Men’s basketball commit. 4 Star Power Forward

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Surprised Pearl didn't jump on him too. However, if Beard and Oats were that interested, then he must be pretty decent.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
It’s not called Jeff Davis anymore, but he looks to be a good get.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Hopefully we can hang on to Jans for a while. He seems to be doing well in the new environment of college sports, at least for THIS week. It's changing so much who in the heck knows what NEXT week will bring:

NashLA

May 5, 2009
Is it not cool to show your face to a camera anymore? Is he depressed, or just looking at his new kicks?

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Is it not cool to show your face to a camera anymore? Is he depressed, or just looking at his new kicks?

That is sure a strange way to present yourself.

Seems like a great pickup, but it is a long time before he is ready to enroll.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Yeah. I think they merged with Carver or something like that.
The Montgomery Board of Education voted to change the names of Jeff Davis and Lee High Schools during the Summer of Floyd. The New names were chosen in 2022. I'm surprised a recruiting site would still refer to Jeff Davis.

But I also notice Givan is wearing a John Marshall uniform in the pics. Don't know if he transferred from VA, or if JM is some type of AAU thing.

For anyone interested, Jeff Davis became a symbol for the futility of government committees, and was renamed for not one, not two, but THREE figures of the civil rights movement in Montgomery. It's now officially named JAG, an acronym of the 3 names, and their new mascot is the Jaguars.

Lee was renamed after Percy Julian, a relatively famous black chemist who was born in Montgomery. They are the Julian Phoenix (Phoenixes?, Phoenii?)

Reactions: mstateglfr

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
Like I’ve said along, men’s hoop with Jans coaching is our best ticket for success. He’s shown he knows what he’s doing. If he can start pulling in recruits like this guy, I like our chances going forward. I understand the aura behind the baseball program history ( I was going to games there since I was 6). But the guy in charge isn’t the answer. Quit wasting resources on a non revenue sport. Get behind this basketball program. Opportunities like this don’t come along often.

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
Like I’ve said along, men’s hoop with Jans coaching is our best ticket for success. He’s shown he knows what he’s doing. If he can start pulling in recruits like this guy, I like our chances going forward. I understand the aura behind the baseball program history ( I was going to games there since I was 6). But the guy in charge isn’t the answer. Quit wasting resources on a non revenue sport. Get behind this basketball program. Opportunities like this don’t come along often.
1720894559490.gif

Reactions: BonzoGoesToCollege

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Happy Married At First Sight GIF by Lifetime

Reactions: BonzoGoesToCollege

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
preach GIF by Shalita Grant

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
The Montgomery Board of Education voted to change the names of Jeff Davis and Lee High Schools during the Summer of Floyd. The New names were chosen in 2022. I'm surprised a recruiting site would still refer to Jeff Davis.

But I also notice Givan is wearing a John Marshall uniform in the pics. Don't know if he transferred from VA, or if JM is some type of AAU thing.

For anyone interested, Jeff Davis became a symbol for the futility of government committees, and was renamed for not one, not two, but THREE figures of the civil rights movement in Montgomery. It's now officially named JAG, an acronym of the 3 names, and their new mascot is the Jaguars.

Lee was renamed after Percy Julian, a relatively famous black chemist who was born in Montgomery. They are the Julian Phoenix (Phoenixes?, Phoenii?)
You sure it wasn't renamed George Floyd High?

gtowndawg

Jan 23, 2007

Reactions: retire the banner

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Agree with the first part.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012

I recently heard it referred to as ”Jeff Davis hs” and was wondering wtf. Especially when I heard it was in Montgomery.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I recently heard it referred to as ”Jeff Davis hs” and was wondering wtf. Especially when I heard it was in Montgomery.
Here is the kicker on those two schools' original names:

Brown v. Board of Education was decided in 1954. Montgomery opened a new school in 1955, and named it Robert E. Lee. Coincidence?

Federal Judge Frank Johnson (the "J" in JAG) issued an order desegrating all public schools in Montgomery in 1967. In 1968, Montgomery opened a new school and named it Jefferson Davis. Another coincidence, I'm sure.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Brown v. Board of Education was decided in 1954. Montgomery opened a new school in 1955, and named it Robert E. Lee. Coincidence?

Federal Judge Frank Johnson (the "J" in JAG) issued an order desegrating all public schools in Montgomery in 1967. In 1968, Montgomery opened a new school and named it Jefferson Davis. Another coincidence, I'm sure.
I’ve got no problem renaming those schools. But naming one school after three people is pretty ridiculous.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I’ve got no problem renaming those schools. But naming one school after three people is pretty ridiculous.
Naming by committee. Seems like they could have saved a couple of the names for future schools.

Of course, the white guy's name comes first out of the three. Just setting up the next controversy.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021

Not sure how old you are but moved from St Paul MN to Montgomery in 1969 and attended 8th grade at Cloverdale that I think fed JD? Memory's fading but all the big HS games were played at Crampton Bowl? Some what aware of "something going on" but at that age, not really locked in on it. Played rec football in MN but that was my intro to "real football". Did something wrong in a game, came to the sideline and got yanked to the ground by my facemask. Well OK then, guess this is different.
So who is the A and G?

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
So who is the A and G?
I'm glad you asked, because I was wrong about something above.

The "A" is Ralph David Abernathy who was the head of the SCLC in Montgomery and organized the bus boycott.

The "G" is Robert Graetz, a Lutheran minister who openly supported the boycott. I just realized a few minutes ago that Graetz was also white, although he lead a black congregation.

So, I have to retract my quip about the white guy's name coming first. Instead, Montgomery chose three civil rights activists, and two of them were white. They were also pretty much reviled by white society in Montgomery.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login