Memories at the Dude

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
What was the most memorable baseball series you ever attended? Mine would be sweeping Arkansas in 2018 and last season against OM. I have never heard that place get as loud as it did when Tanner Allen hit that triple. I wish I could have been at the ND and Stanford supers as well.

RougeSportsnerd

Mar 12, 2021
I was fortunate enough to have gone through a lot of games over the last three years.

Without a doubt, the Notre Dame series was such a unique and wonderful experience. The Sunday Game against Mississippi was unforgettable. That was the second loudest I’ve ever heard the stadium. When rowdy and Logan Tanner their hrs against Notre Dame, that place was on fire.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Stanford Super Regional:
a) Jake's final AB late in the game. Everybody was videoing, they played his walk up song (contrary to NCAA rules) and when he got to the batters box he tipped his helmet to everybody cheering
b) Macnamee's HR in same game against Stanford when the ump said something to him for the bat flip.

I just watched both videos again before posting and got chills on both

Clemson SR would be a close second

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Clemson Super Regional 2007. I have never been that hot in my life but it was a huge bright spot in an otherwise rough stretch for our program.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I remember Auburn 2011 because you knew were were finally good again after just an abysmal decade before that. Yeah I know we did some good things during that decade but you knew the whole time we were stagnant, Ole Miss was elite, and then the end was just awful. We had Cohen, and up until that point, you hoped he could get it done, but you didn't KNOW. 2011 ushered in the new era. Up until that point we had goofed around and lost some games we shouldn't have, even though you knew we had better talent. We won that Sunday game in a comeback at Vandy, and then sweeping Auburn was awesome.

Arkansas 2016 was pretty good, just an all around beating to win the SEC for the first time in forever. Oregon 2016 was fun too, that's why that team finally realized they were, in fact, elite.

2019 was just fun all year. We all thought that was the team that would win it.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Most memorable? April 8th 2006 SBW against UGA. We were on the open deck in right field boiling crawfish. 120qt pot and a propane double jet burner going full blast when the deck collapsed. Luckily we were right up against the fence and that part of the deck didn't fall, but our pot and cooker were ready to slide down that deck and dump everything all over everyone.

Luckily a friend of mine who never came to the games was there and he grabbed that hot as pot with his barehand and held it until we could come help stabilize. That could have been horrible and I would have been devastated if that would have dumped over in someone or the cooker somehow caught somebody's clothes on fire or something.

OliveBranchDAWG

Aug 22, 2012
I remember Auburn 2011 because you knew were were finally good again after just an abysmal decade before that. Yeah I know we did some good things during that decade but you knew the whole time we were stagnant, Ole Miss was elite, and then the end was just awful. We had Cohen, and up until that point, you hoped he could get it done, but you didn't KNOW. 2011 ushered in the new era. Up until that point we had goofed around and lost some games we shouldn't have, even though you knew we had better talent. We won that Sunday game in a comeback at Vandy, and then sweeping Auburn was awesome.

Arkansas 2016 was pretty good, just an all around beating to win the SEC for the first time in forever. Oregon 2016 was fun too, that's why that team finally realized they were, in fact, elite.

2019 was just fun all year. We all thought that was the team that would win it.

“Ole miss was elite” …what the hell?

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Stanford Super Regional:
a) Jake's final AB late in the game. Everybody was videoing, they played his walk up song (contrary to NCAA rules) and when he got to the batters box he tipped his helmet to everybody cheering
b) Macnamee's HR in same game against Stanford when the ump said something to him for the bat flip.

I just watched both videos again before posting and got chills on both

Clemson SR would be a close second

^^^THIS^^^ Been going for many years but that may be the best. When Mangum walked up, somebody on our rig started yelling for him to hit a homer. I told him "No, I want him to get an ugly-*** single." and he did. When Mac came up, I looked at the same guy and said "Now, I want a homer." Can't believe they both happened. Absolutely perfect at-bats for both guys in their last plate appearances at Dudy Noble. I watched that video again myself a couple of days ago. I still go back and watch it 5 or 6 times a year. I also go back and watch game 3 of the CWS about once a week.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
He must think they were elite from all those trips to Omaha during that time.**

Disregard him, he's the worst poster ever.

NOATLDAWG

Dec 29, 2020
I was at 14,991 and GS for Masters. And EVERY LSU series in the mid to late 90s was great.

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
Wasn't a huge game - but this past April I was at the 12 inning game against A&M that TA won with a walk off HR. It was only the 3rd game I've been to since 1995 and I was with my daughter who was graduating, my soon to be son-in-law, my wife, and my parents. It was the first game at Dudy Noble my parents had ever been to, and getting to see a back and forth battle won with a walk-off by one of the best in MSU history was special.

OliveBranchDAWG

Aug 22, 2012
Ole Miss has been the exact same program for 17 years, we just happened to suck for the first part of that. There is no difference in their last few teams and what they were from 2004-2009.

Yeah, you can’t say a program is “elite” that’s been to one CWS in 50 years

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
“Ole miss was elite” …what the hell?
Wow, you used to get ridiculed mercilessly on this board for idiotic emotional takes.

2003 - regional
2004 - regional host
2005 - #5 national seed
2006 - regional host and supers, SEC tournament champion
2007 - regional host and supers
2008 - regional
2009 - regional host and supers, SEC co-champion
2010 - regional

All of that while Ron Polk had his thumb up his ***, allowing all our typical recruits to go up there and build their program during that first run from 2003-2005. At the time, they were absolutely elite and we all knew it, there was no question, they had passed us by a mile. If you want to hung up on the word elite, that's on you. Define it however you like.

Of course, you are looking at it through the lens of our run the last 5-6 years, which is unprecedented in this state.

But hey man, way to derail the thread on an insignificant detail in my post that was only included to add context.

Last edited:

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Yeah, you can’t say a program is “elite” that’s been to one CWS in 50 years

I would be fine with calling them a very good program. Elite? No. We have only recently (as in 2019) risen back to an elite level ourselves. We were only a Top 16 seed twice from 2004-2018.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
In 1990, I was in the 3rd grade, and my mom checked my sister and I out of school to drive to Starkville for the weekend. We did this at least 3-4 times/yr to see my grandparents, but the day I'm talking about was in late May, and we had a match with Florida State in the Starkville regional. I didn't know a whole lot about MS baseball at that point in my life, and the details are fuzzy, but I do remember pulling into my grandparents driveway a couple hours into the game.

Had both my grandparents been home, chances are that we would have never bothered to go out there. However, as luck would have it, my granddad had been at the Dude since that morning. Long story short, we pulled into the parking lot late enough in the game such that we were able to walk right through the gates, and we sat down in our seats about 2 minutes before the slam. I didn't quite know what was going on, but I knew it was big, and it's hard to believe after all these years that it was one of the biggest moments in MSU sports history.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
Wow, you used to get ridiculed mercilessly on this board for idiotic emotional takes.

2003 - regional
2004 - regional host
2005 - #5 national seed
2006 - regional host and supers, SEC tournament champion
2007 - regional host and supers
2008 - regional
2009 - regional host and supers, SEC co-champion
2010 - regional

All of that while Ron Polk had his thumb up his ***, allowing all our typical recruits to go up there and build their program during that first run from 2003-2005. At the time, they were absolutely elite and we all knew it, there was no question, they had passed us by a mile. If you want to hung up on the word elite, that's on you. Define it however you like.

Of course, you are looking at it through the lens of our run the last 5-6 years, which is unprecedented in this state.

But hey man, way to derail the thread on an insignificant detail in my post that was only included to add context.

Not impressed. All that spells out is Ole Miss At Home Again.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I was at 14,991 and GS for Masters. And EVERY LSU series in the mid to late 90s was great.

I was at the 89 Florida 14,992, and the regional Masters had his grand slam but I missed that one game because I had to work (still pissed I just didn't call in sick). Also was at the 99 LSU series we had 14,378

I was also at the regional we won at home in 97 with my future kids. I took them to the games all the time.

My best memory is just a conference game against Alabama. I can't remember what year it was but we got to the game late. Before we could sit down in our seats Alabama had already scored several runs in the first inning. It look like there was no way we could come back but we decided to stay anyway and at least watch the game. Boy we were glad we stayed because we might've thought we couldn't come back but we did and walked off the game late when Alabama choked away a huge lead.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
My favorite was from the regional in 1985. I had just graduated. My Dad and I went down for every game but the last one, I had to work. The incident I remember was from, I think, our first game. I don't remember who we were playing. We wound up sitting in the isle on the steps in the old wooden covered section. There was a group of old guys down front that were always there and a couple of them were master hecklers. We loaded up the bases and either Palmerio or Clark one was up, I honestly don't remember which. There was a big conference on the mound. One of the old geezers yelled the whole time, "YOU BETTER WALK HIM BOY, ONE RUN'S BETTER THAN FOUR!" They decided to pitch to him and he promptly hit a Grand Slam. As we were circling the bases the coach went out to pull the pitcher. As the pitcher was walking to the dugout it finally quieted down a bit. The old geezer piped up in a very snarky voice, "I TOLD you to walk him boy!" The whole place broke up. Fun stuff.

DudyDog

Jun 18, 2008
Some of the most memorable times that I've had was when they used to hold the SEC tourney at campus sites. Held one my sr. year at State a week after we had finished school. Still had our apartment through the end of May, so we stayed on through the tourney. Never forget one afternoon game where we were in our usual spot in right field watching Florida and LSU play. We had adopted the Fla. RF who would come out between innings and take a swig of beer that we had for him. Late in the game after we had gone through numerous beverages, Fla. hit a ball right at us. We thought it might be out but it hit about 10 feet from the fence and bounced around right in front of us. The LSU RF came back to retrieve the ball and when he got to the fence one of my buddies emptied his newly poured, full cup of beer right on top of his head. The RF had the sense to throw the ball back in before turning and giving us a good cussing. It wasn't 3 minutes later and here comes none other than the infamous Larry Templeton and 2 cops. To say he was pissed would be an understatement. Some how, and I don't know how, but he didn't throw anybody out. I'll never forget the words that he said though....Son of a *****!! We're not even playing!! Like, if we had been playing it would have made it ok to have done what we did. I'll never forget that. We still get a laugh out of that to this day. After the game, the RF and several of his buddies joined us and they were going crazy over what we had done. Ended up taking a Florida baseball cap home with me when it was over. Good times at the Dude.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
97 Regional. We brought leaded and unleaded drinks in a cooler to the games. Bourbon in the Lipton Iced Tea bottles and Jagermeister in the coke bottles. We drank a lot in the hot Sun and saw some incredible baseball. We hated Chris Magruder but learned to respect him by the end of that regional. There was incredible baseball, great friends, and the Bulldogs advanced. What more can you ask?

Aug 23, 2012
Ole Miss series 1972. The night of the BIG FIGHT. Just suffice it to say I was involved and had a sore jaw for several days with no damage to any Ole Missers unless his hand was hurt.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
Brantley Jones beating the Rebs to win the SEC and giving the double bird as he walked off the mound. He also wore an Archie who button.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
What was the most memorable baseball series you ever attended? Mine would be sweeping Arkansas in 2018 and last season against OM. I have never heard that place get as loud as it did when Tanner Allen hit that triple. I wish I could have been at the ND and Stanford supers as well.

I was at the Stanford and the ND super regionals. After the Stanford series, I thought nothing would ever top that, but the ND series did. That first game was off the charts intense, especially when Sims struck out the big Greek in the 8th inning after we had taken the lead in a back and forth game. That was epic, and the crowd just exploded. I believe that was the loudest I have ever heard it.

Masal32

May 12, 2018
2007 Clemson was amazing. But I also think it’s because it had been so long since we had experienced it. Stanford was just magical. I never felt like we weren’t going to win that thing. This year, I was out of pocket for most of the post season. I had right rely on Twitter and game cast for parts of it....it was miserable.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login