McCarthy Gym

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
McCarthy Gym has been torn down. For those of you that never got to see a basketball game in there, you missed out on one of life’s great sports experiences. Back in the day, that place was something. The stories are endless. The games with Kentucky in there were just nuts. Babe McCarthy vs Adolph Rupp. Wow.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
McCarthy Gym has been torn down. For those of you that never got to see a basketball game in there, you missed out on one of life’s great sports experiences. Back in the day, that place was something. The stories are endless. The games with Kentucky in there were just nuts. Babe McCarthy vs Adolph Rupp. Wow.
Were you a student when Babe was the coach?

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
It’s sacrilege that it was torn down. It was more commonly known as maroon gymnasium, instead of McCarthy Gym, when McCarthy was there. Very few people now remember how many huge games were played in that building.

We won the SEC overall championship four times in a five-year stretch in the late 50s early 60s.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Talking about wild games. it was us against Bama, Feb 1974. A major bad call in Bama's favor caused the place to explode and we all stood yelling most of the game (and not just students). Larry Frye went crazy and was a one man army. But in the end, Bama won 76 - 74. But it was one hell of a show.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
It’s sacrilege that it was torn down.
If old Yankee Stadium can be torn down, so can McCarthy Gym. I know you and many others had good memories there and history was made, but its service has come and gone and there was no way to rehabilitate it to make it serviceable on prime real estate. I think you will see a nice memorial to the building in the future

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Were you a student when Babe was the coach?
No I wasn’t a student but my Dad took me to a lot of games in there when Babe was Coach. My Dad was there the night they put a dead skunk under Kentuckys bench.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Were you one of the ones throwing pennies on the floor?
I don’t think I ever threw anything. I was there one night when a referee got hit in the eye with a piece of ice. He deserved it. That was in the early concept years of referees protecting Alabama.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Talking about wild games. it was us against Bama, Feb 1974. A major bad call in Bama's favor caused the place to explode and we all stood yelling most of the game (and not just students). Larry Frye went crazy and was a one man army. But in the end, Bama won 76 - 74. But it was one hell of a show.
Were you there the night we beat Alabama in 3 overtime’s? Jack Boldin got a rebound turned and threw it one handed 80 something feet. Nothing but net. There used to be an X painted on the floor marking the spot where he turned the ball loose. I don’t remember the year but it would have been mid to late 1960’s. It was still there in the mid 1970’s.

Reactions: lanceharbor7

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Played in there a bit. Not long. Walked on the JV team in 74'. Kermit Sr. ran us to death. I told him I could shoot the ball well. He said "Son, I got plenty of players who can put the ball in the basket. I need players who can keep the other team from putting the ball in the basket". Seems like we ran for 5 hrs. a day. When I saw how much time we were practicing out of one day, I finally quit to work on my grades or my dad would have ended the MSU gig anyway. I was pretty athletic though. Was 6'3" and could stand flat footed underneath the basket and 2-hand dunk straight up. There was some 6'9" white guy who couldn't even dunk with a running start. I played a lot of pick up over the next few years with John Adams, Ray White, Gary Hooker, Al Perry and even played some one on one with Wiley Peck. Those were some great memories. Sad to see McCarthy go down. Was a rocking place when we played BAMA in my freshman year. About 5,500 were packed in and standing room only was overflowing. Fans were literally right on top of the court. Very intimidating place to play in when the crowd was sold out.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Played in there a bit. Not long. Walked on the JV team in 74'. Kermit Sr. ran us to death. I told him I could shoot the ball well. He said "Son, I got plenty of players who can put the ball in the basket. I need players who can keep the other team from putting the ball in the basket". Seems like we ran for 5 hrs. a day. When I saw how much time we were practicing out of one day, I finally quit to work on my grades or my dad would have ended the MSU gig anyway. I was pretty athletic though. Was 6'3" and could stand flat footed underneath the basket and 2-hand dunk straight up. There was some 6'9" white guy who couldn't even dunk with a running start. I played a lot of pick up over the next few years with John Adams, Ray White, Gary Hooker, Al Perry and even played some one on one with Wiley Peck. Those were some great memories. Sad to see McCarthy go down. Was a rocking place when we played BAMA in my freshman year. About 5,500 were packed in and standing room only was overflowing. Fans were literally right on top of the court. Very intimidating place to play in when the crowd was sold out.
Those were some elite players that you played with in the pick up games. Of course Ray White had to go and rob a bank on the Australian trip. Geeez. Up until the early 1960’s cowbells we’re allowed in there. No wonder old people can’t hear….. the Hump has been like being in church compared to the old gym.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Were you there the night we beat Alabama in 3 overtime’s? Jack Boldin got a rebound turned and threw it one handed 80 something feet. Nothing but net. There used to be an X painted on the floor marking the spot where he turned the ball loose. I don’t remember the year but it would have been mid to late 1960’s. It was still there in the mid 1970’s.
I guess that was before my time. I was there from 71 - 75 and 77-78, but I remember one of my brothers talking about it and he was there from the mid 60's.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
What they are building there now will add to the beauty of the campus and importantly add modern, conformable class rooms and labs for the majors housed there. The new building is much needed.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Those were some elite players that you played with in the pick up games. Of course Ray White had to go and rob a bank on the Australian trip. Geeez. Up until the early 1960’s cowbells we’re allowed in there. No wonder old people can’t hear….. the Hump has been like being in church compared to the old gym.
Yeah, Hooker had amazing length with his arms. He could defend passing lanes easily. Almost couldn't get a pass by him. Ray White was high in several games. He was a regular "Mary-Jane" client. The most fun was playing one on one with Peck. I held my own surprisingly. Wiley was not a good outside shooter. I was. So I hurt him with making shots that were pretty far out. Didn't have a 3 pt. line in those days, but I think several of my made buckets were probably outside of that line had it been there. He beat me mostly by backing me down close to the basket and scoring with close-in baskets. Giving up 3-4" on him was tough, but I did better than I thought I would. Felt like I gained some respect from him with my play and we became casual temporary friends when we played. Often wonder what happened to him. He got a first round NBA pick I think, but I didn't follow him much. Not even sure if he's alive today.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Yeah, Hooker had amazing length with his arms. He could defend passing lanes easily. Almost couldn't get a pass by him. Ray White was high in several games. He was a regular "Mary-Jane" client. The most fun was playing one on one with Peck. I held my own surprisingly. Wiley was not a good outside shooter. I was. So I hurt him with making shots that were pretty far out. Didn't have a 3 pt. line in those days, but I think several of my made buckets were probably outside of that line had it been there. He beat me mostly by backing me down close to the basket and scoring with close-in baskets. Giving up 3-4" on him was tough, but I did better than I thought I would. Felt like I gained some respect from him with my play and we became casual temporary friends when we played. Often wonder what happened to him. He got a first round NBA pick I think, but I didn't follow him much. Not even sure if he's alive today.
The Chairman of the Boards?

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
What they are building there now will add to the beauty of the campus and importantly add modern, conformable class rooms and labs for the majors housed there. The new building is much needed.
We are not against campus progress. Just taking a little trip down memory lane to remember some good times. When I was a little kid I went to a lot of games in there with my Dad. He is gone now. It was a special place to me and lots of others.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Sad. I used to play pickup games in that gym. Played against Kent Hull during summer school. Still have the bruises for crashing the boards against him

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Played one of my best intramural volleyball games ever in that building . . .

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
I shot baskets with "Super D' Darryl Wilson in that gym.
My roommate and I played 2 vs 1 goofing around with Cameron Burns in there one day. I beat him of the dribble once and he let me have the layup ( I was actually really quick back then). A little later I beat him again. The 2nd time he followed me to the basket and pinned my layup against the back board. The pulled it away and slammed it back off the board just to make sure I knew he could. It was humbling and awesome.

Oct 2, 2022
I got to play intramural bb there when I was in school and refine my dribble drive which made me realize I had better stick to engineering.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
It’s sacrilege that it was torn down. It was more commonly known as maroon gymnasium, instead of McCarthy Gym, when McCarthy was there. Very few people now remember how many huge games were played in that building.

We won the SEC overall championship four times in a five-year stretch in the late 50s early 60s.
My Dad was going to STATE back then and I remember stories from him about Babe.

Reactions: 60sdog

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Unfortunately, to my knowledge, I never entered McCarthy.

im sure there’s pictures but if anyone has any old pics, do share.

Was it used as a cafeteria during the years of 2002-2006? If so, I may have hit it once

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022

Man. Another iconic building gone.

I went through accounting with Babe McCarthy’s grand niece in 06-07.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login