Men’s hoops - Am I the only one that was impressed?

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
A few things stood out to me

1) First and foremost, we were down 3 key players from our rotation, including our best player, yet we maintained a 20-pt lead for half the game

2) It’s easy to assume that defense is going to be a Jans staple, but I still wanted to see it with my own eyes, and yep… still there. I don’t know how he gets these kids to buy in to it because some of the top coaches in the world can’t even do it, but it’s obvious to me that you don’t play for him if you don’t bring defensive intensity

3) Ok, the offense was rough for much of the game, but that run at the end of the first half was something we never saw last season. If we can manage a 10-0 or 15-4 type run at least once in a game, look out, because this team is going to be tough to come back on from double digits

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
I was impressed with the depth and that the scoring came from different places. I’m ok if Jeffries doesn’t take a shot during the game if we can get points elsewhere. Last year we couldn’t.

id like to see Hubbard and Taylor find their stroke against some scrub teams and get their confidence going. But Hubbard did do some good things yesterday. If he, Fort, Davis, and Shak can handle the guard spots then just use Taylor at the 2 or a mismatch 3 to get him some open looks as a spot shooter. Maybe he was just nervous but it doesn’t look like he is much of a shot creator. Hubbard showed more flashes of that.

Cam is just a stud. Let him bang the other team into submission and get his dirty baskets. I was impressed with Bell’s footwork and presence down low. He is not just a guy that gets putback buckets on offensive boards.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We did what we are supposed to do vs. a P5 team that lost everybody. Beat them down easily, even if not perfect. So yeah, impressed for sure.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I am excited. Loved watching them get out there. We need an offensive personality when we hit those 8 minute stretches where we look lost. We should be able to do one hand signal to the team to switch our focus to the big man on offense or something.

They shouldn't look to pass the ball to DJ when the shot clock is below 8 seconds. Air ball city.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
A few things stood out to me

1) First and foremost, we were down 3 key players from our rotation, including our best player, yet we maintained a 20-pt lead for half the game

2) It’s easy to assume that defense is going to be a Jans staple, but I still wanted to see it with my own eyes, and yep… still there. I don’t know how he gets these kids to buy in to it because some of the top coaches in the world can’t even do it, but it’s obvious to me that you don’t play for him if you don’t bring defensive intensity

3) Ok, the offense was rough for much of the game, but that run at the end of the first half was something we never saw last season. If we can manage a 10-0 or 15-4 type run at least once in a game, look out, because this team is going to be tough to come back on from double digits
Didn't get to watch but a little bit early game. Defense looked like what you'd expect from Jans. Offense looked to be focused on 3 pointers with limited success. Ball movement was solid. Outcome wise, yes. Solid outing.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
The amount of switching they do on defense is unbelievable. Bell was a hoss down low and looked like he had some offensive skills.
I'd love to see Bell, Tolu, and Cam on the floor together a time or two. That would give me nightmares if I was on the opposing team and was hoping to go anywhere near the basket or get a rebound at some point in the ballgame.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Really happy to see a couple of the new guys are good enough to step in and be effective.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I bought in last night. I was nervous at the start when they were clanging 3 pt. attempt and missing free throws. That got resolved pretty quickly, though.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I didn't watch it, but I do know it is NOT permissible to think positive thoughts of any kind about any sport at MSU at the moment. :)

• Haha
Reactions: preacher_dawg

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
No you were not. I was elated that we have the same defensive energy, along with better offense!

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I know enough about basketball to know Chris Jans is a great motivator and coach. The way he gets those guys to play defense is amazing down to each man. He's mastered the art of being aggressive without fouling, which is unbelievable for today's players.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Men’s hoops - Am I the only one that was impressed?

Yes. Well, you and the drunk comment crew batstool had doing the game.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login