LSU opinion....

Aug 8, 2022
Long time lurker-first time poster......

It seems most years we play LSU early, and the narrative is along the lines of....not a must win, but if we can find a way to beat them our season will be in good shape early. This year, I think LSU has more on the line in this game than we do. If we win, we are 3-0 soon to be 4-0 and rolling into the meat of the season. If we lose, our goals/realistic expectations are still within reach. If LSU loses, it gets really dark really fast for Brian Kelly.
Thoughts?

State by 5, take the over....

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
LSU fans already are not crazy about the guy acting stupid in off season. Most think he will win but it will take some time. Radio down here some expected him to lose the first game. Now if he comes out and loses to state his first time in BR they will go apeshit. They expect to beat us every year never mind that the last 8 years really hasn't been that bad for us in that. Should have beat them last year.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017

It seems most years we play LSU early, and the narrative is along the lines of....not a must win, but if we can find a way to beat them our season will be in good shape early. This year, I think LSU has more on the line in this game than we do. If we win, we are 3-0 soon to be 4-0 and rolling into the meat of the season. If we lose, our goals/realistic expectations are still within reach. If LSU loses, it gets really dark really fast for Brian Kelly.
Thoughts?

No question, at this moment LSU has more on the line than we do. It won't be Jimbo Fisher time if we go in there and whup that ***, but Kelly will be under the gun the whole season and will have to get some big wins going forward.

The difference as I see it is this. If LSU loses they still have the horses to go on and have a decent season --- maybe not by LSU standards, but they will get some good wins unless the team starts questioning Kelly and implodes.

If we lose and look bad doing it, I am not sure that we can recover to win more than 6 games this year. We need this one badly.

I say we win by 9. Or we should.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I think Kelly will get a pass on this one if we win. He's new and installing a new system with the Tigers which takes time. I think this game means more to us than them. We have the toughest schedule in the West so every game is a grind and we have to take them one at a time. I don't know what to expect from LSU but I like what I've seen from us so far this season. I don't even know what defense they run under this new coaching staff and it may change since they are going against the Air Raid offense. I do like our defense. LSU still has the Saban recruiting system in place with the boosters so they are talented.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009

Thoughts?

Agree, but we will need to win the A&M game if we lose this one.

LSU's fan base will throw in the towel if they lose to us. As others have said, they always count this as a win, so they'll be devastated if they lose it. One of their main media guys on ESPN radio down there, Matt Moscona, has been saying we aren't legit and picked us last in the West, so they're primed for heartbreak over this one.

Aug 16, 2018
Agree, but we will need to win the A&M game if we lose this one.

LSU's fan base will throw in the towel if they lose to us. As others have said, they always count this as a win, so they'll be devastated if they lose it. One of their main media guys on ESPN radio down there, Matt Moscona, has been saying we aren't legit and picked us last in the West, so they're primed for heartbreak over this one.

They will be upset if we beat them for sure. Looking at some of LSU podcasts they give us ZERO chance to win this game.

Now, if we go into BR and embarrass them with a really lopsided score there will be a nuclear meltdown in their fanbase.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Moscona is always dogging us. I figure his girl left him for a Bulldog at some point in the past.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Welcome a few questions
Do drink from a Yeti or store ice in one for months on end
do you uses Dales’s?
Do you drive an electric auto?
how do you view kids riding golf carts to the neighbors instead of walking or running?
If you catch your kid looking a playboy or PPV movie do you let it slide?
where does your father in law wash his hair?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Correct they expect it. We are still the bulldogs that always lose to them. Granted history is in their favor on this, but we have done well against them and it's been close a lot games going back to the first part of the Mullen era.
2018 we only scored 3 and 2011 we score 6. Last time we played there we won and looked good doing it.
Last years was close.
2019 their best team only beat us by three touchdowns and a safety. I blame morehead for the 2018 and 2019 games offensive production.

They are the inexperienced team without an identity yet this year. We have experience and have an identity of who we are. It's still Baton Rouge but I have more confidence than I did last year against them

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
We can survive a loss but it does put a lot of pressure on us in October and November. We have a brutal stretch of games after Bowling Green that doesn’t let up until ETSU in Week 11.

I feel like if you lose to LSU then A&M and Arkansas become massively important games, especially at home.

Kelly will get a pass for Year 1 and they’ll largely blame it on Orgeron if they have a bad year. And they’ll also point out that Kelly’s first two years at Notre Dame were pretty meh, they finished unranked both years. But they’ll definitely expect results next year.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
They just have that elitest attitude toward our program being beneath them but I guess if your team has beaten the other team to the tune of 50 or 40 something to 7 or 0 several times

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think the A&M game is more winnable than the LSU game. I fully expect us to lose this weekend.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah playing in Baton Rouge is never easy. They have st least played hard. TAMU looked like dead team walking prior to App State

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I know Kelly has a hell of a pedigree but I've seen some pretty spectacular hiring disasters along the way, several at LSU. The odds of Kelly being successful are high but not a 100% given. I just hope we can beat their *** and contribute to Kelly being a flop that takes several years to recover from.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm in the minority, but I'm not sure he's got what it takes to win in the SEC. Winning at Notre Dame is easy, although they've made a lot of spectacularly bad hires over the years that managed to not win much. And the SEC ain't Grand Valley or Cincy.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Tell Marcus Freeman that. But yeah, he could fail. I think he will struggle this year and get it straight over a couple years. He has too big a contract to get canned anytime soon. Wait....tell that to Scott Frost....lol

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Kelly will not make it at LSU. He's a good coach but he is really a out sider that the players, the guys he recruiting and the fans will not ever be able to relate or gravitate to. He looks like a old man with a college boy voice.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah. I wasn’t impressed with that hire either. I certainly don’t think Kelly is going to another Gerry Dinardo. Just not sure he’s going to average more than 8 or 9 wins per year. Which is great at a Mississippi State, but not what LSU is paying him to produce. And I admit, I could easily be wrong about that.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That's true but how many times in the last two decades. Not many. Better than in the past but still not many. Still one of the hardest places to play in the road

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
He's thinking if Miles and Orgeron can win a natty at LSU, so can I. And he has a point. The talent pool that falls into your lap there covers for a lot of shortcomings.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Kelly said he has our offense figured out. He plans to switch the defense around to confuse our QB and styme our offense. He said our offense is simple but effective due to repetition so they will concentrate on what we do and tackle well and it will work out. Guess we should just forfeit the game now that he's got our number.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
I’d wager that Moscona openly insults MSU more than any OM radio personality. At least he did back when I still listened to him.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Of course what he's leaving out is they don't have nearly as many defensive reps preparing to stop our offense as we have offensive reps in running it. I mean, hell, how else would you defend ANY offense other than "concentrate on what they do and tackle well?"

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
It’s just that simple. He’s a genius! I’m surprised he hasn’t been banned from casinahs for being such a savant.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
That Will Rogers kid is pretty damn smart overall and really smart in an offensive football sense.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007

Thoughts?

I can see the argument that this game is bigger for them for this year only, but I think it's much bigger for us in the big picture. Kelly is in his first year. This was never going to be *the* year for them. It very well might be for us. We need to win most of the toss-up games.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
Winning at Notre Dame is easy
I don't know that winning anywhere is "easy," but I certainly don't see how winning at ND is easier than winning at LSU. Their last two coaches were a grass-eater and a Neanderthal, yet both won a national championship.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
My main concern is their potential ability to disrupt the offensive rhythm and force long third downs. I’m not concerned with their crowd, especially if the Dawgs can build a decent lead. I think Arnett can put Daniels into tough situations and force mistakes but they may gash us a few times. Their big plays have to be limited to 20ish yards rather than 60 yard scores. They can’t out-finesse Leach so State has to control the flow. If State does their thing, Dawgs by two possessions minimum!

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Our series with LSU has been very competitive since 2014. We've blown them out a couple of times and they blew us out once - their national championship year with Burrow - and we were competitive in that one until late. Every other loss we have against them in that timeframe was a really competitive game.

The days of being scared of them should be long gone. We've won three and easily should have won three more over the last eight or so meetings.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
LSU's D-line is really good. So are their corners. Their top rb is back but not sure how good he is. O-line seems suspect so hopefully we can get some pressure. Their QB runs and doesn't just launch it downfield after scrambling like the Arizona guy. I stopped expecting wins at Tiger Stadium years ago after reality set in. I've see two, though.

Aug 16, 2018
Kelly said he has our offense figured out. He plans to switch the defense around to confuse our QB and styme our offense. He said our offense is simple but effective due to repetition so they will concentrate on what we do and tackle well and it will work out. Guess we should just forfeit the game now that he's got our number.

Switch the defense around to confuse the QB?!

Well, hell's bells, why hasn't anyone else thought of this earth shattering plan before????

That Brain Kelly, he's going places.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Our series with LSU has been very competitive since 2014. We've blown them out a couple of times and they blew us out once - their national championship year with Burrow - and we were competitive in that one until late. Every other loss we have against them in that timeframe was a really competitive game.

The days of being scared of them should be long gone. We've won three and easily should have won three more over the last eight or so meetings.

The more I think about the game the worse I feel about it. I don’t think LSU is all that great but I kinda expect State to blow enough plays to lose control. Tackling and ball security has been suspect at best and LSU is good enough to exploit mistakes. That would track with the recent close games too. State is usually in the game and make huge mistakes to give it away. I don’t think Rogers will blow it, I think his weapons will.

boatsandhoes

Sep 6, 2012
I’m curious if they will play any man

cause I dare them to do that. They used to beat our *** playing man and blitzing all game because their corners could more than handle us 1:1.

They are going to sit back in that 3 man rush all game.

If we can stop their run game, and not turn it over then I think we can win. we can’t turn it over like we did against AZ. I give us a 20% chance to win.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
cause I dare them to do that. They used to beat our *** playing man and blitzing all game because their corners could more than handle us 1:1.

They are going to sit back in that 3 man rush all game.

If we can stop their run game, and not turn it over then I think we can win. we can’t turn it over like we did against AZ. I give us a 20% chance to win.

Nobody really plays man exclusively anymore. There will be times that they cover man and blitz, and times that they drop back in a zone, and times that they mix it up and do some combo stuff.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login