memphis: first #1 team to lose

TigerApologist

Mar 16, 2008
They say this every year. We get no respect, even though we played a top 25 schedule with OOC opponents such as Arizona, Oklahoma, UConn, Georgetown, USC, and Gonzaga. Not to mention beating tournament teams Siena and Austin Peay by almost 40. I don't know what else we can do-- we lose to the number #2 team in the country by single digits and had the lead with 30 secs left in the game--that's as good of a loss as you can have. Plus back to back Elite 8s should at least give us some credence. Even CUSA isn't bad-- we finished the season with 6 teams in the RPI top 110.
Playing in a tough conference doesn't guarantee you tournament success either-- last year the ACC got 6 teams in the tournament and only one made it to the Sweet 16.
At least this year they aren't predicting us to be the 1st number 1 seed to lose to a 16 seed like they have for the past 3 years. I bet most of them haven't even seen us play other than our worst game of the year vs. UT.
Also, I noticed that people keep citing that Southern Miss played us tough? They gave us a little bit of a game in Hattiesburg (it was a 9 pt win), but we beat them by almost 40 on our home floor, and jumped up on them 19-3 during the CUSA tournament before calling the dogs off.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
And yes, you did hammer them in your other meetings. But, most people remember a loss or close victory and ignore the other games. Case in point, we handled up on UGA in the regular season and lost to them Saturday. Most people will remember us losing to them Saturday rather than us beating them handily in the regular season. That's the way it works. And yes, most people have only watched you play UT. That's because your conference games are typically a joke. That's not the fault of Memphis, but it is a side effect of playing in a weak conference. Between the start of conference play and now most people have only watched one Memphis game, and that was a loss.

That being said, I'll add this. If the MSU that played in the SEC regular season shows up this weekend we will be a tough out. Not saying we will beat Oregon or you, just saying we will be tough to beat. If the MSU that played this past weekend shows up we will probably lose to Oregon, but would almost definantly get hammered by you guys.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login