Meet the teenage millionaires: Another WSJ article on college football

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Amateur athletics: "With as much revenue as Major League Baseball and England’s Premier League combined, college sports already had multimillion-dollar bidding wars for coaches and eight of the world’s 10 largest stadiums."

“Everybody in the country is in this arms race” said University of Utah football coach Kyle Whittingham to The Salt Lake Tribune in October after all 85 scholarship players were given free leases and insurance for $45,000 pickups by Utah’s Crimson Collective."

"About half of college football fans root for just 16 teams, and Utah isn’t among them. Yet even Crimson Collective aims to raise $6 million for its football program next fiscal year"

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Do they show their sources for saying that the revenue is higher than MLB and EPL? I find that hard to believe.

I think many people are being taken for a ride with these inflated NIL numbers. And of course everyone is not hesitant to exaggerate it because it helps their agenda (such as coaches and ADs, because, "WE NEED IT TO COMPETE!!!!").

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
Do they show their sources for saying that the revenue is higher than MLB and EPL? I find that hard to believe.

I think many people are being taken for a ride with these inflated NIL numbers. And of course everyone is not hesitant to exaggerate it because it helps their agenda (such as coaches).
In fairness, they're citing "college athletics" not just college football. So you're talking year-round sports and pulling in HUNDREDS of teams against leagues with ~32.

The sentence is probably accurate but is misleading.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Amateur athletics: "With as much revenue as Major League Baseball and England’s Premier League combined, college sports already had multimillion-dollar bidding wars for coaches and eight of the world’s 10 largest stadiums."

“Everybody in the country is in this arms race” said University of Utah football coach Kyle Whittingham to The Salt Lake Tribune in October after all 85 scholarship players were given free leases and insurance for $45,000 pickups by Utah’s Crimson Collective."

"About half of college football fans root for just 16 teams, and Utah isn’t among them. Yet even Crimson Collective aims to raise $6 million for its football program next fiscal year"

That slobbering sound you hear is coming from this location:

Reactions: Ranchdawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login