, not our coaching staff. I think that's what really pissed him off.

that's what i've gotten from all this. i remember reading not long ago where garrett said that. makes absolute perfect sense.....and stupid on the staffs part for allowing it to go down like that.</p>

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
gdogg said:
who signed out of state and rode the pine all four years. I can't remember them all but it is a several of them. It seems they committ and then that school signs two other QBs from their IN-STATE crop and the MS guy rides the damn bench. Croom needs to get in his face and let him know that all things equal the local kid is getting the nod, regardless! Benchriders: Who is the guy that went to Ga Tech? The guy at Georgia? Freakin' Jimmy Johns, The guy that went to Auburn (came out with Fant's class), not Campbell (who is the only one I can think of that panned out except the toolshed that went to Florida, and we spanked him).

</p>

</p>Ga Tech dude was Demarious Bilbo from Moss Point.....got shafted when Chan Gaily took over after his freshman year....he was their version of Omar Conner
UGA dude has been mentioned already: Blake Barnes

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
with the school that he has grown up loving and his parents support very vehemently, then that is going to tell me a whole lot

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
My take on this is very simple:

To quote VH Dawg- If he doesn't want us, we don't want him.

Secondly, if Garrett doesn't want to compete at State and EARN his position like everyone else on the team, then good riddance. The last thing we need is some prima donna who expects everything to be given to them. That doesn't really fit in with what Croom wants at MSU anyway. Personally, I believe that competition makes you better, and the great ones step up. Joe Montana was something like third string at Notre Dame, Tom Brady had to wait his turn behind Drew Henson of all people and then had to wait his turn behind Drew Bledsoe. I think Archie Manning was one of 12 QB's that Vaught brought in. I want somebody to rise to the top, and if Garrett eliminates himself by choice, so be it. I applaud Croom for recruiting as many good players as he can find to help us win, instead of making promises to people like Dontae Walker while Jerious Norwood sits on the bench.

Thirdly, the people that have said that we lied to him- do you not think that Bama, LSU, USC, whoever else recruits Garrett is not going to tell him what he wants to hear? No one goes up to a top recruit and says, "Well, you may play in five years, unless you work hard and earn it." They're going to tell them that they could possibly come in and help right away and that they are a legit talent that can take MSU to the BCS, or whatever else they want to hear. Thing is, this is not the NFL where they can just go to LSU if they don't like our situaiton. It's darn hard to get out of a scholarship, and if a school releases you, odds are you are going to have to go to somewhere like Western Carolina or Samford to play, or sit out a year at somewhere like USM at best. I bet what happens is Bama and LSU will end up recruiting other QB's as well, and then Garrett ends up with us.

DawgBot

Jun 3, 2006
If Croom is unable to get this guy, what hope is their that he will ever be able to land a big time QB recruit? This guy practically fell into Croom's lap...if he can't land him, he's helpless.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
Isn't he supposed to be a "big-time QB recruit" as well?

Just because we don't get Garrett, that doesn't mean Croom will necessarily not ever get a big time QB recruit.

I imagine we could also shift our attention to Clayton Moore as a plan B as well. Also, we could go out of state for a QB. So, we have options if Garrett doesn't come. But let's wait until Feb. to worry about this. I know that if I was a high school kid, and I had all these schools recruiting me, I'd take visits just to get out of school for a little bit, if nothing else. "Hey, Mom, Dad! Notre Dame just offered me a scholarship. Ya'll want to check out Chicago?"

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
Also, let's wait until Garrett officially decommits until we worry about this. As far as I know he is still verbally committed. Yeah, stranger things have happened, (I am from Madison, the home of Doug Buckles after all.) but I would be kind of surprised if he doesn't come to MSU. Shoot, the chance to be an MSU legend would be kind of cool if you were an MSU fan growing up. I know as an MSU fan I would have suited up even after Tech and 10 just because that was my team growing up. I always have told myself that if I get a chance to fulfill a dream, go ahead and go for it. This is something he's only going to get one shot. Also, with his parents big into the MSU alumni stuff and all that, they are probably going to be our best recruiters in this situation.

But that's just me.

Also, Saban, Bobby Bowden and Miles don't have that much of a better reputation than Croom with producing NFL QB's. Yeah, JaMarcus Russell was a first round pick, but he's well on his way to eating himself out of the league. Then you have Chris Weinke for Bowden.

DawgBot

Jun 3, 2006
I am not really that concerned about State getting NFL caliber qb recruits. I just want State to get some QB's that can actually produce at the SEC level.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
I can guarantee you that the recruits are concerned with going to the League. You have to make them think that you can get them there if you are recruiting them.

Of course, I would probably go to USC or Notre Dame if I really wanted to be an NFL QB.</p>

Tchefuncte

Nov 21, 2007
If Garrett is upset that we offered another QB then he needs to check what the other schools that are courting him are doing as well. A five star QB (Russell I think is his name) has committed to LSU and is going to be a stud. They are even talking about the 2010 QB they are going to offer.

I heard on a Baton Rouge radio station that they did feel that Garrett would decommitt from MSU and go with LSU - however, I do not believe anything I hear down in LA because they are so stuck up thier own LSU asses.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login