M-Braves make it Officially Official…

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
It does seem like the day a city gets a minor league team, the countdown starts for the next move. Anyone see this recent story about how an old minor league stadium in Indy was turned into apartments?

Reactions: patdog

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
What’s even the best case scenario here?

Get Belhaven to use it? Try and book the Savannah Bananas for multiple games?

If MLB teams really are starting to consolidate their minor league affiliates, seems unlikely they’d get another one.

Don’t even know what the next step options would be.

Reactions: RocketDawg

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

If MLB teams really are starting to consolidate their minor league affiliates, seems unlikely they’d get another one.

I'm assuming they'll eventually demolish it and start selling outparcels. Or replace it with hotels, an apartment complex, or more outlet shops. Something that has a chance to bring in money for the owners.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'm assuming they'll eventually demolish it and start selling outparcels. Or replace it with hotels, an apartment complex, or more outlet shops. Something that has a chance to bring in money for the owners.
My guess is it just sits there & deteriorates. It’s not an easy access or in demand location.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

rynodawg

May 29, 2007

I don’t know how they could even staff concessions now for anything major. Even using M Braves employees they can’t handle the crowds for events like the Governors Cup.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
That baseball stadium had nothing to do with the traffic flowing to the outlet mall. Fact is outlet mall stores don't discount their products enough to make them a destination anymore.

If Pearl figures out a management team, the place seats more than the amphitheater. Need to get some shows in there. When they had the Wrestling Extravaganza there, the crowd was pretty big. Need to get a billionaire to build the Mississippi Maulers( a bunch of roided up ball crushers) to play against the Savanah Bananas( a bunch of fruitcakes) .

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
It sucks, but they lasted longer here than any other baseball franchise before them. Like others have said, just bulldoze the stadium and make something that could be sustainable.

Had Harvey Johnson succeeded in getting a team downtown, this probably would’ve been a much bigger blow.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019

Belhaven already uses it but will also play some of their games at Frierson field in Clinton. Turning it into a music venue may be the best option, if there is such a thing as a best option in this case.

The outlet mall is pure trash.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Best case scenario. The stadium color scheme doesn’t have to change either:

Flexing Football Season GIF by Rocket Mortgage

• Sad
Reactions: Mr. Cook

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I can see Pearl in competition with Brandon and the Ampitheater with concerts.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011

The old Stars stadium here was destined to be torn down, but now it's been remodeled and is used for minor league soccer and various high school sports. They're building apartments and a hotel around it as well.

Reactions: Maroon Pug

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Best case is to hope New Orleans or Memphis gets added in the next MLB expansion (not likely) and decide to put their AAA or AA team here because it's close by.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Nashville appears to be near the top of the list if there is expansion to 32 teams.
I bet they put their AAA and AA teams in Birmingham, Huntsville, Knoxville, or Jackson (TN). Or even just, like, Franklin or the Nashville suburban areas. I doubt we get it.

I doubt we get one if New Orleans gets a team too, with Biloxi and Baton Rouge being closer, but there's a chance I guess.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I bet they put their AAA and AA teams in Birmingham, Huntsville, Knoxville, or Jackson (TN). Or even just, like, Franklin or the Nashville suburban areas. I doubt we get it.

I doubt we get one if New Orleans gets a team too, with Biloxi and Baton Rouge being closer, but there's a chance I guess.
The other top candidates are Charlotte, Portland, Montreal, and Salt Lake City.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Nashville already has a AAA team, you’d think they might be on the move if an MLB franchise came to town. Their current ballpark would be prime real estate for the MLB stadium, so I could easily see them taking a wrecking ball to it.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Here’s a better question….why the hell is Smith-Wills Stadium still standing? Its on prime real estate and should have been bulldozed a quarter century ago.

Reactions: Studentdawg06

ll Martain ll

Oct 5, 2014
Jackson's best hope for a new team is probably San Antonio finally moving up to AAA and getting the replacement Texas League team, or possibly grabbing the team from Midland should they want to leave. But Baton Rouge and Shreveport both want a team again, so there's some competition. If Jackson gets really lucky the Sally league will make it's way further west and make it a viable market for a Single-A team.

Jackson unfortunately isn't viewed as a good MiLB market, even though on paper it should be. 600k population, but was still the 2nd lowest attendance in AA (Biloxi being the lowest). Too far from any MLB parent club. Limited airport connectivity.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Here’s a better question….why the hell is Smith-Wills Stadium still standing? It’s on prime real estate and should have been bulldozed a quarter century ago.
It’s been Belhaven’s baseball field since the Senators quit playing there 20 years ago.

Whatever’s not owned by the City of Jackson along that north side of Lakeland is owned by the state…. you’ve got the Sports Hall of Fame and the Ag Museum as neighbors too.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
It does seem like the day a city gets a minor league team, the countdown starts for the next move. Anyone see this recent story about how an old minor league stadium in Indy was turned into apartments?

It'd be a trailer park in Purl.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
It’s been Belhaven’s baseball field since the Senators quit playing there 20 years ago.

Whatever’s not owned by the City of Jackson along that north side of Lakeland is owned by the state…. you’ve got the Sports Hall of Fame and the Ag Museum as neighbors too.
The city and state would have to work together to make something happen there and that's not happening under current leadership. That entire area, including the Golf Course and those little league fields that are rarely used, is ripe for development. The Ag museum doesn't seem to get many visitors either.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

Didn’t Costco initially want to build where smith wills is? Maybe I’m remembering that wrong. Seems like I remember something about the state being unwilling to change the land use.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
The city and state would have to work together to make something happen there and that's not happening under current leadership. That entire area, including the Golf Course and those little league fields that are rarely used, is ripe for development. The Ag museum doesn't seem to get many visitors either.
Belhaven kept Smith Wills Stadium pretty nice. They had a nice scoreboard, locker rooms, etc. The City of Jackson sold it to a group that promotes inner city baseball. They ended the Belhaven lease and high school teams and Tougaloo plays there. Tougaloo's conference had their tournament there last season, I assume its coming back.

It looks awful. They painted it like a circus tent. Basically has walls of solid colors for all the high schools, so you have purple, blue, yellow, green, etc all next to each other.

Pearl still owes north of $2 million on the bonds to build Trustmark Park. I imagine they will try to attract a new team and host the college series for a couple more years and then give up. The Governor's Cup will end when that happens.

For those of you that want to re-live what a horrible decision this was for Pearl ....

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Here’s a better question….why the hell is Smith-Wills Stadium still standing? Its on prime real estate and should have been bulldozed a quarter century ago.
Got a fresh (awful) paint job a few years ago. And couldn’t even give us the baseball logo?

IMG_6229.jpeg

Studentdawg06

Oct 1, 2023
Nashville already has a AAA team, you’d think they might be on the move if an MLB franchise came to town. Their current ballpark would be prime real estate for the MLB stadium, so I could easily see them taking a wrecking ball to it.

When Nashville inevitably gets a MLB team, I expect the standium to join the East Bank revitalization along with Oracle, the new Titans stadium, and etc.

Kojak.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
It sucks, but they lasted longer here than any other baseball franchise before them. Like others have said, just bulldoze the stadium and make something that could be sustainable.

Had Harvey Johnson succeeded in getting a team downtown, this probably would’ve been a much bigger blow.
Plot twist jackson makes a move to bring baseball there and they doze Trustmark park

• Love
Reactions: eckie1

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

It seems the city owns Smith-Wills. They could demo it whenever they want.

And I’m certain there is a local high school or intramural field that could easily accommodate the 37 people who attend Belhaven baseball games. They certainly don’t require a 5,200 seat AA stadium.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login