Lunardi has us in the play-in game now.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I guess it's time to start clarifying this then- IT'S NOT A PLAY IN GAME.

It's the 17ing tournament whether you are able to admit it or not.
On a related note, the SEC Basketball tournaments first day of games are not play in games. Those are just the first round and other teams have a bye.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

On a related note, the SEC Basketball tournaments first day of games are not play in games. Those are just the first round and other teams have a bye.
I bless you in your endeavors to convince them it’s not a play in game but you’ll never do it.

patdog

May 28, 2007

A rose by any other name…. Call it what you want. It’s still a play-in game.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022

What you're saying is that the play-in games are the first round and 60 of 68 teams get a bye. When 88% of teams get a bye, it's not a bye. The other 12% are in play-in games.

In 2013, the tournament tried to frame the play-in games as the "first round" and refer to the first weekend as the second round and third round. Nobody liked that because it was confusing, so they abandoned it in 2016.

Reactions: patdog

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
He’s had us there since the Bama beatdown. And we probably can’t really move up for the next week or two unless teams around us lose. Just an indictment on who we are playing.

Making the First Four 1,000,000 percent counts as making the tourney and it’s not really up for debate. It’s a 68 team field now and has been since 2011.

That said, the goal for this team should be to be safely in, would prefer to see us do that.

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
We’re not a bubble program. We’re a play in game program.

I have my room booked in Dayton for next year.

Reactions: 85Bears

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I know we wouldn't be the first repeat First Four participant, but would we be the first back-to-back First Four participant?

ETA: I don't care about the 16-seed First Four participants.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Play in game = you hear your name on selection Sunday= NCAA tournament appearance

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
What you're saying is that the play-in games are the first round and 60 of 68 teams get a bye. When 88% of teams get a bye, it's not a bye. The other 12% are in play-in games.

In 2013, the tournament tried to frame the play-in games as the "first round" and refer to the first weekend as the second round and third round. Nobody liked that because it was confusing, so they abandoned it in 2016.
I am not saying the play in games are the first round.

I am saying there are no play in games. They are called 'First Four' and are...wait for it...The first four games of the tournament.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Play in games should just be shortened games that are played at halftime during the real games, like peewee games during varsity games in high school.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Its a tournament game. The only reason this asinine argument ever got legs is because the NCAA is so galactically stupid that they made 2 of the games for a 10-seed or whatever it is.

If you’re gonna have First Four, Play-in, or whatever….the 4 games, should….without any mother17ing question….be played by the 8 WORST TEAMS with the winners being awarded the 16-seeds. Having #63 play #64 to see who is #40 is the dumbest idea ever conceived in the history of sports. Not even remotely up for debate.

You do it that way, and no one would ever question if they “made the tourney” or not. MVSU wins the SWAC, loses the First-Four game, who cares. They made the tourney.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
If you lose a play in game, did you ever really make the tourney ?*

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login