Matt Moscona LSU NIL

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
I follow Matt for the Saints. Was listening to him this morning and he spoke about the NIL situation for LSU. Apparently they are struggling apart from a few big names. Florida State out bided them for a few players. Future seems to not look bright. Seems like they got a lot of money upfront and the well is running dry. This is why I think the current model needs change, you cannot keep getting people to put up money each year. He even spoke about a ticket fee, where a percentage of tickets sales feeds NIL. We are not alone in our NIL struggles.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Nil was never meant for that. That tv and media money does need to go to players though partially. Nil needs structure. Right now it's an empty money pit

Reactions: josebrown

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
It is not sustainable as is. Not when you also have to raise the money to fund the scholarships, coaches salaries, etc for ALL sports.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You guys are all correct. That's why it's best to just wait and see how this all shakes out. We need to put more time into putting money together right now rather than spending it. I know we have to spend some right now, but I don't think we should go all in at the beginning of this NIL. I have a funny feeling some authority will step in and straighten this mess out. I have absolutely no idea who will or can do this. If the schools don't put some basic rules in place to keep everyone in somewhat of a line, the system is liable to implode itself. It's probably going to be the schools themselves creating some authority because the NCAA is toothless.

Reactions: FormerBully

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
You guys are all correct. That's why it's best to just wait and see how this all shakes out. We need to put more time into putting money together right now rather than spending it. I know we have to spend some right now, but I don't think we should go all in at the beginning of this NIL. I have a funny feeling some authority will step in and straighten this mess out. I have absolutely no idea who will or can do this. If the schools don't put some basic rules in place to keep everyone in somewhat of a line, the system is liable to implode itself. It's probably going to be the schools themselves creating some authority because the NCAA is toothless.
Leach had it right when he talked about NIL. The current system is unsustainable. The players are in limbo between professional and amateur status when they should be professional. There has to be salary caps but that will just force teams like Alabama to go back to undercover operations to hire talent. It will be interesting to see how all this shakes out but fans of the low NIL teams will eternally be on the outside looking in. It would really be interesting to see the total money spent legally and illegally for a program like Alabama. It has to be around $45 million a year on players alone.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I follow Matt for the Saints. Was listening to him this morning and he spoke about the NIL situation for LSU. Apparently they are struggling apart from a few big names. Florida State out bided them for a few players. Future seems to not look bright. Seems like they got a lot of money upfront and the well is running dry. This is why I think the current model needs change, you cannot keep getting people to put up money each year. He even spoke about a ticket fee, where a percentage of tickets sales feeds NIL. We are not alone in our NIL struggles.
This is the main reason why Saban is considering retiring. He doesn't want to deal with it either. And they have plenty of money to buy who they want.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login