MBB 2022/2023

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
These are WAGs.

- Tolu will be back. He already transferred, is from MS, and has had individual success at MSU. He could transfer and not sit still, but I would think that wont happen.
- Molinar will be back or turn pro. He lost his jumpshot and could improve on his A/TO ratio, so I hope he returns. It would be shocking if he transferred at this point.
- Moore used his immediate eligible transfer. He had the greenlight to shoot as much as he wanted and ran the point in relief of Molinar. Seems like he would be slotted to start next season too, so I dont think he will leave.

- Garcia got a bunch of minutes and had some success. I hope he stays since he carved out a role and could be an impact player next season. He has an immediately eligible transfer to use. He doesnt have ties to MSU so call it 50-50 on what he does.
- Matthews has not improved statistically and unless he his some huge uncommon leap in the offseason, he will be a limited player next season too. He hustles and that is a skill. He has an immediately eligible transfer to use. He is from MS so that could help with him staying. 60-40 he stays vs leaves.
- Watts played in only 2/3 of the games and was largely ineffective when he played. Really hoping that was due to injury and not because he doesnt have the ability to play. He was much better at Michigan State, so really hope its temporary. He already used his immediately eligible transfer, but he doesnt have ties to MSU. 70-30 he stays vs leaves.
- Davis is a backup and barring some late career development he will stay that way next season. He already used his immediately eligible transfer and is from MS so those help the odds of him staying. The good think is that we are so barren in the post next season that he may want to stay because minutes will be available.
- Jeffries already transferred so he would have to sit out a season if he leaves. He is already 3 seasons into his career too. Based on this season, I hope we use him a lot less next year. If he thinks he can improve on his glaring weaknesses, maybe that helps keep him here? 60-40 he stays vs leaves.

- Fountain barely played this season and was statistically a total non-factor. He regressed in every statistical category for some reason and the field is sorta crowded for his skillset. He is from MS though, so maybe that helps him stay? If he thinks he can play in the post, then that could help convince him to stay since we are thin in the post. I am guessing 40-60 he stays vs leaves.
- Carter is talented, clearly plays faster than what Howland liked, and has no ties to MS. He was a freshman and the season didnt go great. He has the least to lose if he wants to leave. Maybe he bases his decision on what Molinar does? I guess a good thing for him staying is that we dont have an incoming PG so if Carter progresses he very well may start next season in the combo guard position. 40-60 he stays vs leaves.

Applewhite and Murphy- who knows. Both barely played(or didnt at all). Total guess what this type of player does- they have little invested in staying up to this point and are immediately eligible if they choose to transfer. I guess the one thing we have going is that they played so little there is very little demand in the transfer market. Murphy was injured all season and had surgery on his hand in February so he still isnt even playing in any way due to recovery. 50-50, I guess?

As for our 3 signees, if we can keep 2 of em, that would be neat. Pretty rare to keep all recruits in a coaching change.

It is worth pointing out that between everyone currently set to return plus the 3 recruits, we are 2 over the scholarship limit. So there has to be some attrition.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
The 247 article on Jans already said Watts and Davis aren't expected back.

I can see Fountain leaving. It had to be frustrating for him last year to see his minutes cut back so much. If I'm him, not sure I want to stick around after that even with a new coach.

Molinar - my guess is he's more than 50/50 to go pro, and these days that usually means they are gone

Jeffries - would not surprise me if he went pro

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
This was the 247 article I read about Jans and it was just a recap of a bunch of tweets on the topic.
https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...-from-New-Mexico-State-184862158/#184862158_3

But I see this shows Watts and Davis are leaving. Watts leaving sucks- between injury and having to sit a season, thats a wasted couple years. Too bad. It would have been great if he could have pushed the tempo and contributed in the back court.
https://247sports.com/college/missi...etball-Chris-Jans-New-Mexico-State-184820690/

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
T

It is worth pointing out that between everyone currently set to return plus the 3 recruits, we are 2 over the scholarship limit. So there has to be some attrition.

Attrition is attrition and it will always happen in the current portal system. The key is what you replace the vacancies with. Talking heads seem to think Jans is well versed in portal recruiting so I don't really care who transfers if they are replaced with better talent. Replacing good players with projects is where you get into trouble.

bomanishus

Mar 17, 2009
Watts played in only 2/3 of the games and was largely ineffective when he played. Really hoping that was due to injury and not because he doesnt have the ability to play. He was much better at Michigan State, so really hope its temporary. He already used his immediately eligible transfer, but he doesnt have ties to MSU. 70-30 he stays vs leaves.

.. except that his dad played at State.

I hear he is gone, unfortunately.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

.. except that his dad played at State.

I hear he is gone, unfortunately.

Come again? I can confidently say I have never heard this. By 'State', do you mean Mississippi State? Mark Watts Sr played at Mississippi State? I dont know a ton before the late 90s for MSU basketball so this is news to me.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
You’re thinking of Hamilton, who’s in this signing class. His dad is Tang.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
What I am expecting (if I hadn't learned it's just unpredictable without inside knowledge):

Likely gone:
- Tolu - RS Junior that is a really good rebounder but limited on offense, I'm guessing he starts his career overseas.
- Molinar - Overseas.
- Jeffries - makes no sense to transfer and sit out. Three seasons into his career. Oversees. I think staying with a new and hopefully better coach could be a big help to him, but guessing he won't be willing to do that.
- Watts - as mentiond, gone, but I would have expected him to want to give it another shot rather than sit out a year.
- Davis - as mentioned, gone.

After that, you'd think Moore would stick around rather than sitting out a year, but everybody else has a free transfer available I think. Just going to be a recruiting job for Jans to figure out who he really thinks will fit his system (and who he needs just because he can't replace the whole team in the transfer portal) and convincing them to stay.

D4L

Aug 2, 2021
Jefferies is not a damn pro. Im sure someone oversees takes a flyer on him, but he better get his degree and look at joining the rest of us...

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
He could be a pro if he'd improve his outside shot and hit the weight room. Javian Davis is not a loss at all. That's actually a gain for us.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
He could be a pro if he'd improve his outside shot and hit the weight room. Javian Davis is not a loss at all. That's actually a gain for us.
Who replaces him in the post? I am not saying it cant be done, but we dont have any known replacement that is better than him.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
At some point you just have to figure that anyone is better than Davis. I can't believe anyone is advocating for him to stay on the team even over an unknown portal or freshman player.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
At some point you just have to figure that anyone is better than Davis. I can't believe anyone is advocating for him to stay on the team even over an unknown portal or freshman player.

Who is advocating for Davis to stay? I havent read anything like that.

If you think I am advocating for him to stay, I am not. I was simply pointing out that I dont think we have a known replacement that is better than him at what he was asked to do last season. Matthews is undersized and more limited than Davis on offense, Fountain is...who knows what that story was, and KeyShawn Murphy never played due to injury.

I agree with you, I would think we could get someone from the portal that would be at least equal to Davis.
...but that wouldnt be a known replacement and I was referencing known replacements.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Well crap. Was hoping Jans coulda held on to him. Don’t have shooters as it is now.

I imagine with the defections and starting to build a whole new program it's gonna take Jans a season or two to start really getting solid commits. I understand why they didn't commit but they actually should look at what we have coming in as a coach... then again we're dealing with 18--year-olds.

Aug 28, 2018
Give me Matthews over Davis any day on offense. Matthews can make a contested shot in the paint and has the ability to hit the occasional 3. JD shoots at a rimless backboard it seems.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
I'd rather have Matthews or Fountain in the lineup 1000X over than Davis. Matthews is an elite defensive player and an elite athlete. He actually dunks it when he gets it down low. Davis fumbles it or at best gets fouled and then misses every FT. He's just not an SEC player. KeyShawn Murphy is an ESPN top 100 player. I like my odds he's better. Fountain is almost 6'10 and runs like a deer. If he'd just play with more confidence and stop having a look on his face like he's a 6th grader scared to death cause he's forced into a game with adults he'd actually be a damn good player.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login