Mets top 30 Prospects

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I found this list on the Mets website about their Top 30 Prospects.

Jake is hitting .305 in AAA and is not on the list. This is why baseball, and many professional sports, valuation systems suck.
They get a notion about a guy and then they seem to try and keep that valuation about the guy. So if they rate you high early they will give you every opportunity to suck and keep waiting for their genius to show. If they think negative of you early it is like they again want to prove they were right. It is hard to change where they think you belong.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I found this list on the Mets website about their Top 30 Prospects.

Jake is hitting .305 in AAA and is not on the list. This is why baseball, and many professional sports, valuation systems suck.
They get a notion about a guy and then they seem to try and keep that valuation about the guy. So if they rate you high early they will give you every opportunity to suck and keep waiting for their genius to show. If they think negative of you early it is like they again want to prove they were right. It is hard to change where they think you belong.

He actually made their list for a little while last year, but he fell off because they had a really, really good draft and he missed a huge chunk of this year to injury.

And Jake has always had his limitations - he's already too old to be a prospect, and while he's playing at a high level defensively, there's a lot of valid concerns about his bat. Nobody values batting average anymore as much as slugging and OBP. And let's face it - it's really more about investment than anything else, and the Mets don't have a lot invested in Jake.

I've been saying for a while that the best thing for Jake is to move to another organization, because I don't think he has a path to the show where he is. And I believe he's rule 5 eligible after this year, which means he's likely going elsewhere next year anyway, because the Mets aren't going to protect him from the rule 5 draft.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
He actually made their list for a little while last year, but he fell off because they had a really, really good draft and he missed a huge chunk of this year to injury.

And Jake has always had his limitations - he's already too old to be a prospect, and while he's playing at a high level defensively, there's a lot of valid concerns about his bat. Nobody values batting average anymore as much as slugging and OBP. And let's face it - it's really more about investment than anything else, and the Mets don't have a lot invested in Jake.

I've been saying for a while that the best thing for Jake is to move to another organization, because I don't think he has a path to the show where he is. And I believe he's rule 5 eligible after this year, which means he's likely going elsewhere next year anyway, because the Mets aren't going to protect him from the rule 5 draft.

I’m not sure I fully understand the concerns about the bat. Yeah, BA isn’t viewed as being as important, but OPS is pretty much considered the gold standard for offensive production. Jake’s currently sporting a .837 OPS at the AAA level. MLB average is only about .750, and that’s about where the current starting CF and LF for the Mets are hovering. That’s also the 2nd highest OPS of any of the Syracuse Mets outfielders thus far this season.

As far as his future with the Mets, I think a lot depends on what happens around Jake moreso than what he does from this point. Does Nimmo get resigned, or do they lose him in FA? If they lose him, where do they spend that money? Do the prospects below him progress well enough to advance past him in the next 1-2 years? Either way, he’s got a super high floor as a hitter, is a capable defender, and probably above all will be cheap. That combination is going to get him called up at some point, whether it be with the Mets or somebody else.

Last edited:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I’m not sure I fully understand the concerns about the bat. Yeah, BA isn’t viewed as being as important, but OPS is pretty much considered the gold standard for offensive production. Jake’s currently sporting a .837 OPS at the AAA level. MLB average is only about .750, and that’s about where the current starting CF and LF for the Mets are hovering. That’s also the 2nd highest OPS of any of the Syracuse Mets outfielders thus far this season.

As far as his future with the Mets, I think a lot depends on what happens around Jake moreso than what he does from this point. Does Nimmo get resigned, or do they lose him in FA? If they lose him, where do they spend that money? Do the prospects below him progress well enough to advance past him in the next 1-2 years? Either way, he’s got a super high floor as a hitter, is a capable defender, and probably above all will be cheap. That combination is going to get him called up at some point, whether it be with the Mets or somebody else.

First of all, Nimmo's getting resigned. Both parties have acknowledged it's going to happen. But even if it doesn't, they'd just move Marte back to center. Secondly, there are a few more highly regarded OFs than Jake, and a couple of them have already had MLB at-bats. One of them has helped the big club this year. Thirdly, none of these are my original thoughts really....I'm only relaying the stuff I've heard. I recommend giving Joe DeMayo a follow....he's their minors guru and this is all stuff that he's saying.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
First of all, Nimmo's getting resigned. Both parties have acknowledged it's going to happen. But even if it doesn't, they'd just move Marte back to center. Secondly, there are a few more highly regarded OFs than Jake, and a couple of them have already had MLB at-bats. One of them has helped the big club this year. Thirdly, none of these are my original thoughts really....I'm only relaying the stuff I've heard. I recommend giving Joe DeMayo a follow....he's their minors guru and this is all stuff that he's saying.

10-4. That’s a good follow rec. And I agree that the rule 5 draft seems likely for Jake. If so, I hope he finds a good landing spot.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login