Madison Central vs MRA

StateJCP

Jul 7, 2021
Since MC won the State Championship they need to play MRA who also won the State Championship to see who the top team in Madison is. MRA has been playing public schools here recently anyway. Play it on a neutral field that game would sell a ton of tickets

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'd like to see it, but pretty sure MRA doesn't want any of that. They'll play 3A public schools, but I don't think they want any part of 6A football. I don't think Greenville Christian could hold up either. MC would wear them down. Greenville Christian did win a close game vs Oak Grove, but Brandon beat Oak Grove twice and Madison beat Brandon twice. But congrats to all 3 schools. They all had great seasons.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
One schools graduates 100 and the other graduates 900. Yeah that makes since. How about the State 3A champion play MC? That's what you are asking.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
One schools graduates 100 and the other graduates 900. Yeah that makes since. How about the State 3A champion play MC? That's what you are asking.
Yeah but the equalizer is the recrootin that MRA and GC do. But they still wouldn't hold up in 6A. If the private schools want to play public, they should make them play up a level. Basically if their enrollment dictates 3A, they should have to play 4A to account for the recrootin.

Of course only about 5 of these private schools have the resources to recroot. But it's certainly time that Prep, MRA, etc. play some public school ball. The MAIS championship just isn't a prize worth winning anymore.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
Never going to happen. MC and MRA played in the same baseball tournament last year and were set to be matched up. School district wouldn’t allow MC to play MRA.

Of course MC would beat MRA. It’s the much larger school. It’s just two different approaches to education and athletics. The difference is generally going to be in the offensive and defensive lines. But to say it would be a 50 point game is disrespectful. mra could play with teams like Germantown or Ridgeland. Mra has some really good players right now just not as many and not as many big guys.

The idea that Mra recruits is funny to me too. Those kids find a place that suits them. A kid can go to mc for free. And, ask mc if it would be for moving the East flora kids to Germantown - the district many of those kids travel thru to get to MC. Mc recruits by gerrymander of district lines.

MC has historically underachieved. Good for them to win it finally.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Yeah but the equalizer is the recrootin that MRA and GC do. But they still wouldn't hold up in 6A. If the private schools want to play public, they should make them play up a level. Basically if their enrollment dictates 3A, they should have to play 4A to account for the recrootin.

Of course only about 5 of these private schools have the resources to recroot. But it's certainly time that Prep, MRA, etc. play some public school ball. The MAIS championship just isn't a prize worth winning anymore.

This is a silly argument. I remember the days everyone said MAis school are scared of public and every public would be every private. Now that private schools beat public school all hear is "I want to see them play the State 6A Champion". There are 6A schools that don't want to play MC or Brandon. There are 6A schools that would avoid MRA. Terry is one of them. It's just hating on MAIS and it not just the bigger MAIS that play and beat public schools. MRA would not beat MC but MRA could be other 6A schools. I would rather see them play Warren Central.

Last edited:

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
Yeh, about half of 6a schools aren’t any good either. Just about all those teams from DeSoto county, except your random years like horn lake. And, the teams on the coast aren’t tearing it up. Petal (most years), terry, murrah, Greenville before it went down in class…. Not good

patdog

May 28, 2007
Ha ha, man. Jealousy isn’t pretty. But you reminded me, I need to have a word with our gerrymanderers. They’re letting the 5* & 4* players that sign with Alabama & Georgia go to Germantown. Talk about underachieving.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
I’m not jealous. I’ve had kids graduate from MC and Germantown.

On 4 and 5 star players, GHS has had exactly 4 - in its entire history. One certainly was overrated. GHS just proves too that you need large numbers of good players - and a coach not stuck in the 80s. Not just a couple players.

What I’m talking about with East flora is - take a look at a map of the county and the districts. East flora might even fit better with Ridgeland than Mc. I understand this is a legacy of when MC was the only high school besides Velma. But it will almost certainly never change although there is a case that it might serve the East flora kids better in terms of travel. I would guess drive time to either Germantown or Ridgeland is less than driving to Mc.

What would Madison be if it went to a municipal school district - without East flora? There was a time when there was a Madison-Ridgeland school. It was terrible in its class. (Now Madison has grown exponentially over the last 30 years too, so it would certainly be better than that. But without the East flora kids, mC isn’t MC)

Seems like MC has gotten finally gotten a good coach after Peterson. They should do well for years to come.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
I looked up distance. It’s almost exactly the same distance from East flora elementary to GHS, than Mc (GHS is actually about a quarter mile closer). It’s a 2-3 miles further to Ridgeland. MC certainly does benefit from having East flora zoned there though

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
Never going to happen. MC and MRA played in the same baseball tournament last year and were set to be matched up. School district wouldn’t allow MC to play MRA.

Of course MC would beat MRA. It’s the much larger school. It’s just two different approaches to education and athletics. The difference is generally going to be in the offensive and defensive lines. But to say it would be a 50 point game is disrespectful. mra could play with teams like Germantown or Ridgeland. Mra has some really good players right now just not as many and not as many big guys.

The idea that Mra recruits is funny to me too. Those kids find a place that suits them. A kid can go to mc for free. And, ask mc if it would be for moving the East flora kids to Germantown - the district many of those kids travel thru to get to MC. Mc recruits by gerrymander of district lines.

MC has historically underachieved. Good for them to win it finally.

MRA has been recruiting for years, but it has gotten worse lately.
Over 10 years a go my co-worker's(who played RB at JSU back in the day) son got a full scholarship to got to MRA and play football and baseball.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
That’s normal in other states. It only offends the sensibilities of public school employees here - or a coach that’s upset he lost a player. You don’t think Public school coaches don’t try to convince an out of town transfer or someone coming from Mais (that’s good) from coming to their school?

What’s the difference between going to mra for free or going to Madison central for free? Most on here are for free choice, right?

Choice of where you want to go to school is just the way of the world now. In college you can transfer whenever and wherever you want. Why not in high school?

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
A player that figured prominently for MC last night actually went to mra to stay back a grade. And then either because he didn’t like it or was able to have that year back went back to Mc. Did having that player benefit Mc? Last night it sure did

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
This is a silly argument. I remember the days everyone said MAis school are scared of public and every public would be every private. Now that private schools beat public school all hear is "I want to see them play the State 6A Champion". There are 6A schools that don't want to play MC or Brandon. There are 6A schools that would avoid MRA. Terry is one of them. It's just hating on MAIS and it not just the bigger MAIS that play and beat public schools. MRA would not beat MC but MRA could be other 6A schools. I would rather see them play Warren Central.

I've seen MRA and Prep both lose to 2A schools the last few years. Let's not get carried away. MRA wasn't as good as last year. Prep sucked this year. JA wasn't great either.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
But don't forget the GC beat Oak Grove.

And GC is a team of communities. It won't stay that way long. Wouldn't be like that now without covid. So they're not your typical situation.
The largest MAIS schools are large 3A/small 4A schools for the most part. They generally have great coaching. They wouldn't win it all much in 5A and 6A regularly without some serious recruiting. 6A wasn't strong this year. MRA hammered the 2nd best 3A team this year. They'd win 3A easily. Probably would 4A. 5A and 6A would be tougher this year. Last year they would've won 5A fairly easily.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login