MBB Hot Board Update

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Seems that Chris Jans is heating up in regard to being the one of the top candidates. Just figured I’d pass that along. Would be a great hire with a guy that’s hungry to prove himself at the P5 level. He has a great recruiter and assistant in David Anwar, who’s recruited the south before I’ll add and knows the territory. If McMahon goes somewhere else bigger than us then I won’t be upset with hiring a winner like Jans and his staff.

Sep 12, 2013
What kid of offense and defense does he run? I’m salivating at the thought of shooting the 3 and implementing some 17ing zone every now and then.

Sep 15, 2009
Seems that Chris Jans is heating up in regard to being the one of the top candidates. Just figured I’d pass that along. Would be a great hire with a guy that’s hungry to prove himself at the P5 level. He has a great recruiter and assistant in David Anwar, who’s recruited the south before I’ll add and knows the territory. If McMahon goes somewhere else bigger than us then I won’t be upset with hiring a winner like Jans and his staff.
Howland comes out saying that Riley Kugel will be better than Perry, Woodard or the Weatherspoons...is Howland trying to save his job?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Very little passing and lots of ill-advised 3s. You'll recognize it. **

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
He seems like the kind of coach that is willing to slap *** and take names.

All seriousness though, he seems to have some genuine ability and I would love to give it a shot with him leading the team. Doubt it'll be measurably worse.
Iowa native too.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
What are the chances that the new coach can keep both Hamilton and Kugel on board? I like both of them a lot and they will be really solid players at the next level

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
What are the chances that the new coach can keep both Hamilton and Kugel on board? I like both of them a lot and they will be really solid players at the next level

Hamilton is fine, K will need some convincing from the new coach.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I’m wary of hiring a guy who coaches the big dog in a terrible conference. New Mexico State dominates the WAC whoever their coach is. The last two coaches hired from that school, Marvin Menzies and Paul Weir, flamed out and were fired at their next schools (UNLV and New Mexico). It’s not a great track record, so I would be very careful.

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
Howland comes out saying that Riley Kugel will be better than Perry, Woodard or the Weatherspoons...is Howland trying to save his job?

If I’m Cohen, the only way Howland comes back next year is if he completely purges his worthless staff.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
I figured Howland was returning next year when he redshirted Keshawn Murphy.

[tweet]1352803996453502976[/tweet]

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Kugel is flying up the recruiting rankings. He might me a star. I would love a back court of him and Cam Carter

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I’m wary of hiring a guy who coaches the big dog in a terrible conference. New Mexico State dominates the WAC whoever their coach is. The last two coaches hired from that school, Marvin Menzies and Paul Weir, flamed out and were fired at their next schools (UNLV and New Mexico). It’s not a great track record, so I would be very careful.

He was a very successful JUCO head coach too and a long time assistant under Gregg Marshall at Wichita State. In his last two years at Wichita they went to the Final Four and then had an undefeated regular season.

Jans does have some baggage from his stint at Bowling Green so I do wonder if that will scare Cohen away. But from a basketball standpoint he looks like a very good coach.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login