Memphis...

Mar 18, 2007
I've seen all the threads about how Memphis hasn't really played anybody but Tennessee and they beat them... Memphis just appears so good because they play in CUSA... I'm not sure I'm buying it... Take a look at the scores from a few of there games against Tourney teams and how those teams have done thus far in the tourney...

UM 63 - Oklahoma 53 - Oklahoma got a 6 seed and beat St. Joe's by 8.
UM 81 - U Conn 70 - U Conn got a 4 seed and lost to a hot SD team by 1 in OT.
UM 85 - Georgetown 71 - Georgetown got a 2 seed and beat UMBC by 19
UM 102 - Siean 58 - Siena got a 13 seed and beat Vandy by 21
UM 81 - Gonzaga 73 - Gonzaga got a 7 seed and lost to a Davidson team that has won 20 something straight by 6.
UT 66 - UM 62 - UT got a 2 seed and beat American by 15.

Memphis outscored their opponents on the year by a total of 19 points...

Now... I will agree that Memphis played many weaker teams from CUSA, but some of the teams are pretty decent to say the least...
I'm just not buying the "They haven't played anybody but UT" ********... I hope like hell we can at least keep this one close... And, if by some chance we do win this game, I think it says alot about how far our team has come since the end of December...

Good Luck Dawgs, and GTHOM...

Mar 18, 2007
I've seen all the threads about how Memphis hasn't really played anybody but Tennessee and they beat them... Memphis just appears so good because they play in CUSA... I'm not sure I'm buying it... Take a look at the scores from a few of there games against Tourney teams and how those teams have done thus far in the tourney...

UM 63 - Oklahoma 53 - Oklahoma got a 6 seed and beat St. Joe's by 8.
UM 81 - U Conn 70 - U Conn got a 4 seed and lost to a hot SD team by 1 in OT.
UM 85 - Georgetown 71 - Georgetown got a 2 seed and beat UMBC by 19
UM 102 - Siean 58 - Siena got a 13 seed and beat Vandy by 21
UM 81 - Gonzaga 73 - Gonzaga got a 7 seed and lost to a Davidson team that has won 20 something straight by 6.
UT 66 - UM 62 - UT got a 2 seed and beat American by 15.

Memphis outscored their opponents on the year by a total of 19 points...

Now... I will agree that Memphis played many weaker teams from CUSA, but some of the teams are pretty decent to say the least...
I'm just not buying the "They haven't played anybody but UT" ********... I hope like hell we can at least keep this one close... And, if by some chance we do win this game, I think it says alot about how far our team has come since the end of December...

Good Luck Dawgs, and GTHOM...

Brutius

Aug 5, 2004
All those wins were at home or neutral site. Oklahoma also lost to Colorado and Nebraska. Siena played the game of their career, they lost to teams like James Madison, Cornell, Fairfield, and Loyola (MD), and Manhattan (12-19). Georgetown was a quality win but was in Memphis.

And if you are basing all your arguments over beating teams in the NCAA tournament, Memphis beat USC by only 4 points, and KSU kicked their ***.

Mar 18, 2007
I just think Memphis deserves a little more credit than they are getting... Don't get my wrong... If they were in the SEC, I don't think they would've been any better than 10-6... And the only team we've played that plays a style of ball similar to them is UT and they kicked our asses for about 33 minutes... In no way do I see this game as a scrimage for Memphis but, In no way do I see us having a chance in it without a full 40 minutes of effort from every single player on the court and the bench... The teammates on the bench can really pump our guys up if they will get in it and stay it from the start... I Know I'm excited to see if we can actually play a complete game... Something we haven't done since we came home from Nashville...

Brutius

Aug 5, 2004
I was wondering if it was because I was on my laptop and I hadn't hit "Mark all read", so I was kinda scared to hit that...but it seems to be working.

patdog

May 28, 2007
What they're saying is that they've only played one tough team in the past 3 months, and they lost that game. I'm not totally buying it either. They played the same cupcake CUSA schedule in each of the past 2 years and made the Elite 8 both times (although they were the beneficiary of some upsets in the tourney 2 years ago). We can beat them, but it'll take our best game of the year to do it.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
we have the athletes to play with Memphis and they don't do anything to scare me. I was more worried about last night than tomorrow. It's a toss up to me.

patdog

May 28, 2007
As dawgstudent says, we're as athletic as any team in the country. We're not as deep as they are, so we'll have to play zone and try to slow the game down and frustrate them. But with the longer TV time outs, their depth won't be as big a factor as it would be in the regular season.</p>

C

Cains Major

I don't think we have enough stuff to win the tournament, but we can beat ANYBODY in the tourney on a given day. I think this will be our day.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

</p>

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
that magical run to the Elite Eight through whoever the hell they played in the first round, Bucknell and Bradley was memorable. Last year's run was much more impressive to me.

Memphis doesn't scare me at all. They are a good, solid top 10-15 team. They are by no means one of the 4 best teams in America. We have the capability of playing at that top 15 level when we are clicking. Memphis plays very sloppily at times and fall in love with jacking up 3's. They simply out-athlete 99% of teams they play because of the nature of their league. They'd probably go 11-5 or so in the SEC. Good, but nothing special. We can beat them.

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
Memphis' biggest true road win of the season was beating UAB in Birmingham. And they should've lost that one. UConn and Oklahoma are only mildly impressive wins, both on neutral floors. Everything else was in Memphis.

WebbFreeman

Nov 21, 2007
We are in effect a #1 seed heading to the sweet 16. You have to beat good teams to make a deep run, but the 1 seed has an easier path.

ScoobaDawg

Jun 4, 2007
Uhm.. you do realize the next two games to get to the final four would include the winner of Pitt/MSU and then Texas (in Houston)?

Sure..sounds like a picnic.

BewareOfMSUDawg

Oct 8, 2006
We can hang with Memphis. Oregon's style was more scary to me, with all those outside shooters.

Although I'm normally pessimistic regarding MSU sports, I think we have a decent shot at the Tigers. It'll be a close one either way.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
is that Memphis got it together a lot sooner than we did.

But the good news is we came together and had a good SEC season, got cold in the SEC Tournament, were cold in the first half against Oregon, but seem to have picked it up against Oregon in the second half.

Memphis could also afford to get cold during their conference slate moreso than we could. Remember they almost lost to UAB.

Again, I'm not saying that I think we will definately win, but I think it will be a good game if we come to play like we can, and if we have a shot to win with 5 min. left, I like our odds. We can play hack a Tiger and probably beat them with their FT shooting or lack thereof.

jackbaddawg

Nov 16, 2005
not just the one of them getting hot only in the 2nd half. If we bring our A game from the opening buzzer we have a great shot.I f we wait till the middle of the second half to start playing,we can fuggittaboutit.

Oct 31, 2006
Something will happen like Jarvis getting in foul trouble and their athleticism will allow them to pull away.

That's what my head says, anyway. My heart says this: Dear Sweet Baby Jesus, please allow us to beat these pre-parole bound, 10 per cent graduation rate, mother-raping thugs. Please. Amen

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login