LSU Line

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
So DraftKings already has the LSU line out. We're -1 to open. Got me thinking have we ever been the betting favorite there? Maybe 98 and/or 2000?

I know, I know as a fan and someone who in no way impacts the outcome of our games my focus should be solely on the game ahead of me. Need to take it one game at a time. Can't look past anyone but still.....

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
So DraftKings already has the LSU line out. We're -1 to open. Got me thinking have we ever been the betting favorite there? Maybe 98 and/or 2000?

I know, I know as a fan and someone who in no way impacts the outcome of our games my focus should be solely on the game ahead of me. Need to take it one game at a time. Can't look past anyone but still.....

It's a little early to be looking at that line, but if we are impressive this Saturday, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see us as road favorites in that game. And then it wouldn't surprise me to see the line move toward LSU during game week, no matter what the teams look like. But to your point, yeah, it's been a long time. 2000 is one of the biggest kick-to-the-balls road game I've ever been to as a State fan. We blew a 4th quarter two TD lead in that game against a team we were much better than.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Oh I cannot and will not bet on us in Red Stick. I was at 98 and 00. I'm scarred for life.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
. 2000 is one of the biggest kick-to-the-balls road game I've ever been to as a State fan. We blew a 4th quarter two TD lead in that game against a team we were much better than.

I still have PTSD from being at that one…

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
It's a little early to be looking at that line, but if we are impressive this Saturday, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see us as road favorites in that game. And then it wouldn't surprise me to see the line move toward LSU during game week, no matter what the teams look like. But to your point, yeah, it's been a long time. 2000 is one of the biggest kick-to-the-balls road game I've ever been to as a State fan. We blew a 4th quarter two TD lead in that game against a team we were much better than.

Problem is that it should have been a 3 TD lead (or more) without the officials royally blowing the call on the Toefield fumble. I’m also not sure we were much better than them from a talent standpoint. They won the SEC the very next season with most of the same players….they had a **** ton of talent on that roster that was just grossly mismanaged under DiNardo. Was the same case with Saban at Alabama when he took over for Shula, too.

Last edited:

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
It cost us a trip to Atlanta.

Of course, the Arkansas loss was even worse. Win just one of those and we're in Atlanta.

If I’m not mistaken, we went 8-4 and blew double digit leads in all four losses. This after we smoked both of the teams that went on to play in Atlanta that year.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Problem is that it should have been a 3 TD lead (or more) without the officials royally blowing the call on the Toefield fumble.

That's a 22 year grudge you're holding onto, my man. Sounds like a good story for the magazine.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I edited my original post because we actually finished two games behind Auburn (a team we whipped that year). So, we would have (and should have) had to have won both the LSU and Arkansas games to get there.

I still have nightmares about that Arkansas game. For sheer ugliness, one of the worst games I've seen us play, especially as good as we were.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
That's a 22 year grudge you're holding onto, my man. Sounds like a good story for the magazine.

Ha, I wasn’t around for the Egg Bowl in the 80’s with the phantom pass interference, so that and 2001 BYU are tops for me in terms of referee screw jobs for me.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Not to mention just 1 defensive play against USCe from winning that one. Ugh what could have been. Sorry to trigger everyone

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Not to mention just 1 defensive play against USCe from winning that one. Ugh what could have been. Sorry to trigger everyone

And also had a 16-0 lead in the Egg Bowl before our defense got embarrassed the rest of the night.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Ha, I wasn’t around for the Egg Bowl in the 80’s with the phantom pass interference, so that and 2001 BYU are tops for me in terms of referee screw jobs for me.

Be glad you weren't.

One thing that a referee never wants is for a fan base to know his name. It's a sure sign that he 17'ed up at some point. And the name Dick Pace is pretty infamous among dawg fans of a certain age.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I was at Tiger Stadium in 2000... Sat in row 2 in the corner. Couldn't even see the field really but on the second play from scrimmage the seas parted behind the end zone and Terrell Grindle was running directly at me with the football.

Started so good. Drank so much whiskey. Ended so bad.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I was there and I'm still holding that grudge too. He fumbled on the 5-yard line and they called it a touchdown. We still should have won by 2 touchdowns though.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
I was at Tiger Stadium in 2000... Sat in row 2 in the corner. Couldn't even see the field really but on the second play from scrimmage the seas parted behind the end zone and Terrell Grindle was running directly at me with the football.

Started so good. Drank so much whiskey. Ended so bad.

Can’t remember which LSU touchdown it was, and we were still ahead, but the stadium went completely nuts. You could literally feel the momentum flip. My buddy and I looked at each other and said (maybe telepathically), “we are about to lose this game”.

At the time, LSU fans said it was a Top 3 loud game at TS. After The Earthquake Game and maybe one against USC.

We were in the endzone, and when leaving the stadium, water was completely pouring from the upper deck directly over the one exit. Not sure if it’s true but someone said they stopped up toilets on the upper deck intentionally..
Then when we got out, it was mayhem and I had what looked like a 12 yo girl get in my face saying “we kicked your ***!”

true story, the only time I ever saw LSU lose in TS, was the one OM game I went to when Manning was QB. Quietest I’d ever heard that stadium. Pissed me off.

Never saw a State win there, including games where I was sick as a dog, complete torrential downpours, 11am scorching game, 2000, ..etc, etc..

I loathe that place.

Last edited:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Can’t remember which LSU touchdown it was, and we were still ahead, but the stadium went completely nuts. You could literally feel the momentum flip. My buddy and I looked at each other and said (maybe telepathically), “we are about to lose this game”.

At the time, LSU fans said it was a Top 3 loud game at TS. After The Earthquake Game and maybe one against USC.

We were in the endzone, and when leaving the stadium, water was completely pouring from the upper deck directly over the one exit. Not sure if it’s true but someone said they stopped up toilets on the upper deck intentionally..
Then when we got out, it was mayhem and I had what looked like a 12 yo girl get in my face saying “we kicked your ***!”

true story, the only time I ever saw LSU lose in TS, was the one OM game I went to when Manning was QB. Quietest I’d ever heard that stadium. Pissed me off.

Never saw a State win there, including games where I was sick as a dog, complete torrential downpours, 11am scorching game, 2000, ..etc, etc..

I loathe that place.

The two scores that made that place quake that night was the tying TD because it was late in the 4th quarter, and then if my memory is correct, the OT TD. They scored first and we didn't match.

Another repressed memory from that night is that we had the ball at midfield with something like 10 seconds and a timeout, and Madkin didn't even try to complete a pass downfield to set us up for the winning field goal....he rolled right and threw the ball about 20 yards out of bounds. If we gain about 10-15 yards on that play, we could have called timeout and ran Westerfield out there for a 48-50 yarder.

Of course, Madkin trying to run for the first down on 4th and 2 in OT and losing a yard to end the game was also a gut punch. He played well for most of the game but he really sucked late in that game.

Last edited:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

I loathe that place.

When you talk of torrential downpours, I assume you are referring to 1996. I remember being excited that they were forced to have to play a day game that day. The PA Announcer jumps on and says "Chance of rain, NEVER." Then it starts raining. It rained Biblically for four hours that day. May be the most miserable game I ever sat through as far as the elements go, along with Arkansas 2000.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
And also had a 16-0 lead in the Egg Bowl before our defense got embarrassed the rest of the night.

I think that Egg Bowl was a case of Arkansas beating us twice. We just had a completely deflating loss where we blew an opportunity to win the West in horrible weather 4 days beforehand, then had to turn around and play a road game in horrible weather against an OM team with a 2-game losing streak in the series and a huge ax to grind. We actually started out well, but as soon as we hit just a little bit of adversity with Madkin being unable to play through the flu, we folded like a cheap tent. Fant just wasn’t ready for that stage, and the D basically quit.

Aug 15, 2011
Wasn't that the game Taite hit a wide open receiver that had NO ONE around him

When you talk of torrential downpours, I assume you are referring to 1996. I remember being excited that they were forced to have to play a day game that day. The PA Announcer jumps on and says "Chance of rain, NEVER." Then it starts raining. It rained Biblically for four hours that day. May be the most miserable game I ever sat through as far as the elements go, along with Arkansas 2000.

like 20 yards in any direction, and he drops it. Like dead in the numbers, perfect pass, and drops it. Could've walked in the end zone. I think we lost that game by one score, so it could've led to a win. That's what I remember about that game.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
like 20 yards in any direction, and he drops it. Like dead in the numbers, perfect pass, and drops it. Could've walked in the end zone. I think we lost that game by one score, so it could've led to a win. That's what I remember about that game.

That play sounds very familiar, so you're probably right. We lost that game 28-20, so even if we scored on that play, we weren't winning because JWS teams had some weird aversion to successful two point attempts.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
After reading everyone's bad memories I'm so glad I have CRS (Can't Remember ****). I'm a much happier person.

BTW two weeks ago I got us +3 in Baton Rouge.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007

that might be it. (Ed: can’t be the same, the one I was at was at night)

I still have the shirt I wore to that game. It was a brand new maroon, “Mississippi State Football” T-shirt, after that game, every other article of clothing I had on, had a pink hue. I should take a picture of it today. Can’t seem to let go of it…it’s my Golden Boy.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
After reading everyone's bad memories I'm so glad I have CRS (Can't Remember ****). I'm a much happier person.

BTW two weeks ago I got us +3 in Baton Rouge.

hah, I’m similar in that I cannot remember details of certain plays, etc like many can. I just recall the overall experience

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
I have PTSD from that 2000 game. So loud I couldn’t hear my friend next to me. We drove the length of the field into the student section to tie it. Sherrill should have gone for 2. I believe to this day if Pork Chop Womack didn’t get injured we win it. His replacement gave up a sack on the final drive before end of regulation. Blew 2 14 point leads in the game.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
I think that Egg Bowl was a case of Arkansas beating us twice. We just had a completely deflating loss where we blew an opportunity to win the West in horrible weather 4 days beforehand, then had to turn around and play a road game in horrible weather against an OM team with a 2-game losing streak in the series and a huge ax to grind. We actually started out well, but as soon as we hit just a little bit of adversity with Madkin being unable to play through the flu, we folded like a cheap tent. Fant just wasn’t ready for that stage, and the D basically quit.
Mario Hagan also got injured in the OT that never should have happened in the Arkansas game.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
State fans really should never be confident when we play LSU. We win, what, once a decade, maybe? LSU fans don't ever think they'll lose to State. Not going to Tiger Stadium this year but will be at a party with about 25 LSU fans and only one guy, me, with State swag. Even my wife is wearing an LSU jersey. Hoping for a win, planning to drink a lot of beer and eat good food.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login