McGowan can’t let 2 score on the sac fly in the 9th.

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
Have some awareness and don’t take a Lebron James Sunday stroll before you get the ball back in to the cutoff man.

/pitching got us to that point, but a defensive substitution has to be better than that.

Feb 23, 2008
Had no business out there and never does. You don’t take Clark out of the

Lineup with the way he’s finally started hitting. It’s not like the defensive gap between the two is that huge. Just one of the many cluster 17s of the day.

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
Have some awareness and don’t take a Lebron James Sunday stroll before you get the ball back in to the cutoff man.

/pitching got us to that point, but a defensive substitution has to be better than that.

We let two runs score on a sacrifice fly? That’s how they tied it up in the 9th?

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
That was inexcusable.

How in the hell do you allow a run to score from 2nd on a sac flY???

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
I wanted us to ask for a review to see if the guy on second left too soon.

patdog

May 28, 2007
That shouldn’t even be possible. I’d be tempted to pull whoever was at fault mid-inning.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
It was a combination of things.

1. He almost didn’t even catch the ball, had to get it on the run going backwards,
2. He did take his time getting it in and didn’t seem to have the proper sense of urgency or situational awareness.
3. The relay throw home was a little weak, Tanner had to come up to get it and try to reach back and tag the runner. A stronger throw nails that guy.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Here is the video of the play.

https://twitter.com/11point7/status/1500247301629095941?s=21

On second glance it’s not QUITE as bad by us as it originally seemed. McGowan was on the warning track and off balance when he caught it. The throw home was not very strong but Yeager was pretty deep in the grass when he threw it. They had just put a pinch runner on second and that guy obviously had some speed. Just kind of a perfect storm of things.

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
The lack of urgency after the catch stands out the most. It was a deep fly, he was fighting a tough sun, and it crossed him up at the end. I’ll give him all that.

But have some awareness and urgency.

Like Kam James not sliding into 2nd last night (thankfully didn’t hurt us). Or Siebert (i think it was today?) not sliding at all into 2nd on a double play ball, thus getting the interference call on a wild throw to 1st. These guys have played enough baseball that they should know what they’re doing.

MSUDawg25

Jan 21, 2010
I thought the Kam James slide looked like a guy who wasn’t used to sliding on turf. Not sure what the hell Siebert was thinking not sliding into second in that situation.

I didn’t get a good replay on the tag from second today. But watching live I couldn’t figure out how in the world they got two runs on that play. I thought maybe he dropped it and I just missed it. I’ll have to go back and watch the replay.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
After watching that, I don’t really see a lack of urgency. He was off balance and set himself and threw it.

Big balls and lots of speed.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
After watching that, I don’t really see a lack of urgency. He was off balance and set himself and threw it.

Big balls and lots of speed.

people get mad their team lost and lie.

Truth: the ball was hit into the gap. He had a long run to get there. His momentum was carrying him away from the plate. He did a good job to make the catch. He got the ball in a quick as he could after being on a sprint to the track.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I mean he probably could have threw it quicker but the throw would have been pretty off balance.

Clearly the guy on second either left early OR has some wheels OR both. Either way the runner made a great play.

Pretty sure I’ve seen Billy Hamilton tag up from second in the big leagues.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
The 3rd base coach got away with a really foolhardy decision.....

It was a combination of things.

1. He almost didn’t even catch the ball, had to get it on the run going backwards,
2. He did take his time getting it in and didn’t seem to have the proper sense of urgency or situational awareness.
3. The relay throw home was a little weak, Tanner had to come up to get it and try to reach back and tag the runner. A stronger throw nails that guy.

I was absolutely beside myself when it happened but after looking at the replay, yes we could have moved a little faster to get the ball there, but Tulane absolutely got away with a VERY risky move in sending that guy. The ball actually beat the runner to the plate by 10 feet and had it been a halfway decent throw he would have been out by a mile and we would have been talking about what a stupid move it was to send him.

rem101

Jan 22, 2008
I was there, sitting on the second row between third and home. Tulane fans told me he was the fastest guy on the team. Shouldn't matter, the throw was there in time, but up the line and short-hopped tanner on the turf. Couldn't handle it cleanly. Just a **** show all around besides Friday, which I guess was also with Sims.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Here is the video of the play.

https://twitter.com/11point7/status/1500247301629095941?s=21

On second glance it’s not QUITE as bad by us as it originally seemed. McGowan was on the warning track and off balance when he caught it. The throw home was not very strong but Yeager was pretty deep in the grass when he threw it. They had just put a pinch runner on second and that guy obviously had some speed. Just kind of a perfect storm of things.

To me, it looks like McGowan overran that fly ball and had to reach back for it. He should have been slowing down more as he got ready to make the catch. If he had, then he could have stopped and made the throw much quicker than he did.

After McGowan caught the ball, he took way too many steps to get situated to make the throw. As an outfielder in that situation, he HAS to know that the runner on 2nd base might try to score. And thus, he has to stop and get the ball to the cutoff man ASAP.

McGowan was sorta stumbling around from the get-go as soon as the ball was hit. He never did really "get a bead" on that ball.

He may have taken a bad angle on the ball which caused him to be off-balance the whole time he was tracking that ball, which led to his delay in making the throw.

I certainly admit that sun had to be tough on that ball. I'm sure the sun was 17'ing with McGowan the whole time he was running it down.

And I agree that it was sort of a "perfect storm" that led to the runner at 2nd scoring.

However, I'd also say there's no 17'ing way last year's right fielder would have let that happen.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login