Looks like we picked up a MBB transfer from WV

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
This effectively replaces our back court. Plus, we can now redshirt Chol.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Ring the BELL
Do Tech bell ringers do that thing on purpose? - Viva The Matadors

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
Think Jans really has a shot at being special here. In my opinion there are a lot of similarities between he and Vic, when Vic first started. Team plays extremely hard and above their talent level, getting out in the community, coaches hard and half-way pissed off, and seems to genuinely care about the players and MSU. Vic took that formula and built something amazing.

Last edited:

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Looks like he started every game last year. Big dude: 6’10, 285. Guess this is Will McNair’s replacement? Hope it’s not Tolu’s:

Don't mean this as a snide remark, but does anyone know if Jans is working on any scorers out there?

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Don't mean this as a snide remark, but does anyone know if Jans is working on any scorers out there?

Truth is, Purcell seems to be really working the portal for what he needs to be a Sweet 16+ contender next year.

Not sure I see that yet from Jans. We learned the limits of D with near zero O last year. I'm fully team Jans, but the needs were pretty clear.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The guy from MRA is straight buckets
I hope so. But coming from an academy school in Mississippi, I'm going to have to see him play before I get my expectations too high. Really, this goes for just about any true freshman regardless of his high school.

Reactions: MSUGUY

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
I hope so. But coming from an academy school in Mississippi, I'm going to have to see him play before I get my expectations too high. Really, this goes for just about any true freshman regardless of his high school.
It’s not the way it used to be….can’t judge the way we used to…..the perennial powers do not have the benefits as the privates.

The coaching, the preparation and money that’s being pumped into the big private schools in MS…..it’s just different.

This kid will produce and we are very fortunate.

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
It’s always been backwards way to look at it to me.
One of those weird terminology leftovers from the old basketball rules from a time when you couldn’t dribble and had to pass the ball to move it.

It made a lot more sense in the era of girls basketball that was 6 on 6, and your team had 3 offensive players in the frontcourt that couldn’t cross the halfcourt line and the 3 guards that had to stayed in your backcourt to play D.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
One of those weird terminology leftovers from the old basketball rules from a time when you couldn’t dribble and had to pass the ball to move it.

It made a lot more sense in the era of girls basketball that was 6 on 6, and your team had 3 offensive players in the frontcourt that couldn’t cross the halfcourt line and the 3 guards that had to stayed in your backcourt to play D.

My mom played 6 on 6 basketball when she was in school.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
“An academy school in Mississippi”

I hope Hubbard is half as good as Malik Newman was at State since he played at one of those bad as.s JPS schools.

I guess you don’t follow high school basketball in Mississippi. MRA is not quite the same as REBUL Academy or Amite School Center.

Reactions: onewoof

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I don't care who they played against as long as they can hit free throws and maybe sink a few 3 pointers.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
It’s not the way it used to be….can’t judge the way we used to…..the perennial powers do not have the benefits as the privates.

The coaching, the preparation and money that’s being pumped into the big private schools in MS…..it’s just different.

This kid will produce and we are very fortunate.
Define produce

patdog

May 28, 2007
“An academy school in Mississippi”

I hope Hubbard is half as good as Malik Newman was at State since he played at one of those bad as.s JPS schools.

I guess you don’t follow high school basketball in Mississippi. MRA is not quite the same as REBUL Academy or Amite School Center.
We'll see. JPS schools were legitimately bad a-s-s in basketball back when Malik Newman came through. And yes, MRA's schedule isn't the old traditional academy schedules from 20 years ago. But week in - week out, overall, it's a pretty weak schedule.

Hubbard may be an All-American. I'm not saying he won't be. Just saying a lot of high school kids make that jump to SEC ball and a lot don't. Let's actually see him play before we put that kind of pressure on him.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
And yes, MRA's schedule isn't the old traditional academy schedules from 20 years ago. But week in - week out, overall, it's a pretty weak schedule.

Weak?

SE Lauderdale (3A Runner Up)
Starkville High
D’Iberville x2
Gulfport x2
Bartlett (TN)
Zachary (LA 5A)
Harrison Central
Newton County
Yazoo City (4A State champions)
Norcross (GA 7A)
West Catholic (Philadelphia, PA)
Tupelo

Reactions: josebrown

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
there's no such thing as a single player being the difference maker anymore in basketball. those days are over.

Hubbard can and will contribute and be a higher percentage shooter than what we had last year. Need about 3-4 more guys that can shoot close to 70% or learn how to get the ball to those that can. And Hubbard will make his free throws.

They say baseball is the game of stats and probability, I would argue that basketball is even more so now.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Jans is gone at his first opportunity. Made sure he had a low buyout. He doesn’t like it here. Just telling ya the truth…
You and he hang out a lot, do you? We are fortunate to have someone so close to the program here on the board with us.

Reactions: Dawgg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
there's no such thing as a single player being the difference maker anymore in basketball. those days are over.

Hubbard can and will contribute and be a higher percentage shooter than what we had last year. Need about 3-4 more guys that can shoot close to 70% or learn how to get the ball to those that can. And Hubbard will make his free throws.

They say baseball is the game of stats and probability, I would argue that basketball is even more so now.
You dont think a single player can be a difference maker? I sure do. If you removed Zach Edey from Purdue this past season, they wouldnt have been close to as good. Same with Timme at Gonzaga. Brandon Miller at Bama. Oscar Tshiebwe at Kentucky. Heck, if we didnt have Tolu this past season...oh 17 I cant imagine.

I think a single player can absolutely still be a difference maker.

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
You dont think a single player can be a difference maker? I sure do. If you removed Zach Edey from Purdue this past season, they wouldnt have been close to as good. Same with Timme at Gonzaga. Brandon Miller at Bama. Oscar Tshiebwe at Kentucky. Heck, if we didnt have Tolu this past season...oh 17 I cant imagine.

I think a single player can absolutely still be a difference maker.
No they can't single handedly win. Of course they can be a difference maker in wins and losses.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
No they can't single handedly win. Of course they can be a difference maker in wins and losses.
Ok, I am not trying to be a dick here, you had earlier said 1 player cant be a difference maker anymore so I responded to that. But to clarify, you do think they can be a difference maker. Cool then.

I agree that the time when a single player could single handedly win is over. I really dont remember a time when that was ever the case, whenever that was, it was before I was born. Even Maravich in the 60s wasnt able to single handedly win most games despite averaging like 43ppg- LSU was pretty bad for a few of his years there.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
If we'd had a Timmy Bowers or a Darryl Wilson I think we would have made at least the Sweet 16 this year. Conversely, if we didn't have Tolu we would have been far, far worse.

I get what you are saying here - that just having one player won't do it. But having 2-3 really good college or NBA-level prospects on a team can do wonders for your season. (I know, I know - duh).

Reactions: mstateglfr

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
If we'd had a Timmy Bowers or a Darryl Wilson I think we would have made at least the Sweet 16 this year. Conversely, if we didn't have Tolu we would have been far, far worse.

I get what you are saying here - that just having one player won't do it. But having 2-3 really good college or NBA-level prospects on a team can do wonders for your season. (I know, I know - duh).
Timmy Bowers is 41 and Daryl Wilson is damn near 50***

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login