LSU Defensive End Gaye: "it was easy to shut down"

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
"We were wired the whole game like, 'We've got to talk. We've got to communicate,'" senior defensive end Ali Gaye said. "Because we knew they were gonna try to move some things around to mess with our eyes, but we've just got to be disciplined with our eyes. And they did the same things over and over in the game, so at some point we caught onto it and it was easy to shut down."

Some teams find it easy to stop the Air Raid. It doesn't always work the way it did at Auburn or A&M.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That's with a lot of repetitive offenses that don't make adjustments and change things up

was21

May 29, 2007
Only thing constant is change. Air bone offense defies this truth under leach so it ain't legit

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Only difference between Leach and Mumme, is that Leach will not coach at Belhaven because he will be hanging out in Key West.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I would disagree. I've seen leach run the ball more than I though he would this season and something besides a draw. We've even used crossing motion from slots. Last night we just made the wrong reads to run into a heavy box when we should have thrown but when we did the receiver dropped it.

They also overloaded the sides and we didn't adjust the blocking to help. Or didn't seem like it

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
We had to some pretty vanilla play calling at times that worked for both Jackie and Mullen. How many times did Merlinz tell Relf, "just take the snap and run" and it worked. We had better lineman back then, though. Last year Kiffin picked us against Auburn and sarcastically said something like Leach is one of the best play callers, or offensive minds, in the game. He doesn't think much of the Air Raid. But, it was unstoppable in the second half against Auburn.

Last edited:

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
Bahh we were just being vanilla to hide all the crazy stuff Leach has up his sleeve for the rest of the season

�� �� �� �� ��

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
The LSU defensive line just beat the offensive line. Couple that with dropped passes leading to squandered opportunities and the game is a wrap. Scheme wise LSU was well coached but the biggest difference was quality of player.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
Yes

The LSU defensive line just beat the offensive line. Couple that with dropped passes leading to squandered opportunities and the game is a wrap. Scheme wise LSU was well coached but the biggest difference was quality of player.

That was the difference in this game. Going into the season, most of us had concerns about the OL. That showed in this game. Many of Will's throws were rushed because they had to be, and a number of his decent passes were dropped.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
This quote is a perfect example of why our ceiling playing in the SEC West with ML is 8-4. We are a very predictable, average, middle of the road SEC team. We will always beat someone who we shouldn't beat, and lose to someone we shouldn't lose to. We should not have lost to that LSU team. We will beat A&M again for the team that we shouldn't beat. (maybe it's Arkansas this year but I doubt it) Here's how we finish the season 7-5.

Bowling Green - W
Texas A&M - W
Arkansas - L
Kentucky - L
Alabama - L
Auburn - W
Georgia - L
East Tn State - W
Ole Miss - W

See you cats in Jacksonville for New Years.

I love you,
GOJ

Where'sWaldo

Sep 24, 2012
This quote is a perfect example of why our ceiling playing in the SEC West with ML is 8-4. We are a very predictable, average, middle of the road SEC team. We will always beat someone who we shouldn't beat, and lose to someone we shouldn't lose to. We should not have lost to that LSU team. We will beat A&M again for the team that we shouldn't beat. (maybe it's Arkansas this year but I doubt it) Here's how we finish the season 7-5.

Bowling Green - W
Texas A&M - W
Arkansas - L
Kentucky - L
Alabama - L
Auburn - W
Georgia - L
East Tn State - W
Ole Miss - W

See you cats in Jacksonville for New Years.

I love you,
GOJ

I love how people say "Our ceiling with Leach is X". That is the most mindless comment you can make. Our ceiling with this team may be 8 but this is not one of the more talented defensive teams we have had. We have a lot of solid players but the thing this team lacks is elite talent. We don't have a top line 1st rounder at any position on the field. The teams Mullen had that were able to somewhat breakthrough had at least one elite player. My concern in the offseason was that we were over selling guys like Jett Johnson, Nate Watson, Charleton, etc. These guys may be experienced but they do not have elite level athleticism. You can have a few of them and still have a great defense but we have way too many. I think we will be ok offensively but the o line paired with Will's lack of mobility are going to be problematic at times.

However, Leach teams at MSU have consistently shown that one game doesn't typically have much bearing on the next. We can lose to Memphis and beat A&M and Auburn on the road. I still think we can have a good season if we can gel on the line and get a little more toughness out of the receiver room.

Finally, I'm not giving Arnett a pass. The hope for this team was that we would be balanced and win some games offensively and others defensively. LSU has a salty defense and specifically is built to defend us well. Arnett got extremely predictable and gave LSU the game in the 4th qtr IMO. There were 4 straight 3rd downs that we gave up by going Man with our safety against their 2nd best receiver(Malik Nabors). Go watch the tape, we gave an easy read to their QB and gave a 1 on 1 matchup that was not in our favor. That is bad coaching.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Well, so far our ceiling with Mike Leach has been 7. Hes on year 3. If it’s not the most talented, he has to take some of that blame by now.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Gotta take the top off at least every other possession, gotta audible to a run when they offset the line and leave the middle open and shoulda had a safety mirroring that damn quarterback. They had chances to win and simply pissed it away, again

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Really hard to take the top off a defense that’s running at least 2 high safeties every play and has no Play action to worry about.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Then the intermediate throws become the thing. It is easy. Sometimes you just have to bomb one down the sideline just to show you can.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login