Mavericks, Pistons, Grizzlies, Pelicans, and Thunder likely dropped by Bally Sports.

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
I'm happy that we have Bally back on cable, and I hope to keep seeing the Predators and Braves on their network.

This sucks for fans of those teams for sure, and it's notable that they're all NBA properties they're cutting. I'm afraid that you're seeing the beginning of 'the cull' that's coming across many professional and college sports properties.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I'm happy that we have Bally back on cable, and I hope to keep seeing the Predators and Braves on their network.

This sucks for fans of those teams for sure, and it's notable that they're all NBA properties they're cutting. I'm afraid that you're seeing the beginning of 'the cull' that's coming across many professional and college sports properties.
It’s only a matter of time before Bally goes under. Theyre shedding teams to save money but I don’t think it’s going to be enough.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Every time I want to watch the Grizzlies, they are blacked out in the Memphis Metro area anyway.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Pelicans going all over the air, including in Coast, Hattiesburg and Jackson markets

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It’s only a matter of time before Bally goes under. Theyre shedding teams to save money but I don’t think it’s going to be enough.
Hate to see it**

Really hope so. They suck. They also need to do away with this blackout garbage because of them. I pay for mlb tv but it blows my mind the astros and rangers are always blacked out because of where I live and I use YouTube tv not direct or cable. I pay a premium for that nothing should be blacked out

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Hate to see it**

Really hope so. They suck. They also need to do away with this blackout garbage because of them. I pay for mlb tv but it blows my mind the astros and rangers are always blacked out because of where I live and I use YouTube tv not direct or cable. I pay a premium for that nothing should be blacked out
Yep the blackout rules are dumb. It’s not 1994 cable tv any more.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Yeah, this sounds like one giant spiral towards eventual death. Cutting teams whose contracts aren’t profitable, and even the teams that they’re keeping are being asked to take 30% pay cuts. All while TV deals are expanding and hitting record highs virtually everywhere else

The one note that I found interesting is that the Grizzlies will now be free to pursue their own local TV deal, and I don’t think they’ll have any shortage of options.

AtomicDog

Sep 16, 2023

Can’t speak for everyone but as a Pelicans fan that’s lived in and around New Orleans for the past decade, this is generally well received. I moved over to YouTube TV years ago and have never been able to watch the Pels.

I think viewership numbers will jump significantly moving over to the local station that everyone in the area gets.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Can’t speak for everyone but as a Pelicans fan that’s lived in and around New Orleans for the past decade, this is generally well received. I moved over to YouTube TV years ago and have never been able to watch the Pels.

I think viewership numbers will jump significantly moving over to the local station that everyone in the area gets.

Yeah, this sounds like one giant spiral towards eventual death. Cutting teams whose contracts aren’t profitable, and even the teams that they’re keeping are being asked to take 30% pay cuts. All while TV deals are expanding and hitting record highs virtually everywhere else

The one note that I found interesting is that the Grizzlies will now be free to pursue their own local TV deal, and I don’t think they’ll have any shortage of options.
My only concern is these over the air TV channels seem to be in most cases the alternate channels offered by the main network channel so if you have satellite and I guess, maybe even some cable don’t carry the alternate channels that may be a bit of an issue

I remember from a year or two ago Chris Vernon talking about that the grizzlies were fully prepared to go to a streaming service if diamond sports went bankrupt and fell apart, so I’m pretty sure they have some kind of plan in place to go to that if they are dropped

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login