MBB Hot Board Update

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Looking like it’s down to Chris Jans and Matt McMahon, there’s no way to hate either of those hires. Are you worried that Howland’s going to be retained? Don’t worry, it all ends tonight in Charlottesville. Also a little nugget from ESPN:

Reports emerged on Selection Sunday that Mississippi State had fired Ben Howland. Multiple sources told ESPN that the reports weren't correct -- yet. Expectations are still that the Bulldogs will move on from Howland after the season; they play in the NIT this week. If and when it does open, the name buzzing the most for Mississippi State is New Mexico State's Chris Jans.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Considering the openings in play, I’d consider McMahon pretty close to a home run at this point. Are there better coaches out there? Probably, but when you look at the state of our program right now, that would be a really solid hire. Unfortunately, that also leads me to believe that he’s probably wishful thinking, and I’m not saying this to be an ***, but I expect the eventual hire to underwhelm.

As far as retaining Howland, I just can’t get on board with that regardless of who else is available. Fast forward to next year, and there will be 8-10 more programs with openings that we’d be battling, and we’ll still find ourselves in the bottom half from an attractiveness standpoint. It’s just time to move on, and if Howland returns, my interest level in men’s basketball next year will be at an all time low

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
I'm of the opinion, you can't let other schools dictate your coaching decisions. If you need to make a change, then you make a change. There will always be school xyz with openings at the same time you are trying to hire.

Howland knows the gig is up. He's been seeking out jobs back in California. I would expect him to land the Cal Poly job next week.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Howland is publicly playing like he wants to stay. He definitely wants that buyout.

https://247sports.com/college/missi...sippi-State-basketball-Ben-Howland-184496164/

Q: Do you want to be back to coach the Bulldogs next year?

Howland: I really want to be back next year with our team returning and a lot again depends on being healthy. I say it at the beginning of every year that the No. 1 key to each and every team in the country is to stay healthy, especially when you are talking about your starters.

That was a tough break for us this year with Tolu. I am really happy with what he's done here late in the year, played a bunch of games in a row and you see his level of play going up.
I think Iverson will test the (NBA) waters but I think there is a good chance he will be back, as well. If that does happen, I would be disappointed to not have the chance to coach this team that returns.
And this is the best recruiting class we've had in the last three years, getting back to the normal of getting out and seeing guys play. (Signee) Riley Kugel and hopefully you will follow it, is going to be a really good player. I am really excited about Jaykwon Walton and Kimani Hamilton, both kids that we think highly of.
Then we have a verbal commitment whose name I can't mention because he has not signed yet but is a really good player.
That being said, we will worry about that later. Right now, my biggest concern is getting ready for this game that we are going to play tomorrow night in Charlottesville.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Whi would answer that with 'you know, I really don't like the group I have signed and based on what I saw this season I don't really care if I return.'

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
Jans has been the trending name it seems the past 24 hours. But it is worth noting that all of cohens hires, you haven’t really heard the name of the person he is getting until the day before the hire is made. McMahon and Jans have been getting mentioned for weeks at this point

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
I think this hire he’s going to receive help on kind of like Stricklin with the Howland hire.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I'll believe Jans or McMahon when I see it.

And if that happens, a lot of folks here need to ease up on Cohen.

That said, I expect a whiff, Howland says deuces and goes back to California, and we scramble for the next Rick Ray.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
"Multiple Final Four Appearances." *
...............................................................................................

* Iowa High School State Basketball Tournament

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Except with both of our women's basketball hires under him. And if you remember our leading baseball candidates were McDonnell and Schlossnagel. He clearly interviewed McDonnell as he is the one who recommended Lemonis, and I think Schloss had the job until all the rumor crap started circulating. Yeah, Lemonis surprised everyone, but we knew who his first candidates were before things didn't work out. He targeted Penson at the beginning of the women's search, and he targeted her replaces early as well. Leach and Moorhead were surprises, yes. What I'm saying is, the only times we were caught off guard were when we were told no by his first choices, which most of the public knew he was going after.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Howland is publicly playing like he wants to stay. He definitely wants that buyout.

https://247sports.com/college/missi...sippi-State-basketball-Ben-Howland-184496164/

Q: Do you want to be back to coach the Bulldogs next year?

Howland: I really want to be back next year with our team returning and a lot again depends on being healthy. I say it at the beginning of every year that the No. 1 key to each and every team in the country is to stay healthy, especially when you are talking about your starters.

That was a tough break for us this year with Tolu. I am really happy with what he's done here late in the year, played a bunch of games in a row and you see his level of play going up.
I think Iverson will test the (NBA) waters but I think there is a good chance he will be back, as well. If that does happen, I would be disappointed to not have the chance to coach this team that returns.
And this is the best recruiting class we've had in the last three years, getting back to the normal of getting out and seeing guys play. (Signee) Riley Kugel and hopefully you will follow it, is going to be a really good player. I am really excited about Jaykwon Walton and Kimani Hamilton, both kids that we think highly of.
Then we have a verbal commitment whose name I can't mention because he has not signed yet but is a really good player.
That being said, we will worry about that later. Right now, my biggest concern is getting ready for this game that we are going to play tomorrow night in Charlottesville.

This the response that I would expect and it is designed to be abiguously diplomatic. Decoded, it reads:

"There's a good chance I'm leaving, and I don't need material out there that helps to contribute to an embarrassing performance in the NIT."

The part about players and recruits is probably genuine.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
I was surprised by that comment too. Molinar does needs to work on his 3 to be a pro. Probably just making the decision more difficult for Cohen with such bantor.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login