Make the case for attending bowl games in the future..

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I understand if it happens to be in your backyard or a NY6 caliber, but are you driving to Jacksonville or Houston to watch a game without several of the top prospects which might get cancelled last minute? On top of all of that, you might get a complete stinker from Leach?

That sounds like a hard pass to me.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I have been passing on bowl games for years, TBH. Last one I attended was the 2013 Liberty Bowl. Maybe one year if we go to a Florida bowl we might try to tie in a Disney/Universal trip or something like that. And if we ever make a Sugar or Peach Bowl I’ll probably try to go.

But I’ve been passing on these mid level bowl games for a while now, doesn’t have anything to do with Leach. That said, our fan excitement over the bowl game will almost always be tied to how the preceding regular was perceived to have gone.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I’m the other way around… I would travel to Tampa, Jacksonville, or New Orleans before I would go to Memphis, Birmingham, Nashville. Hard pass on Memphis since I live an hour and half from there. The Las Vegas Bowl intrigues me.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
There is no case, unless you are single and also vacationing somewhere else in the area. I have no interest in giving my money to the bowl executives, who have refused to pivot over the past 10 years and see reality for what it is. The last one I attended was the 2010 Gator Bowl and while I had fun because we won and excitement was high at the time, the actual bowl/stadium/atmosphere was crap. Bowls are antiquated outside the playoff and MAYBE some NY6 games at times.

I will just be the guy who gives my money to Starkville and MSU. As far as vacations, with more people in tow than just me, I have to be more intentional about exactly what we want to do. Insignificant bowl games rank low on the list.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
I'm not going to any bowls that arent "major" in my view or convenient (ex: in laws live in Nashville)

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah, all that you mention gives people reason to Opt out themselves. Everyone has their reasons for going or not going.

However, I want to say this about playing Memphis and the Liberty Bowl. Since it seems the thing to say this season by State fans is Memphis (city of) sucks, don't play there blah blah blah.

State has a large alumni/fan base in the Memphis metro area. If MSU football can't beat the Tigers *** or win a Liberty Bowl over a 6-6 B12 team....State is going to lose a lot of alumni as fans in the Memphis area. Or at the very least, they are going to do during the regular season just as you suggest with bowls....watch from home.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
There’s a couple of things I need. A positive ending to the season and a weekend bowl game.

Call me obsessed or whatever but ending the season with a bad loss to OM is a buzzkill. Then throw in a bowl game on a non holiday workday and I’m out.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Interesting. Maybe the best way to evaluate is to focus on the city. Because, it’s entirely likely if you plan to spend 3 or 4 days there, the actual bowl experience is the worst part of the trip.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
I think it’s a multitude of things. One of the main things is we are spoiled. We have one of the longest bowl streaks in the nation.

I remember in 2007 my excitement for the Liberty Bowl was about as high as it had ever been as a football fan (I was in 3rd grade when we played for SEC champ). Same with the 2011 Gator Bowl. I went to both.

Fast forward 14 years later, I have zero interest in going to watch us play in minor bowl games unless they switch up bowl locations/conference tie-ins. Outside of that, I have no interest in traveling to watch a minor bowl game.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
If I can wrap a fun trip around it, then I would go. Fun = city I want to visit anyway. Memphis did not hit the mark.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Interesting. Maybe the best way to evaluate is to focus on the city. Because, it’s entirely likely if you plan to spend 3 or 4 days there, the actual bowl experience is the worst part of the trip.

From the casual fan's perspective, that it is a sound assumption. The bottom line is that a bowl game is competing for one's entertainment dollar. Part of the allure of a State (or college) home game is the campus atmosphere. If one is to travel to a neutral site, the stadium/site/city should have some attractive entertainment value.

Speaking only for myself, Memphis, Atlanta, B'ham, Shreveport, and Charlotte (plus a few others) are a hard "no." Intriguing venues that I'd consider might include, but not be limited to, Dallas (AT&T Stadium), Las Vegas, San Antonio, and sites in CA or FL.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I've been to all of them since 2007 except for last season. Memphis, Nashville, & Birmingham (if we ever play in that one) are close enough for me to just make the trip & come home. But anywhere else we would treat it as a mini vacation. Plan to spend ~4 nights away from home, and find things to do other than just going to watch a football game.

My wife teaches, kids are out of school, and I normally take off this week regardless so it gives us a reason to get away. Plus, I want my kids to experience traveling to other areas and this lets us visit some cities we'd never go to otherwise.

I will say if you're going just for the game and coming straight home - I'd recommend just watching it on TV. It sucks to lose a bowl game, and if that's the sole purpose of your trip then its a major waste of time and money.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
That is how we have been treating them. Even Memphis has plenty to keep a family entertained for a 2 day stay. For Tampa/Miami, we extended it to 5 nights and added in plenty of beach/theme park time. For Nashville, we stopped at Shiloh, etc. As long as trip isn’t centered on game itself, it can still be worth it.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
For the casual fan to spend quality time to make memories with a spouse, girlfriend, parent, uncle, children etc. Not really wrapped up into the actual game. And as others have mentioned to enjoy things in the hosting city as well.

There's no tournament in football unless you're the top 4. Enjoy the weekend but don't expect much from the game.

Last edited:

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
I’m a very rare breed I think. I go to so many games - many of them at home obviously. But I’ve traveled to 8 of the other SEC teams’ stadiums for football games, 2 trips to Omaha, the ‘98 SEC Football Championship Game, a couple SEC basketball tournaments, an SEC baseball tournament. I’ve attended a road SEC basketball game and a road SEC baseball series.

But I have never once attended a football bowl game.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Don’t go for the game for sure. You just never know which teams will show up & which teams won’t. If you want a 3 day trip to the city, then sure, go to the game.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
I understand if it happens to be in your backyard or a NY6 caliber, but are you driving to Jacksonville or Houston to watch a game without several of the top prospects which might get cancelled last minute? On top of all of that, you might get a complete stinker from Leach?

The CWS proves that if you put a good product on the field, our fans will travel in great numbers. The problem for the last few years is no different than basketball. It just hasn't been that good of a product to excite people in great numbers. You have to excite and interest the sidewalk fan to get great numbers to bowl games. We had a lot of sidewalk fans in Omaha. I saw it myself.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I’d probably add Nashville to your intriguing list if only because you can go to concerts if you’re also inclined in that direction. I might even shift Atlanta to that side too.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I’d probably add Nashville to your intriguing list if only because you can go to concerts if you’re also inclined in that direction. I might even shift Atlanta to that side too.

I'd agree -- Nashville has very good diversity in entertainment and other sports (e.g. NHL). I've enjoyed my business trips there

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The CWS proves that if you put a good product on the field, our fans will travel in great numbers. The problem for the last few years is no different than basketball. It just hasn't been that good of a product to excite people in great numbers. You have to excite and interest the sidewalk fan to get great numbers to bowl games. We had a lot of sidewalk fans in Omaha. I saw it myself.

CWS is for a chance at a championship and it's multiple games. Closest thing would be a NCAA basketball regional or elite eight. Not the same as a random non tournament playoff football bowl game.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
So far, because of the storm that came through and it delaying me, I am now up to at least 2000 in costs for this trip. Nope, going somewhere warm with my dollars next time.

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
I went to Tampa for the Iowa game…..I’ll never go that far for a bowl game again

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
They have got to play better more consistently. Also getting your *** kicked in egg bowl doesn’t help. Competitive game sure. But nobody wants to go see a team that gives piss poor effort and execution. Of course our long bowl streak has spoiled us as fans. Used to going to bowl was a big deal. I have gone every year that family and work has allowed. Some years the the schedule hasn’t worked out.

Bulldogg31

Dec 9, 2013

I was 30 minutes from the Liberty Bowl and didn’t go. I had zero faith that Leach or the team would be ready to play. It was the right call.

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Probably would only go to a bowl again if they made it to a New Years 6 or somewhere like the Music City Bowl. The Las Vegas bowl when it comes into the tie ins in a couple of years would be intriguing as well if I could find a decent flight

Music City
Cotton
Sugar
Peach
maybe Birmingham since it’s a new stadium and an easy drive

Dog316

Aug 21, 2012

It is part of supporting your team and being with your tribe. It is obviously not for everyone. Many people who post on sports boards only support the team, players and coaches when their egos are stroke with a win. A loss, any loss, brings out the worst in these people. It is the most disappointing part of organized sports. A loss damages their fragile egos, and they resort to attacking the very people they purport to support.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
It is part of supporting your team and being with your tribe. It is obviously not for everyone. Many people who post on sports boards only support the team, players and coaches when their egos are stroke with a win. A loss, any loss, brings out the worst in these people. It is the most disappointing part of organized sports. A loss damages their fragile egos, and they resort to attacking the very people they purport to support.

Support - in all its forms - is still support. Being physically present is not a requirement for supporting the team.

While no one likes losing, apathy is the true cancer for any athletic program. I'll take the worst in people over apathy for this specific example -- at least it's a plus that they are interested.

Plus winning doesn't always bring out the best in people. Ask Saban about his fan base in recent years. I believe the word "spoiled" has been used frequently

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Travel, food, drink, sight seeing, camaraderie....in general just to have a good time. WIN OR LOSE.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
There’s a couple of things I need. A positive ending to the season and a weekend bowl game.

Call me obsessed or whatever but ending the season with a bad loss to OM is a buzzkill. Then throw in a bowl game on a non holiday workday and I’m out.

Was chatting with an Iowa State alum, and he said the same thing about the Cyclones and their bowl game last night with Clemson. As the season progressed and ISU didn't meet expectations throughout the season, this bowl game was looked upon with less favor by their fan base. Perhaps Clemson fans might have felt the same, as well

Last edited:

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Playoffs or the Sugar Bowl. I'd rather save money for a vacation in Europe or somewhere cool in America because there's less chance of disappointment.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I don't disagree, but the CWS is a different class of event than a bowl. People go even if their team is not in it.

I enjoy tournaments -- you get to see teams live that you would not normally see otherwise

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
I'm not going to any bowls that arent "major" in my view or convenient (ex: in laws live in Nashville)

I'll take mine further and just break it down by bowl options. The city makes the biggest difference after the major bowls

Any playoff - duh!
Sugar - Yep! Great bowl and NOLA is always fun.
Citrus - Maybe, Maybe not. Bowl is great but Orlando doesnt have the appeal for me. I might take my daughter to Disney and couple it up
Outback - Yea I'd probably go. Tampa would be a good trip
Gator - Nope. been twice, I'm good
Duke's Mayo - Probably. I'd take the trip to Charlotte most likely
Music City - Yes. My in laws are from Franklin and Nashville is always a good trip
Liberty - Nope. I was even in Memphis the day before and still didnt want to go....
Texas Bowl - Yes. Would love the excuse to go to Texas and I love the new tie-in
Birmingham Bowl - Maybe but not because of the game. Sister is there, Birmingham is fun and I want to go to the new stadium
Gasparilla - see above comment about Tampa but just less excited about the bowl

Its really mostly about the city

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Other than a playoff I'm out. As for the city mattering, I agree 100%. But if there's a city I want to visit I'd rather go when there's not a bowl game crowd rather than when you have to wait for restaurants and attraction because there's 2 fan bases already in town.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login