LSU preview

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Gotta hand it to LSU. Everyone thought they were going to suck, and nothing in the non-conference did much to change that opinion (although the win over Wake has aged well). Then they started 3-1 in the conference and people began to take notice. But they followed that up by losing 6 of 7 and it looked like they would just be playing out the string. Just when it seemed like their season was wrapping up, they pulled off consecutive last second wins over two ranked teams - South Carolina and Kentucky - and did it with their best player (Jalen Cook) out with a leg injury. Now they have a feather soft schedule to close out the year and there's a hint of optimism in Baton Rouge.

LSU likes to score points. They are a good three point shooting team and should probably shoot more of them than they have recently. They are also another team who shoots a lot of free throws. Pretty simple formula for us tomorrow night. Run them off the three point line and don't foul. Force them into a halfcourt game and make them shoot from midrange or on the drive.

LSU doesn't appear to like playing defense or rebounding. Offense is always a struggle for us, so it helps playing against a team who isn't all that committed to their defense. It also helps to get extra opportunities through offensive rebounds. It would help to have Hubbard return to form after an off night against Ole Miss.

No word that I can find on Cook playing tomorrow. Jordan Wright, Will Baker and Tyrell Ward will be the other main options for the Tigers. Our old friend Derek Fountain plays significant minutes as well, but is only averaging about 6 and 4.

It's a road game, so I don't have a lot of confidence. Hopefully there will be somewhat of a Kentucky hangover effect for LSU and we can take advantage of it. I think the least likely outcome is us blowing them out. Any other result seems plausible.

Reactions: AlCoDog and Badon

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Looks like we are -2.5 currently. I’m surprised by that number.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Gotta hand it to LSU. Everyone thought they were going to suck, and nothing in the non-conference did much to change that opinion (although the win over Wake has aged well). Then they started 3-1 in the conference and people began to take notice. But they followed that up by losing 6 of 7 and it looked like they would just be playing out the string. Just when it seemed like their season was wrapping up, they pulled off consecutive last second wins over two ranked teams - South Carolina and Kentucky - and did it with their best player (Jalen Cook) out with a leg injury. Now they have a feather soft schedule to close out the year and there's a hint of optimism in Baton Rouge.

LSU likes to score points. They are a good three point shooting team and should probably shoot more of them than they have recently. They are also another team who shoots a lot of free throws. Pretty simple formula for us tomorrow night. Run them off the three point line and don't foul. Force them into a halfcourt game and make them shoot from midrange or on the drive.

LSU doesn't appear to like playing defense or rebounding. Offense is always a struggle for us, so it helps playing against a team who isn't all that committed to their defense. It also helps to get extra opportunities through offensive rebounds. It would help to have Hubbard return to form after an off night against Ole Miss.

No word that I can find on Cook playing tomorrow. Jordan Wright, Will Baker and Tyrell Ward will be the other main options for the Tigers. Our old friend Derek Fountain plays significant minutes as well, but is only averaging about 6 and 4.

It's a road game, so I don't have a lot of confidence. Hopefully there will be somewhat of a Kentucky hangover effect for LSU and we can take advantage of it. I think the least likely outcome is us blowing them out. Any other result seems plausible.
8-15 point loss.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I think it’s a decent matchup for us if we play our game. Don’t get duped into a shootout. Just be patient offensively and aggressive on defense.

I’m not as sold on the “we suck on the road” narrative as some. We’ve played a ridiculous road schedule outside of Georgia Tech (but we didn’t have Tolu) and Mizzou. This is a very winnable road game for us.

Last edited:
Reactions: DawgatAuburn
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login