Major losses on defense

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Apparently we had zero replacements for Cam Young, Randy Charlton, Tyrus Wheat, Forbes, Green or Matthews. I guess they signed a few DBs intending to restock but looks like only one of them is actually playing. One is hurt. Are Jones and Rogers hurt ? Pretty sure they have as many PBUs as any of our DBs. And if you know no one can step into those DL shoes why were you not in the portal signing a couple DL ?? A competent coach would not be relying on 2 redshirt freshmen DL.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
The problem is the front seven. No pressure. No speed to contain scramblers. From what I’ve seen the secondary isn’t great but isn’t terrible either. They are being forced to cover for long stretches because we can’t pressure the QB.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
But why did we not make any additions in that area ? They brought in some DBs, albeit unsuccessfully as they haven't played. But no attempts to grab one or two portal additions for the DL ? That is my point. The D is weak across the board. We never actually break a pass up. The few incompletions that are made against are not because of defense

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
But why did we not make any additions in that area ? They brought in some DBs, albeit unsuccessfully as they haven't played. But no attempts to grab one or two portal additions for the DL ? That is my point. The D is weak across the board. We never actually break a pass up. The few incompletions that are made against are not because of defense
Not being aware of the priority Needs/roster management is really telling. look at the portal signings from the prior staff, every single one a quality starter....Polk, Green, Matthews, Banks, Lasoya, Charlton......contrast that with Goede, Raydar Jones an academically ineligible Spivey. This brain trust has no idea what it is doing.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
The problem is the front seven. No pressure. No speed to contain scramblers. From what I’ve seen the secondary isn’t great but isn’t terrible either. They are being forced to cover for long stretches because we can’t pressure the QB.
This is pretty much it. It might sound obvious, but you have to be good at SOMETHING. If you can't cover, you need to be able to get pressure or vice versa. If your linebackers are slow, you have to have DEs that can set the edge. If you can't tackle, you at least need speed so there's help coming. If you aren't above average at something - anything, that opens up the entire playbook for the opposing offense and you'll always be playing reactive and not proactive. Unfortunately, that's where we find ourselves.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Live look of our blitz...

Hungry Breakfast GIF

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I'm just putting it on the coaches. Assess your talent level and fill what holes you can. Then wrap your game plan around what your team is capable of doing. If you are unable to properly assess your team talent and then can not assess the portal talent and then try to pigeonhole your players into a bogus scheme seems like 3 strikes

Reactions: blitz2Win

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Apparently we had zero replacements for Cam Young, Randy Charlton, Tyrus Wheat, Forbes, Green or Matthews. I guess they signed a few DBs intending to restock but looks like only one of them is actually playing. One is hurt. Are Jones and Rogers hurt ? Pretty sure they have as many PBUs as any of our DBs. And if you know no one can step into those DL shoes why were you not in the portal signing a couple DL ?? A competent coach would not be relying on 2 redshirt freshmen DL.
Is Trevion Williams playing? He was highly touted coming in to this year.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Is Trevion Williams playing? He was highly touted coming in to this year.
He was one of the two redshirt freshmen that are injured. They were heavily relying on him and Dinkins it appears. Both are injured, Williams had season ending surgery.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login