MAIS Realignment

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Madison St. Joe up to 6A. Parklane down to 5A.

Park Place is a 5A school in all sports that will play 8-man football.

More football details here. Including districts.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Madison St. Joe up to 6A. Parklane down to 5A.

Park Place is a 5A school in all sports that will play 8-man football.

More football details here. Including districts.

Just no good answers in 6A. No one wants to play with the Jackson 4. And they don’t want to play the other either. Public’s won’t play them much. But moving to MHSAA isn’t a great move either.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I'm wondering if Parklane asked to be bumped down to 5A because at least from student enrollment it would appear they have as many if not more students as Madison St. Joe. Their softball team won the championship this year and their football team was somewhat competitive with Prep and Hartfield.

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
Private school divisions are laughable.

JA has recruited a hell of a volleyball team and for what? They played 2 whole games to win a “state championship”.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I'm wondering if Parklane asked to be bumped down to 5A because at least from student enrollment it would appear they have as many if not more students as Madison St. Joe. Their softball team won the championship this year and their football team was somewhat competitive with Prep and Hartfield.
Football is based (or has been) on male only student enrollment — the other sports are total enrollment— in grades 8-11. There have been cases when schools were 6A in football and 5A in all other sports.

Reactions: SteelCurtain74

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Just no good answers in 6A. No one wants to play with the Jackson 4. And they don’t want to play the other either. Public’s won’t play them much. But moving to MHSAA isn’t a great move either.

Don't forget that the smaller schools have travel issues.

4A - Wayne & Centreville and Rossville & Washington are each 170 miles apart. And each pair of schools are in the same district. I really want to see what the all-sports districts look like.

3A - Sylva Bay & Indianola are 150 miles apart. Sylva Bay is one of two outliers in 3A football (the other is Riverfield in Rayville, LA and I bet there's at least one person there looking at the LHSAA). The closest school in their district is Canton Academy. If not for the fact that 8-man football districts are also scattered apart, I'd look really closely at moving down to 2A.

Alabama has long had a steady stream of private schools moving to the AHSAA because of travel issues.

The latest two were Pike Liberal Arts and Tuscaloosa Academy both of which left the AISA at the end of the past school year.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
The big 4 as it is now can go to MHSAA and recruit kids. If they moved to MHSAA there would be some serious rule place on them. Just look at Evangel Christain in Shreveport LA. They played public school and kicked every one's ***. After several years of kicking *** rules were placed on recruiting and they stopped kicking ***.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Hillcrest is 8-man football. This hurts my soul.
At least they'll play football in 2023. They're not playing this year (as is Rebul). 5A Park Place stopped playing football due to numbers this season (I don't remember if they actually played games or not).

Manchester, on the other hand, is moving up from 8-man to play in the 11-man 3A class.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Oh ****, guess I should have read the Tweet.

Hmmm, that makes me think twice about possibly putting my kid in there to play football. I had heard that this 8-man stuff was temporary because all those kids quit this year, but it looks like a 3-year thing to me. That's concerning.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Oh ****, guess I should have read the Tweet.

Hmmm, that makes me think twice about possibly putting my kid in there to play football. I had heard that this 8-man stuff was temporary because all those kids quit this year, but it looks like a 3-year thing to me. That's concerning.
Reclassification means that it'll be at least two years.

Manchester's move to 3A wasn't much of a surprise because their junior high has played 11-man in 2021 - 22.

Maybe ask the folks at Park Place if the junior high is also going to play 8-man or will they play 11-man?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Time for the outsider to ask something that is probably obvious to most everyone else...

Why do private and public schools not compete in the same classifications? Along those lines, why arent both in the same conferences?
If its the concern of recruiting or some unfair advantage, just tag 25% of actual enrollment onto private schools when classifying them as a handicap.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Reclassification means that it'll be at least two years.

Manchester's move to 3A wasn't much of a surprise because their junior high has played 11-man in 2021 - 22.

Maybe ask the folks at Park Place if the junior high is also going to play 8-man or will they play 11-man?
Yeah I think they are solid in middle school and junior high.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Time for the outsider to ask something that is probably obvious to most everyone else...

Why do private and public schools not compete in the same classifications? Along those lines, why arent both in the same conferences?
If its the concern of recruiting or some unfair advantage, just tag 25% of actual enrollment onto private schools when classifying them as a handicap.
Always been the million dollar question. The race/class thing is out the window these days. I think someone just has to step up and do it. I want to say the big schools in Alabama do it (I know UMS-Wright plays 4A ball). And that's all that needs to happen. The smaller private schools can stay that way.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Always been the million dollar question. The race/class thing is out the window these days. I think someone just has to step up and do it. I want to say the big schools in Alabama do it (I know UMS-Wright plays 4A ball). And that's all that needs to happen. The smaller private schools can stay that way.
There just isn’t a ton to be gained either way. Soccer and Baseball would likely see no elevated competition in the 4A region where these schools would likely land. Basketball is already pretty healthy in the MAIS. Football would be improved comp. With a 1.5 multiplier they could be 5A but that isn’t a ton better except for Ridgeland. Additionally moving girls soccer from fall to winter is an issue bc it really doesnt make a ton of sense.

Like I said. No great options and MRA has screwed all 4 of them in finding metro area public comp which is really the best option at this point.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There just isn’t a ton to be gained either way. Soccer and Baseball would likely see no elevated competition in the 4A region where these schools would likely land. Basketball is already pretty healthy in the MAIS. Football would be improved comp. With a 1.5 multiplier they could be 5A but that isn’t a ton better except for Ridgeland. Additionally moving girls soccer from fall to winter is an issue bc it really doesnt make a ton of sense.

Like I said. No great options and MRA has screwed all 4 of them in finding metro area public comp which is really the best option at this point.
Football is all that's needed. That's the playoff that is really a joke (high end of MAIS).

I say make it easy. Make them at least play 5A, because they will likely just dominate the 4A teams.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

No inside info, but if you are talking about why it doesn't happen in general, I don't think they could ever agree on classification rules. Private schools in places where public school is an option are generally going to be better than their enrollment numbers would suggest because borderline athletes from public school would come help fill out their teams. They should have a multiplier on their enrollment. (Although on the flipside, their true stars might go to public school for more competition, making them not as good as you'd expect). But a multiplier that would be fair for private schools with decent public schools in the area would be brutally unfair to schools in areas where everybody that can afford to sends their kids to private schools. They don't need a multiplier. And that doesn't even touch the issue of schools like MRA that recruit.

But even if you look at it individually rather than private schools in general, you'd still have a problem getting people to agree on multipliers and there's not a big incentive for anybody to reach an agreement. If a private school joins and starts dominating, the public school administrators that approved the multipler would get raked over the coals. If the private school joins and starts getting domintaed, then the pirvate school leaders will get fired. Status quo is just safer.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

In a more perfect world, it would be done like the TSSAA does it in Tennessee with separate divisions (one for schools providing grants/scholarships to students & the other being predominantly public schools).

But it's not & a MAIS-MHSAA merger ain't happening either.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
No inside info, but if you are talking about why it doesn't happen in general, I don't think they could ever agree on classification rules. Private schools in places where public school is an option are generally going to be better than their enrollment numbers would suggest because borderline athletes from public school would come help fill out their teams. They should have a multiplier on their enrollment. (Although on the flipside, their true stars might go to public school for more competition, making them not as good as you'd expect). But a multiplier that would be fair for private schools with decent public schools in the area would be brutally unfair to schools in areas where everybody that can afford to sends their kids to private schools. They don't need a multiplier. And that doesn't even touch the issue of schools like MRA that recruit.

But even if you look at it individually rather than private schools in general, you'd still have a problem getting people to agree on multipliers and there's not a big incentive for anybody to reach an agreement. If a private school joins and starts dominating, the public school administrators that approved the multipler would get raked over the coals. If the private school joins and starts getting domintaed, then the pirvate school leaders will get fired. Status quo is just safer.

Huh. This is interesting. It is so foreign and is confusing and seems unnecessary, even after your very good explanation.

In my state, the privates and publics just compete. There is no multiplier even. All schools are ranked by BEDS enrollment data from the state DOE and away you go. Conferences have private and public schools together and are overall generally grouped where schools are in the same classification, though there are always 1 or 2 teams that are one class higher or lower than others in a given sport due to the yearly BEDS data.

At the state tournament level, Private schools dont dominate across all classifications in any sport that I know of and Public schools dont dominate across all classifications in any sport that I know of.
There are traditional powerhouses in every sport, boys and girls, and they are in varied classifications and some are private while others are public.

There is probably a fundamental difference though- only 1 school in the largest classification is a private school. They are really good in football and volleyball too. But all other private schools are smaller than the largest classification. I am not sure about Mississippi, but maybe the largest classification would have a lot of private schools and that is the concern?

Anyways, I know this isnt apples to apples and HS education/athletics in Mississippi will always be unique so it cant be compared, but perhaps it really isnt too unique, especially if there is a multiplier involved.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Brandon Highschool has two former Private School kids on their team and both of them are really good. Kind of reverse.

GTDawg

Sep 8, 2021
What also throws this off is schools drop based on a low number of male students, but once the classifications are set they start recruiting students and build numbers back up... Essentially a school classified as 3A would then start recruiting players and have 4A numbers.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Huh. This is interesting. It is so foreign and is confusing and seems unnecessary, even after your very good explanation.

In my state, the privates and publics just compete. There is no multiplier even. All schools are ranked by BEDS enrollment data from the state DOE and away you go. Conferences have private and public schools together and are overall generally grouped where schools are in the same classification, though there are always 1 or 2 teams that are one class higher or lower than others in a given sport due to the yearly BEDS data.

At the state tournament level, Private schools dont dominate across all classifications in any sport that I know of and Public schools dont dominate across all classifications in any sport that I know of.
There are traditional powerhouses in every sport, boys and girls, and they are in varied classifications and some are private while others are public.

There is probably a fundamental difference though- only 1 school in the largest classification is a private school. They are really good in football and volleyball too. But all other private schools are smaller than the largest classification. I am not sure about Mississippi, but maybe the largest classification would have a lot of private schools and that is the concern?

Anyways, I know this isnt apples to apples and HS education/athletics in Mississippi will always be unique so it cant be compared, but perhaps it really isnt too unique, especially if there is a multiplier involved.
Pretty sure no private school in Mississippi would be anywhere near the top classification. I think there's just enough leftover animosity/rivalry between public and private schools to make it not worth it to the people in charge to rock the boat too much. And I'm not even sure how much of it is leftover racial issues. When I was in college, the most militant anti-private school people I met were from Tupelo, where there wasn't even an MAIS school. They acted like it was virtuous of their parents to send them to a free, well performing and safe public school, like all those parents in the delta paying $5K to $7k per kid to send their kids to a barely adequate, but safe school in buildings that were basically tin sheds with facades wouldn't have loved to be able to have a good public school option.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

No. They'd be in classes 2A, 3A, & 4A.

Madison St. Joe had been a longstanding MHSAA 2A school before they moved to the MAIS for the 2021 academic year.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Don't forget that the smaller schools have travel issues.

4A - Wayne & Centreville and Rossville & Washington are each 170 miles apart. And each pair of schools are in the same district. I really want to see what the all-sports districts look like.

3A - Sylva Bay & Indianola are 150 miles apart. Sylva Bay is one of two outliers in 3A football (the other is Riverfield in Rayville, LA and I bet there's at least one person there looking at the LHSAA). The closest school in their district is Canton Academy. If not for the fact that 8-man football districts are also scattered apart, I'd look really closely at moving down to 2A.

Alabama has long had a steady stream of private schools moving to the AHSAA because of travel issues.

The latest two were Pike Liberal Arts and Tuscaloosa Academy both of which left the AISA at the end of the past school year.
You’re going to see a lot of travel issues in 7A - 5A in MHSAA too with the ridiculously small 24-team classifications. Schools like Hancock, Natchez & Neshoba Central are about to get screwed. I’m sure there will be others.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You’re going to see a lot of travel issues in 7A - 5A in MHSAA too with the ridiculously small 24-team classifications. Schools like Hancock, Natchez & Neshoba Central are about to get screwed. I’m sure there will be others.
I suspect that's a big part of the reason the MHSAA announced they'd do regions and classifications simultaneously this go-around.

Brokerdawg

Jul 1, 2012
Private school divisions are laughable.

JA has recruited a hell of a volleyball team and for what? They played 2 whole games to win a “state championship”.
The question is who are they going to recruit this year. They lost their best 3 players. I'm guessing some kids from Germantown and/or the MB from Prep.

blackjackdog3

Aug 23, 2012
So PCS is 6A, but didn't they have trouble fielding a jr high football team a couple of years ago?
PCS football has been a dumpster fire the last few years. When they play most 6A schools it’s been a slaughterhouse. There old coach was Joey Hawkins who had coached at Jackson Academy and he actually had there program in decent shape before leaving. They brought in some guy who ran the “wildcat” just about every play. We were supposed to play there junior high a few years ago and they canceled there season after a few games because they didn’t have enough players. They did get some guy from Alabama who has won a bunch of private school state championships this year to try to rebuild the program.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login