Meltdown in Miami

MSF87

Sep 29, 2022
Miami lead Georgia Tech 20-17 with the clock ticking below 40 seconds, and elected to run the ball rather than kneel it to end the game. Miami's running back is stripped and GT recovers with 26 seconds left, no timeouts for Georgia Tech. They complete a pass beyond the 50 and spike it with 10 seconds left. They then hit a wide open receiver for the go-ahead touchdown with 2 seconds left.

Again, the game was over if Miami just kneels it.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Miami lead Georgia Tech 20-17 with the clock ticking below 40 seconds, and elected to run the ball rather than kneel it to end the game. Miami's running back is stripped and GT recovers with 26 seconds left, no timeouts for Georgia Tech. They complete a pass beyond the 50 and spike it with 10 seconds left. They then hit a wide open receiver for the go-ahead touchdown with 2 seconds left.

Again, the game was over if Miami just kneels it.
I am dumbfounded. What did I just watch?!?!

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The non-kneel down will get all the negative pub, and rightfully so.

However, you also can’t let a WR get behind the whole damn defense like that when you’re in prevent and there’s less than 10 seconds left and they are in hail mary mode. Ridiculous. Any completion in bounds ends the game because they would not have had time to get set for the spike. No reason to not have 4 DB’s standing on the goal line at the snap, and 4 more covering the out routes. Instead, they rushed 4, and the deepest safety was only 15 yards off the LOS at the snap.

The fact that those two events happened consecutively is unbelievable. And when I say unbelievable I’m talking about everyone from the head coach down to the waterboys being in on a point-shaving scandal level of unbelievable.

Last edited:

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Similar thing in the LSU game. They're ahead, running clock 58 seconds to go at midfield, ahead by 3, just don't screw up.

Daniels runs a read option on 2nd down and has the bright idea of pulling the ball away from the running back. Fumbles, ball squirts 12 yards into the backfield. Daniels gets real lucky and gets to the ball before the defense. Felt like the Arkansas -Tennessee screw up in 98. Mizzou with the ball past midfield in a 3 point game would probably have resulted in a different outcome in the game. A little situational awareness

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
That might be the worst coaching decision I’ve ever seen. Just complete incompetence.

I agree that it was a terrible decision to hand the ball to a RB rather than have he QB kneel.

However, the worst coaching decision ever goes to the Seattle Seahawks coaching staff for throwing that pass near the endzone rather than giving it to Marshawn and letting him run it in . . . in a Super Bowl, no less.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I agree that it was a terrible decision to hand the ball to a RB rather than have he QB kneel.

However, the worst coaching decision ever goes to the Seattle Seahawks coaching staff for throwing that pass near the endzone rather than giving it to Marshawn and letting him run it in . . . in a Super Bowl, no less.
Yep. They were running it down NE's throat at that point.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Why’d he slide at the end zone? He came within inches of ******* that up. Could you imagine being called down 1/2 yard out after all that?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Couldn't have happened to a better bunch, unless it was the ND Fighting Irish. Couldn't have happened to them though Saturday because they got spanked. Beano Cook rolled over in his grave, again. All it takes is one writer to say they are going to be good and all the others jump on the bandwagon.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Christibol needs a couple guys with a trapper keeper to tell him what to do like Arnett.

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
I can’t remember if it was the Eagles, Jets or who, but it happened in the NFL in the 80’s and the fumble was actually returned for a TD as I recall when all they had to no was kneel.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I can’t remember if it was the Eagles, Jets or who, but it happened in the NFL in the 80’s and the fumble was actually returned for a TD as I recall when all they had to no was kneel.
Miracle in the Meadowlands. Herm Edwards returned the fumble for a TD

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
lt like the Arkansas -Tennessee screw up in 98.
Woah, woah, woah. What you so casually call a "screw up", the rest of us call "Divine intervention".

The good guys finally catch a break, and you think it's a "screw up". SMH

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Miracle in the Meadowlands. Herm Edwards returned the fumble for a TD

That's really when "victory formation" became the standard way to kill the clock. Including having a RB well behind the QB to recover any bad snaps

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login