LSU likely back to Omaha....

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
with the win for Holman. Jay Johnson just punks us out every time we encounter him on anything. They're on the verge of ripping off several CWS NC's. Johnson is college baseball's version of Nick Saban. Almost no point in going up against either of them for a recruit/transfer they REALLY want.

• Haha
Reactions: RiceDawg

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
with the win for Holman. Jay Johnson just punks us out every time we encounter him on anything. They're on the verge of ripping off several CWS NC's. Johnson is college baseball's version of Nick Saban. Almost no point in going up against either of them for a recruit/transfer they REALLY want.
Possibly true, but I also think our fanbase tends to underestimate the impact of a recruit coming in and seeing a national championship contending level of excellence on one side. Meanwhile, a 2-year steaming pile of garbage on the other. If I’m an upperclassman transfer, I sure know where I’d want to spend my last season of college ball.

Also, think about this. The HUGE advantage that Johnson has right now? Lemonis had the same thing two short seasons ago and completely pissed it all away to put the program in the state that it’s now in.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
The only good thing about not getting him is that Lemonis will either sink or swim with the players he recruited. He won’t have a one year band-aid transfer to save him.

Reactions: JoeSchmedlap

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
NIL and the portal are gonna ruin baseball faster than any sport.

was21

May 29, 2007
May just have something to do with dollars, not the corch.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Jay Johnson….a 10 foot tall beast-man who showers in grain alcohol, and feeds his babies shrimp scampi.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcdawg22

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Saban built three programs and got NC at two of them. This guy is no Saban. If you want to compare Saban to any LSU coach, please compare Skip Bertman.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Remain Calm All Is Well GIF

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Also, think about this. The HUGE advantage that Johnson has right now? Lemonis had the same thing two short seasons ago and completely pissed it all away to put the program in the state that it’s now in.
He didn't have that advantage last year, and landed Skenes and Tanks. So that's not valid.

The real advantage? Marucci.

But even with that, they are just a higher level recruiter than us. Always have been. That's why I do not like Lemonis' recruiting strategy. He's trying to act like we're Alabama or Georgia, and we're more like Clemson or Auburn (football).

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Now fellas, this Holman kid is good, yes. But I'm sure Lemo has some D3 or NAIA guy with a 4.50 ERA and 1.5 WHIP just waiting in the wings to take the ball for us on Friday nights.

May 20, 2023
I think it just boils down to brand in the big picture. lsu has a big name across all sports and while it is definitely not my thing, baton rouge is probably more attractive than Starkville to the average person.

On the baseball side, Lemonis has zero to show recruits when it comes to developing players (especially pitchers) and how do you explain National Title to 2 straight years of total ****, especially when you have the portal to rebuild the roster instantly.

I dont see Lemonis surviving so if Wake has another crazy year of good pitching, go get Muscara and prey that he is a good HC and recruiter. He is the big name with pitchers right now and that is what wins games.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Holman is good but he is no Skenes. He will get 6 or 7 wins for them.

Skenes is about twice as good as Holman based on ERA and win totals. Would have been nice to have at MSU but not a season changer like Skenes was. So drop the CWS back to back talk based on this pickup. Count it as one game loss when he pitches against us this year.

Reactions: eckie1

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Holman is good but he is no Skenes. He will get 6 or 7 wins for them.

Skenes is about twice as good as Holman based on ERA and win totals. Would have been nice to have at MSU but not a season changer like Skenes was. So drop the CWS back to back talk based on this pickup. Count it as one game loss when he pitches against us this year.
Agree this is no season-changer for them, hell they already had 3 quality starters. It hurts much much worse for us losing our best hope at a true Friday night guy than it helps them.

Reactions: eckie1

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Agree this is no season-changer for them, hell they already had 3 quality starters. It hurts much much worse for us losing our best hope at a true Friday night guy than it helps them.
This is exactly why he chose LSU. Less pressure to be the man.

He was already the Friday night guy at Alabama, I never saw the attraction to come to MSU to just do the same thing.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
He didn't have that advantage last year, and landed Skenes and Tanks. So that's not valid.

The real advantage? Marucci.

But even with that, they are just a higher level recruiter than us. Always have been. That's why I do not like Lemonis' recruiting strategy. He's trying to act like we're Alabama or Georgia, and we're more like Clemson or Auburn (football).
Maybe not the advantage of having just won a national title, but LSU most definitely had the advantage of a 40-22 season and a postseason while Lemonis had just capped off a last place SEC finish.

Again, if I’m a transfer with one year to play, it wouldn’t be a hard decision for me.

Don’t disagree with the second part, though. I just think Lemonis has forced himself into the position of having to compete with the big boys because he’s done such a god awful job of finding and developing talent elsewhere

Reactions: JoeSchmedlap

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
LSU is the country's premier baseball program. LSU has a lot of wealthy donors with disposable income who like sports. It had a great program before NIL and now it's better. It has great facilities, lots of fans, and lots of young hotties who like baseball players. The expectation is Omaha every year, something that's hardly too optimistic. What concerns me about Lemonis is that he had a better chance the past couple of years to get talent before NIL became really big but he didn't. How many players like Larry can he get from the Southland? So how many on this site would bet big bucks that we'll land a major portal guy when one of the other big SEC programs really wants him? Lemonis has to find guys good enough to help us do what Auburn and Alabama did this year.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
How many players like Larry can he get from the Southland?
Seems to me like he's done a pretty good job. Larry, Ledbetter, Yeagar, Dubrule. His hit rate is pretty high on the position players. Hujsak is going to be a big contributer next year too.

Pitching has been a different story.

But on the other hand, truth be known, it's a little alarming that it's the transfers that are actually coming in and bringing better culture. Our high school guys seem to be the shltheads.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
This is exactly why he chose LSU. Less pressure to be the man.

He was already the Friday night guy at Alabama, I never saw the attraction to come to MSU to just do the same thing.
Guessing it was all about money and Johnson blowing his phone up, must have felt like he was the man again like high school

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Seems to me like he's done a pretty good job. Larry, Ledbetter, Yeagar, Dubrule. His hit rate is pretty high on the position players. Hujsak is going to be a big contributer next year too.

Pitching has been a different story.

But on the other hand, truth be known, it's a little alarming that it's the transfers that are actually coming in and bringing better culture. Our high school guys seem to be the shltheads.
We'll get a few of those one-year guys and some will be good. So do other SEC schools. Lemonis hasn't shown that he can win under the new era. This really should be his last year if he doesn't make a regional. It's pitching that's gonna get us to a regional. There are good-enough pitchers at non-SEC schools he should recruit hard.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We'll get a few of those one-year guys and some will be good. So do other SEC schools. Lemonis hasn't shown that he can win under the new era. This really should be his last year if he doesn't make a regional. It's pitching that's gonna get us to a regional. There are good-enough pitchers at non-SEC schools he should recruit hard.
The "new era" is not really the issue here. Things haven't changed that much for us. We aren't talking about matching LSU here, we're talking about making the damn NCAA tournament. Or better yet, not finishing dead last in the conference. NIL isn't the biggest hindrance to that.

I pretty much agree with everything else you said there. I'm no Lemonis super fan here or anything.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
And if it’s NIL that’s preventing us from getting guys like Skenes and Holman, I expect to hear it from the man running our program. Not guesses and conjecture from a message board.

Unfortunately, we’re all left guessing again since Lemonis doesn’t like to clue a soul in to anything going on within our baseball program, and we’ll enter the ‘24 season with some of the lowest fan expectations for MSU baseball this millennium

Reactions: bully12

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
If we start losing guys to the likes of Kentucky, that is, someone with little connection to Kentucky, a mediocre to decent program, then we'll get a better idea of where our program and Lemonis stands with current recruits. There are some mid-tier guys we could use. Instead of Lemonis saying we are the premier program and others pointing out our stadium and fan support, we need to figure out how to rebuild what was a top program. We can do that, it's not all doom and gloom, it's just that the coach who looked like an awesome hire after we missed on bigger names hasn't shown much to inspire confidence that he's the guy who knows how to build a great team.

Reactions: patdog

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I already bracing for a crappy baseball season. Then it will take a few years like it did Cohen to get it turned around. Let's just hope Basketball keeps building and football not to collapse.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
“Well shucks I guess it’s all about money”- fans of team that finished 14th and 13th the last two years

The best portal hitter went to Florida. The two best portal pitchers went to Wake and Arkansas. Let’s stop using LSU as some excuse for why we are struggling.

Reactions: was21 and patdog

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
If we start losing guys to the likes of Kentucky, that is, someone with little connection to Kentucky, a mediocre to decent program, then we'll get a better idea of where our program and Lemonis stands with current recruits. There are some mid-tier guys we could use. Instead of Lemonis saying we are the premier program and others pointing out our stadium and fan support, we need to figure out how to rebuild what was a top program. We can do that, it's not all doom and gloom, it's just that the coach who looked like an awesome hire after we missed on bigger names hasn't shown much to inspire confidence that he's the guy who knows how to build a great team.
THIS!!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login