Making it to The Show…

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
Is there any appreciable difference in the chances of making The Show if drafted out of high school, or playing college ball?

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Think I've read before that drafted college players tend to have a better chance at making it vs. high school players.

Or are you asking - do players drafted out of high school tend to do better if they don't sign and go to college instead? I'm not sure you'd be able to find data on that readily available.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Well, your 1st rounders (and high 2nd rounders) are generally your best overall players period, and those aren't hard to spot. So I'm sure it appears that those guys making it is better, numbers wise, from the high school level. I'd like to see the per capita data. Not sure there is such a thing. 1st round money is often just too good to turn down, and they'll usually make it anyway.

I think the 3-5 round guys should really consider going to school and maturing. Like a Dakota Jordan, Landon Sims or a J.T. Ginn (obviously barring an injury like that one, but they'll usually draft you again anyhow).

Speaking of which, where's Blaze Jordan these days?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I talked to a MLB scout about this some years ago. He said college ball doesn't prepare pitchers for MLB, just because they don't pitch enough. That's all I got.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I talked to a MLB scout about this some years ago. He said college ball doesn't prepare pitchers for MLB, just because they don't pitch enough. That's all I got.
Might be something to this. College is great for hitters, because they get at-bats from great pitching. But there's not a lot of development going on period, especially for pitchers. And the pitching does seem to be once a week, and in longer stints. It's a lot like travel ball - no development at all, and now this has reached all the way down into the youngest of the young.

The system really is broken, in so many ways. And this doesn't matter as far as getting the best talent to the pros - that will eventually happen, they'll find you. What it does is prevent a lot of kids from being fans of baseball at a young age. Whereas football is a lot more 'open' for you, since there's a lack of kids playing it (mainly out of fear). Then you have soccer peeling off a few too. And basketball will always be semi-popular because it's fun to watch and not dependent on the weather if you want to go. A lot of kids have basketball goals too.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
Is there any appreciable difference in the chances of making The Show if drafted out of high school, or playing college ball?
I think in today's world, with all the tools and comp that college has to offer, the guys getting promoted faster, i.e. Gavin Williams from ECU(2021 draft) and Ben Joyce(2022 draft), Zach Neto(2022 draft) will be from college no doubt.

Overall, HS and college, you will have a much better chance at getting to the majors if you signed for a large bonus. Just not as fast if you're straight out of HS.

One of the hottest moving prospects today other than Jackson Holliday(who is just ridiculous right now) is James Wood, who signed with us out of HS 2 years ago. He's gonna be a monster for The Nats.

Last edited:

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Interesting comment, but it aligns pretty well with what I’ve seen from our recently drafted pitchers when I was checking on Bednar’s progress the other day. Unless something’s changed over last month, a lot of our pitchers drafted over the last 4-5 years have really been struggling in the minors

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Might be something to this. College is great for hitters, because they get at-bats from great pitching. But there's not a lot of development going on period, especially for pitchers. And the pitching does seem to be once a week, and in longer stints. It's a lot like travel ball - no development at all, and now this has reached all the way down into the youngest of the young.

The system really is broken, in so many ways. And this doesn't matter as far as getting the best talent to the pros - that will eventually happen, they'll find you. What it does is prevent a lot of kids from being fans of baseball at a young age. Whereas football is a lot more 'open' for you, since there's a lack of kids playing it (mainly out of fear). Then you have soccer peeling off a few too. And basketball will always be semi-popular because it's fun to watch and not dependent on the weather if you want to go. A lot of kids have basketball goals too.
Be nice to hire a former (and well respected) MLB pitching coach who wants to cut his work and travel back a little and build a "pitching lab" around him. I realize many programs already have a pitching lab (including us), but this could be aimed at rehabbing and developing professional pitchers as well as our own.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
Interesting comment, but it aligns pretty well with what I’ve seen from our recently drafted pitchers when I was checking on Bednar’s progress the other day. Unless something’s changed over last month, a lot of our pitchers drafted over the last 4-5 years have really been struggling in the minors
Will has been back and forth on the IL. Lower back issues.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

I once read that due to aluminum being lighter thus easier to get around on inside pitches, college pitchers don't get enough experience utilizing the inside part of the plate but I'm not knowledgeable enough to confirm this

Double Dawg

Mar 3, 2008
Didn’t Cohen have a presentation that he used to show prospects the difference between going to college first vs straight to the pros?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login