MAIS released its 2024 football schedule last week…

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Normally whatever changes that occur when posts about the second year of a realignment cycle happen are different schedules, but as we know, MAIS ain’t normal.

First, Discovery Christian out of Florence will be playing 2A football. They’ve been placed in Region 4 which is loaded with schools further away but at least there are an even number of schools in each region?

Sylva-Bay moves from 3A football to 8-man 2A.

This ain’t a huge surprise but I thought it would happen beginning in 2025.

The Saints had been outmanned in 3A football and they play in 2A in other sports. From my viewpoint, they’ve been a prime candidate to move down for years.

One interesting thing is the 2A region they move to — only the furtherest north in MAIS. Other region rivals are Delta, Desoto, and Tunica.

West Memphis Christian School had been in that region but they’re going up to 3A— playing Sylva-Bay’s rivals of last year (Benton, Canton, Central Holmes, and Indianola).

Postscript: Even though this is the “final draft” don’t be surprised if there’s an edit to include the Sylva-Bay — Tunica Region 2A-1 game that isn’t on the schedule.

MAIS gonna MAIS**

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Normally whatever changes that occur when posts about the second year of a realignment cycle happen are different schedules, but as we know, MAIS ain’t normal.

First, Discovery Christian out of Florence will be playing 2A football. They’ve been placed in Region 4 which is loaded with schools further away but at least there are an even number of schools in each region?

The Saints had been outmanned in 3A football and they play in 2A in other sports. From my viewpoint, they’ve been a prime candidate to move down for years.

One interesting thing is the 2A region they move to — only the furtherest north in MAIS. Other region rivals are Delta, Desoto, and Tunica.

West Memphis Christian School had been in that region but they’re going up to 3A— playing Sylva-Bay’s rivals of last year (Benton, Canton, Central Holmes, and Indianola).

Postscript: Even though this is the “final draft” don’t be surprised if there’s an edit to include the Sylva-Bay — Tunica Region 2A-1 game that isn’t on the schedule.

MAIS gonna MAIS**
I'm not sure why they couldn't put Discovery with Hillcrest and Park Place (both 20 - 30 minutes drives) and possibly Prentiss.

Porter's Chapel, BFCS, PVA and I'm assuming that's Christian Collegiate Academy as the final school in the other half of 2A.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013

MAIS gonna MAIS**
Why even play 8 man football? Much less travel that far to do so. I have witnessed 3A private school football and basketball, and both are shockingly awful. But I guess most are there doing it so their kids get to actually play on the field or court. So I guess in that respect, I can kinda understand that somewhat, but to drive 4 hours to play district games for 8 man football? Wow. Small private school athletic parents are insane, first off lol, and delusional to reality.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Athletics is supposed to help enrollment.

But considering that three of the old private schools that won a lot of titles in that low 11-man classification (maybe seventeen football championships combined?) closed in the past few years so maybe that idea might need to be rethought.

(BTW, those schools were Natchez Trinity, Strider, and Heidelberg Academy)

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Why even play 8 man football? Much less travel that far to do so. I have witnessed 3A private school football and basketball, and both are shockingly awful. But I guess most are there doing it so their kids get to actually play on the field or court. So I guess in that respect, I can kinda understand that somewhat, but to drive 4 hours to play district games for 8 man football? Wow. Small private school athletic parents are insane, first off lol, and delusional to reality.
You would think, at this point, that it might be better to just go play another sport/instrument/activity/job.....

But most of those teams still have at least a player or two that are pretty good, and we want to provide opportunities for that, as much as possible.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
You would think, at this point, that it might be better to just go play another sport/instrument/activity/job.....

But most of those teams still have at least a player or two that are pretty good, and we want to provide opportunities for that, as much as possible.
And if that one player were pretty good, and wanted to play that bad, then go play some real 11 man football. If they want the real deal then go play it at a public school. If they’re not good enough to play public then find another little private school that plays 11 man and maybe doesn’t have to drive 4 hours for every district game. Wayne Academy is 20-25 minutes from Bay springs.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Athletics is supposed to help enrollment.

But considering that three of the old private schools that won a lot of titles in that low 11-man classification (maybe seventeen football championships combined?) closed in the past few years so maybe that idea might need to be rethought.

(BTW, those schools were Natchez Trinity, Strider, and Heidelberg Academy)
I think Laurel Christian killed Heidelberg, and apparently is putting a big hurt on Sylva Bay. And I'm guessing Adams Christian killed Trinity.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I think Laurel Christian killed Heidelberg, and apparently is putting a big hurt on Sylva Bay. And I'm guessing Adams Christian killed Trinity.
Most definitely for Heidelberg.

I knew it was only a matter of time when Laurel Christian opened.

Heidelberg used to have two buses going back and forth between Laurel and Heidelberg.

I think there was also a third bus that went between Heidelberg and Sandersville.

I know of at least one person who floated the idea of a Heidelberg - Sylva-Bay merger but that wouldn’t have done well because by that time Heidelberg had been a regional school without much of a base in Jasper County itself.

I might have been in the last class that was at least 50 percent from Heidelberg.

Booo. I thought 1A was the only 8-man level.

Nope. 2A is also 8-man.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I wonder if football (or any sport) will eventually just be de-coupled from schools. I mean private schools are already run like a travel/club team (recruiting each others kids, LOOSELY confined by geography, etc.). There are many areas that have NPOs that administer middle school sports that feed into the high schools, so that's already the start of it.

With the consolidation at the top, seems inevitable. What are there, 4 schools in MAIS top division? I mean there's only like 16 or so in 7A, maybe 24, can't remember. Need to figure out a way to even out the leagues.

Reactions: bulldoghair

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I wonder if football (or any sport) will eventually just be de-coupled from schools. I mean private schools are already run like a travel/club team (recruiting each others kids, LOOSELY confined by geography, etc.). There are many areas that have NPOs that administer middle school sports that feed into the high schools, so that's already the start of it.

Nah. You’ve got home school organizations that have athletics.

Here’s one in Georgia. Friends have had children who’ve played for them:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

I'm just talking in general, not necessarily homeschool.

More I think about it, it'll be hard to do in public schools. They are going to be necessary for the foreseeable future and many kids who go there will never be able to afford to pay their way to play football. This will still rely on tax dollars. So that league stays the same. I wish they'd set some limits on the size of these schools so you don't have just a handful of 7A or whatever.

Even with public schools essentially staying the same, I think the private sector will eventually just overtake public. With NIL these days, there will be tons of sponsorship that will take the poor (but talented) kids out of the public schools. There will just be more and more IMG type places, and private schools will continue to pay the good coaches.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
Laurel Christian had minimal effect on HA or SBA. They don’t even have football. They themselves have even gone way down in registration numbers. They are only like 1 or maybe 2 a in soccer I think. Plus it’s a weird school with weird leadership. They will always be a very small school.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
That’s not usually good news for MAIS.

More than double that.

I went to Heidelberg and Waynesboro was around 40 minutes away

#countryroads

No
Whatever. But still if you just wanted to play small private school 11 man football, it would be worth the drive. Not to mention they are well run and have a really good football coach, that won state championships at Wayne county public and at Laurel. Again, 8 man football and 4 hour district games are retarded lol.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Whatever. But still if you just wanted to play small private school 11 man football, it would be worth the drive. Not to mention they are well run and have a really good football coach, that won state championships at Wayne county public and at Laurel.

Wayne Academy, sure. They can be pretty good. One of my distant cousins was on their state championship teams of the late 90s.

Small school academy ball can be horrible though.

Again, 8 man football and 4 hour district games are retarded lol.
Trust Mississippians to go through the most Byzantine processes to maintain a semblance of tradition.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013

Good point. You have small private schools that won’t play the homeschool organizations anymore because more times than not the homeschoolers end up beating the small private schools. One example would be that Laurel Christian won’t play their local homeschoolers in basketball or any sport because the homeschoolers started beating them regularly. Some of the Jackson private schools will play there local homeschool teams, but I’m sure that would change if the homeschoolers started winning more often. It’s similar to how we and ole miss treated USM. If the homeschoolers started football teams I truly think that would be the end of a lot of small private schools

Last edited:
Reactions: Maroon Eagle
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login