Maybe Joe Judge would be worth looking at for next year

Other Kind

Oct 15, 2022
I wish Arnett well and think he is in a good position to get a solid DC job and he should be grateful to Mississippi State for that. But we have to move on. Our best case is 5-7 this year and he is in over his head much more than Moorhead. We are in for a total rebuild. Who would even give us a look other than Judge? Maybe it’s what we need.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I wish Arnett well and think he is in a good position to get a solid DC job and he should be grateful to Mississippi State for that. But we have to move on. Our best case is 5-7 this year and he is in over his head much more than Moorhead. We are in for a total rebuild. Who would even give us a look other than Judge? Maybe it’s what we need.
Welcome to the board, Joe.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Why in hell does jo judge keep showing up.

haven't we done that enough though with experiments with guys without real experience for the sec.

I'm not a bounds fan but he was right this morning, the sec is not a place to learn on the job.

Go get a guy with championship experience a coordinator or Has coached in the sec before as a successful coordinator or head coach.

guys that I would look at.

Monken, Malzahn, Mullen, Patrino.

All those guys have been successful head coaches and while Monken wasn't an sec head coach he was successful at usm and is a great offensive mind.

I'm sure there are guys I'm forgetting.
yes I know Coach O fits that category but he caught lightning in a bottle at lsu for one season.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Gus has not been setting the world on fire at UCF. They were 9-4 and 9-5 the last two years in the ACC, let's see what how the finishes the season this year in the Big 12.
I did see they bombed against Baylor and let them come back.
He has been work Ming JRP though. Maybe he could do a lot better with a higher caliber qb. Patrino has turned that TAMU offense around. They look much better they have leaped in offensive stats from last year to this year.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
No to re-treads and Monken does not want to be a HC and/or in the college game.

We need a young, up and coming offensive minded coach who has something to prove.
Like that's worked so well for us. Look at the pattern. Experienced coaches like Mullen, Jackie, and leach have done well for us. Yes Mullen was a young OC but had a ton of experience with Meyer and coached two national titles as a coordinator. Only person that fits that is Monken. Maybe Monken hasn't been offered the right job.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Like that's worked so well for us. Look at the pattern. Experienced coaches like Mullen, Jackie, and leach have done well for us. Yes Mullen was a young OC but had a ton of experience with Meyer and coached two national titles as a coordinator. Only person that fits that is Monken. Maybe Monken hasn't been offered the right job.
Jackie was 30+ years ago, apples vs oranges in todays world.

Another Dan Mullen type is EXACTLY what I am talking about.

I liked Leach but working out well for us might be a stretch....

Monken does not like the off the field stuff that comes with being a HC, and is less enamored with the portal/NIL, hence his return to the NFL.

Other Kind

Oct 15, 2022

haven't we done that enough though with experiments with guys without real experience for the sec.

I'm not a bounds fan but he was right this morning, the sec is not a place to learn on the job.

Go get a guy with championship experience a coordinator or Has coached in the sec before as a successful coordinator or head coach.

All those guys have been successful head coaches and while Monken wasn't an sec head coach he was successful at usm and is a great offensive mind.

yes I know Coach O fits that category but he caught lightning in a bottle at lsu for one season.
None of those guys would come here

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Jackie was 30+ years ago, apples vs oranges in todays world.

Another Dan Mullen type is EXACTLY what I am talking about.

I liked Leach but working out well for us might be a stretch....

Monken does not like the off the field stuff that comes with being a HC, and is less enamored with the portal/NIL, hence his return to the NFL.
Okay well who is out there that is Mullen? Been with a staff for a long time that is championship caliber snd known for good offenses? I think he's coaching at ole miss now. We missed our chance at him. Georgia OCs thats Monken. Alabama Locksley at Maryland. He's just okay there. LSU well that was one time lightning in a bottle. Clemson those coordinators are gone. Riley is too young. Ohio Stare coordinators have been all over the place and without Meyer there they don't have that sec experience there anymore. So not a lot out there that fits that mold. A young offensive mind without championship experience or hesd coaching experience or sec experience is exactly what Moorhead was. I would rather take something more known than unknown. Experiments have bitten us in the *** lately. Mullen really wasn't much of an experiment with his national championship experience and long time experience in same program

Reactions: StateCollege

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Okay well who is out there that is Mullen? Been with a staff for a long time that is championship caliber snd known for good offenses? I think he's coaching at ole miss now. We missed our chance at him. Georgia OCs thats Monken. Alabama Locksley at Maryland. He's just okay there. LSU well that was one time lightning in a bottle. Clemson those coordinators are gone. Riley is too young. Ohio Stare coordinators have been all over the place and without Meyer there they don't have that sec experience there anymore. So not a lot out there that fits that mold. A young offensive mind without championship experience or hesd coaching experience or sec experience is exactly what Moorhead was. I would rather take something more known than unknown. Experiments have bitten us in the *** lately. Mullen really wasn't much of an experiment with his national championship experience and long time experience in same program
Mullen wasnt an experiment? He had never been a HC and folks around the program said "Its Urban's offense, not his" and "he just rode Tebow to a HC job". Yes, it was a gamble. But I contend that every hire Mississippi State will make will be a gamble.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
"Maybe Joe Judge would be worth looking at for next year"

Hell GIF by Steve Harvey TV

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Mullen wasnt an experiment? He had never been a HC and folks around the program said "Its Urban's offense, not his" and "he just rode Tebow to a HC job". Yes, it was a gamble. But I contend that every hire Mississippi State will make will be a gamble.
No, he really wasn't a gamble. If you can hang on and get promoted with an elite coach for 8 years across 3 programs and winning 2 titles, then you're pretty good. If there was anything we knew, it was that Mullen knew what a national title winning program looked like. People said the same thing about Smart, and look how he's turned out. So what you're looking for is a young coordinator who has time under an established winner.

So you might say, "well that's Arnett!", and you would ALMOST be correct. He's got about 5 years worth of experience under good coaches, and I honestly do think he's got what it takes to be a head coach. He just jumped the gun on a few things. He should be calling the defense still, and totally delegating the offense, then slowly transition once the next DC is ready. But either way he needed about 3-5 more years of seasoning, some need less, some need more. Oh well.

So who are some other guys that fit this mold? Well it looks like Dan Lanning is working out well, and he only had 3 years of DC experience. Mel Tucker was OK until he started spankin' it on the phone. I don't know who they are, but I'd be looking at Michigan/Ohio State's coordinators.

Bottom line is, do this, you'll get a solid coach, when in doubt. I personally think we need to go after a proven commodity this time around, we can't continue to suck. That's why I want Mullen or Malzahn.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
No, he really wasn't a gamble. If you can hang on and get promoted with an elite coach for 8 years across 3 programs and winning 2 titles, then you're pretty good. If there was anything we knew, it was that Mullen knew what a national title winning program looked like. People said the same thing about Smart, and look how he's turned out. So what you're looking for is a young coordinator who has time under an established winner.

So you might say, "well that's Arnett!", and you would ALMOST be correct. He's got about 5 years worth of experience under good coaches, and I honestly do think he's got what it takes to be a head coach. He just jumped the gun on a few things. He should be calling the defense still, and totally delegating the offense, then slowly transition once the next DC is ready. But either way he needed about 3-5 more years of seasoning, some need less, some need more. Oh well.

So who are some other guys that fit this mold? Well it looks like Dan Lanning is working out well, and he only had 3 years of DC experience. Mel Tucker was OK until he started spankin' it on the phone. I don't know who they are, but I'd be looking at Michigan/Ohio State's coordinators.

Bottom line is, do this, you'll get a solid coach, when in doubt. I personally think we need to go after a proven commodity this time around, we can't continue to suck. That's why I want Mullen or Malzahn
Will Muschamp, coached under Saban at LSU, Mac Brown at Texas, Tuberville at Auburn but was a total flop as a HC at Florida and South Carolina when he got his chance......

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Will Muschamp, coached under Saban at LSU, Mac Brown at Texas, Tuberville at Auburn but was a total flop as a HC at Florida and South Carolina when he got his chance......
I would argue, and this is just the Devil's opinion, that you are speaking to the truth, sir. Nobody knows how these guys will work out. Anyone that tells you this person or that person is a sure-fire winning head coach is usually letting hope override judgement or they lack football knowledge to begin with. All the analytics in the world and social media gurus can not really tell you anything other than their opinion.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There are always exceptions. I bet I can find a lot more of those success stories than the other way around.

And there's always ego, and Muschamp had one. Matter of fact, he does a lot of the same things Arnett does. And you forget that Muschamp did actually have early success at Florida and South Carolina, but just wouldn't get out of the way.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Mullen was a first time head coach when we hired him.

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
JEFF Monken

Unless we have and spend the same money as the rest of the SEC on coaches, players ect, then the only logical choice is to commit to a system. This is the only other way to neutralize the talent gap. Get this guy from Army and play good defense.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007

Yes, hell no, hell, hell no and hell, hell, hell no.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Jeremy Pruitt is probably available and most people would find his ignorance of asparagus inspiring. I think his show cause will be up soon.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I want a guy with multiple years as head coach (hopefully successful years) running a program. I don't care if it was at Bum17 High.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I want a guy with multiple years as head coach (hopefully successful years) running a program. I don't care if it was at Bum17 High.
It will have to be at Bum17 high, b/c schools cycle through coaches too quickly now for successful G5 coaches to make it for long. Billy Napier had a long track record of 4 years at ULL. And he was able to parlay that into a big contract at a school that can win a championship in football.

Seems like most G5 coaches that have success get interst after just two years.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
There’s a big coaching carousel coming this season. Arkansas, Florida, and Bama (yes, Saban will retire) likely all open. Too many talking heads are starting to throw Dan Lanning’s name around as the Bama heir. Kiffin likely throws his name in for Oregon and Florida and if he finishes 9-3 and has a competitive game agains UGA, he likely gets one of them.

At the end of the day, we’re going to be fighting Ole Miss and Arkansas for a good coach. We have to make the first move if we are going to do it. Don’t need a repeat of the Moorhead fire and Leach hire. Need the new coach announced on Sunday, November 26th.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Mullen was a first time head coach when we hired him.
Yes but he had loads of experience within the same system of a successful head coach. He had been a coordinator on two natuonwl championship teams and had coached a heisman qb and and at the time had one of the most dynamic offenses. There aren't many coordinator candidates out there like that. Monken is one that comes to mind. Of the championship contender ocs all of the good ones of long time successful programs have found their head job. Sark and Kiffin got their jobs. If you go the Mullen route it's got to be Monken. If not, most of these coordinators do not have the longetivity experience in the sand program at a high level. Mullen was one of those rare finds. Kiffin and Sark were others but they had more head coach experience before.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login