MHSAA Reclassification is out...

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Pontotoc county has a 5A and two 4A teams? Are there that many people living in there now?

Are they pulling some kids out of Tupelo and Oxford?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
@57stratdawg -- Yep. Pontotoc is the 4th smallest 5A school. South Pontotoc is the 6th smallest 4A school & North Pontotoc is slightly larger.

@8dog -- Correct.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Pontotoc county has a 5A and two 4A teams? Are there that many people living in there now?

Pontotoc is a desirable area. Close to Oxford, Tupelo and an hour to Starkville. New Albany is nice too.

That whole area is growing. Not in a crazy way, but still adding people.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Try going to a playoff game above Columbus when your kid is in school in Pascagoula. That's a ridiculous trip. Heck, district games are 2.5 hour drives in 1A. This corrects that.
It does.

It’s odd to see the 1A football regions to be arranged as they are with the North Half being four 4-team regions and the South Half being three 6-team regions and a 4-teamer. But it looks to be the best way for the regions to work.

Also, Murrah & Jim Hill will be independents in football (even though the Tigers are listed as a regional team in 6A). I expect those 7A & 6A regions that have the odd number of teams will arrange to have non-region contests against each other late in the season.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It does.

It’s odd to see the 1A football regions to be arranged as they are with the North Half being four 4-team regions and the South Half being three 6-team regions and a 4-teamer. But it looks to be the best way for the regions to work.

Also, Murrah & Jim Hill will be independents in football (even though the Tigers are listed as a regional team in 6A). I expect those 7A & 6A regions that have the odd number of teams will arrange to have non-region contests against each other late in the season.
Interesting. I wonder how Murray & Jim Hill are going to find games once district play starts. Most of the teams that will have an open date to play them are the same teams they’re trying to avoid. Football should really go to some sort of relegation promotion model. Too many gross mismatches classifying by school size. Murray probably hasn’t won 10 district games in the last 10 years.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
@patdog — The 3A & 4A classes have several regions with odd numbers of schools. I expect Jim Hill & Murrah to play them.

The Jackson-area 4A region has Lanier, Wingfield, Richland, and Raymond. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Lanier and Wingfield be opponents and maybe Raymond too. Mendenhall is nearby and could also be considered.

3A doesn’t have a region made up primarily of Jackson area schools. McLaurin and maybe Magee as well as Crystal Springs & Hazlehurst are nearby possibilities.

6A has Callaway and Forest Hill available. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they’re on Jim Hill or Murrah’s schedules.

patdog

May 28, 2007
@patdog — The 3A & 4A classes have several regions with odd numbers of schools. I expect Jim Hill & Murrah to play them.

The Jackson-area 4A region has Lanier, Wingfield, Richland, and Raymond. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Lanier and Wingfield be opponents and maybe Raymond too. Mendenhall is nearby and could also be considered.

3A doesn’t have a region made up primarily of Jackson area schools. McLaurin and maybe Magee as well as Crystal Springs & Hazlehurst are nearby possibilities.

6A has Callaway and Forest Hill available. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they’re on Jim Hill or Murrah’s schedules.
Ah, you’re right. 4A and below only have 5 teams per district. And Forest Hill will have an open date. Don’t see one for Callaway though. Looks like their division has 6 teams.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
@patdog — Good catch on Callaway. Those teams and region numbers go on and on…

That said, I still wouldn’t be surprised if Callaway played both Jim Hill & Murrah.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Classes:

Football Regions:

What doesn't make sense in our neck of the woods is that Wesson is in Region 7-3A and Hazlehurst and Crystal Springs are in Region 6-3A. All 3 are in Copiah County and within 20 miles of each other. CS and Wesson are both in the County school district.

Wesson went from being one of the largest 2A schools in state 4 yrs ago to being one of the smallest 3As after the previous reclassification. Went from winning Region 6-2A every year in football to winning 2 Region games a year in 3A. Hazlehurst beat us 75-27 this year.

Anyway, my son is a senior this year and he's our youngest (has been accepted to State engineering for 23-24) so I will have less interest than the past 17 years of having kids in school at Wesson.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I was wrong. The travel issue hasn't been corrected in 1A. They put the delta teams in the south. So, potentially, you could see a drive to/from Pascagoula to around Cleveland still.
That's ridiculous!

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

Toyota and Ashley responsible for the most part. Particularly Ashley. They have attracted a LOT of latino's to that area.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I was wrong. The travel issue hasn't been corrected in 1A. They put the delta teams in the south. So, potentially, you could see a drive to/from Pascagoula to around Cleveland still.
That's ridiculous!
If you want the Delta up north, you’d have to flip things completely.

Move Falkner & Myrtle from Region 2 to Region 1.
Combine the remainder of Region 2 with all of Region 3, call it Region 2.
Move Region 5 North, call it Region 3.
Region 4 is untouched.

In the South…
Move McAdams and Velma Jackson out of Region 6 & combine them with Leake County & Mt. Olive from Region 7 to create Region 5 of the South.

The remaining teams from Region 6 stay the same and remain Region 6.

Stringer and Taylorsville from Region 7 combine with Salem and Enterprise (Lincoln) of Region 8 to be Region 7.

The remaining teams in Region 8 stay the same and remain Region 8.

The big question: Does this make travel worse within Regions?

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Better in region play. Delta has always been north. The Columbus area is normally south.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
What doesn't make sense in our neck of the woods is that Wesson is in Region 7-3A and Hazlehurst and Crystal Springs are in Region 6-3A. All 3 are in Copiah County and within 20 miles of each other. CS and Wesson are both in the County school district.

Wesson went from being one of the largest 2A schools in state 4 yrs ago to being one of the smallest 3As after the previous reclassification. Went from winning Region 6-2A every year in football to winning 2 Region games a year in 3A. Hazlehurst beat us 75-27 this year.

Anyway, my son is a senior this year and he's our youngest (has been accepted to State engineering for 23-24) so I will have less interest than the past 17 years of having kids in school at Wesson.
There are a few issues with 3A schools and travel.

McLaurin is in 5-3A with Enterprise - Clarke, SE Lauderdale, Kemper County, and Noxubee County.

I could see Wesson being in 6-3A with Tylertown moving to 7-3A & Seminary going to 8-3A.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Interesting from Jones County. 4 schools that used to all be roughly the same size and all in the same district are now spread over 4 different districts and 3 classifications and school sizes range from West Jones at 782 to Northeast Jones at 464. Surprised South Jones isn't 6A. Not long ago there was a good bit of growth from Hattiesburg area down there.

Also, South Jones is really bad. They’re getting blown out by 0-9 Brookhaven. Would have thought Breland would get them competitive at least.

Last edited:

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
That's ridiculous!
1A just has more teams in the geographic north. There is no way around doing that to somebody. I'm sure the Delta teams don't like it either.

kired

Aug 22, 2008

That’s really not a lot of kids. My quick math says all three Pontotoc schools combined have less than Tupelo - and less than half of Lee County total if you add Tupelo, Saltillo, Mooreville and Shannon

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Interesting from Jones County. 4 schools that used to all be roughly the same size and all in the same district are now spread over 4 different districts and 3 classifications and school sizes range from West Jones at 782 to Northeast Jones at 464. Surprised South Jones isn't 6A. Not long ago there was a good bit of growth from Hattiesburg area down there.

Also, South Jones is really bad. They’re getting blown out by 0-9 Brookhaven. Would have thought Breland would get them competitive at least.
South Jones has so many problems in athletics there's not enough space here to describe it. Let's just say the school doesn't really run athletics there.

mississippiheel

Jun 17, 2018
Interesting. I wonder how Murray & Jim Hill are going to find games once district play starts. Most of the teams that will have an open date to play them are the same teams they’re trying to avoid. Football should really go to some sort of relegation promotion model. Too many gross mismatches classifying by school size. Murray probably hasn’t won 10 district games in the last 10 years.
Thought it was Murrah and Provine

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Hamilton will move up to 2A, Hatley will move down to 2A and Smithville will remain 1A. These are the schools in my school district. Hamilton completed and undefeated season last night! On to the playoffs.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login