Manny Diaz and Miami.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
I know many on this board may have ill feelings toward Manny, and I’m sure Temple fans probably hate him. But… it is amateur hour over at Miami.

There are reports coming out that Miami is actively trying to hire Cristobal while Manny is still the head coach and currently doing in home visits with recruits. Apparently if Cristobal says no, they will retain Diaz. Not to mention, they are also in the middle of searching for a new AD.

I know he bounced on us twice and royally screwed over Temple but I can’t help feel bad for Manny. Also, I know how many like to post about the ineptitude of our administration but what’s going on at Miami is something else.

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
I still like Manny because of all the abuse he took from Dan on the sidelines and all he did was smile. He should have decked Dan.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I know Cristobal is a Miami guy but I’m having a hard time figuring out why he wants to jump in that mess. It’s one thing if he’s the head coach at some small program but Oregon can compete for titles and they are a reasonable program, meaning he won’t likely get fired for an 8 win season.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I tried to do that a prom one time. Also did not work out well.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I know he bounced on us twice and royally screwed over Temple but I can’t help feel bad for Manny.

It may be a cluster, but I wouldn't waste much time feeling bad for any college football coach with the salaries they make now.

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Reports came out last night that Phil Knight and Oregon pulled the 10 year, $85 million deal that they had offered Cristobal when he didn’t sign it before the PAC-12 title game. That’s actually kind of bad ***.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
Here's the real takeaway from this...

If we can't flip Khamouri Rogers, someone needs to lose their job.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Reports came out last night that Phil Knight and Oregon pulled the 10 year, $85 million deal that they had offered Cristobal when he didn’t sign it before the PAC-12 title game. That’s actually kind of bad ***.

Yes it is. Love it.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Diaz out.

Apparently UM is swimming in cash now thanks to COVID. They’re throwing around some muscle financially for the first time in a long time.

I agree though. It’s been a bad showing for the university. Seems like they got all of this moving like 6 months too late.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
Auburn did the same thing to Tuberville, pursuing Petrino while Tubs was still their coach. But when the news broke, Petrino backed out. Ultimately the President resigned, the AD resigned the next year, and Tuberville upset Alabama and got a big raise.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
We did the same thing when we hired Howland. It didn’t play out publicly like this, but Stricklin announced Ray was coming back for another year, then fired him 3 days later when Howland’s folks and ours came to terms.

Miami looks kind of silly by letting everything get out before it’s the right time, but they aren’t doing anything that dozens of other programs in football and MBB haven’t done before them. They just have a problem keeping things on the DL. Realistically, Diaz probably knew he was on thin ice either way, and so did Ray. Didn’t matter what the public knew or didn’t know.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I don't feel bad for him at all much like most all these millionaire coaches with golden parachutes. It's called Karma. Manny jumped around like a jackrabbit from job to job. He accepted the HC job at Temple and a few days later accepted the Miami job. He has shown NO loyalty to anyone and deserves none from any school, especially the one where he has done a mediocre job. If he doesn't like Miami negotiating with another coach, then he could resign, but then he wouldn't get his golden parachute. I wish Manny nothing. He fell into the Miami job when he was only an FIU caliber coach.

Other than that I think he is a swell guy.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login