Mike Leach's Plan for College Football with NIL

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Love it, especially the graduation bonus that is higher than the vast majority get from NIL currently.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Leach's plan is about long term sustainability for both college football and the lives of non-NFL bound players. The way it's set up now many players are going to get some quick NIL money, not make the NFL and be uneducated and flat broke by time they're in their mid twenties. Leach's plan at the very least is one hell of a good blue print. I am very proud of taking the time to show he cares.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Leach's ideas all go a little TOO far. He also wants a 64-team playoff for college football. The idea is good, but he's going too far.

So, what SHOULD happen, is the NFL allows the players to go pro earlier. Then NIL likely dies down a good bit. I think the portal is likely here to stay, seeing how the NCAA wants to allow total free movement, so cat is of that bag. Funnel some TV money down into a bigger stipend. Outlaw the 'sponsoring' of whole groups based on school, and further, ANYTHING based on the school, is against the rules. Then finally, expand the playoff to 12 or 16 teams.

I've got no problem with an athlete going to a school based on potential NIL opportunities. But they really need to get the boosters out of the legal recruiting game. And this can be done, there's a paper trail. At least make them do it under the table. This is the first issue. We can deal with transfers later.

I don't like the idea of having 2 groups of rules for players. You can mitigate that by working with the NFL to get their **** together.

Last edited:

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
If the blue blood donors got tired of paying players that transfer, they might actually agree to this. The problem would be you'd still have under the table payments to athletes that choose the student athlete track.

That’s where the NCAA has to step in.
You try to skirt the rules and pay kids to declare the SA track so you can cheat the draft? Death penalty. Simple as that. Imagine if it was discovered that Jerry Jones paid a kid’s family $50 million to not sign with any NFL team that drafted him, so the Cowboys could sign him to a free agent deal after the draft? Goodell would eviscerate them as a franchise.

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Outlaw the 'sponsoring' of whole groups based on school, and further, ANYTHING based on the school, is against the rules.

I think a number of states have enacted laws that require public universities to allow their students to use university trademarks in their NIL deals.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I doubt the validity of this Leach quote. There is no "um", "uh", or flem.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
That’s where the NCAA has to step in.
You try to skirt the rules and pay kids to declare the SA track so you can cheat the draft? Death penalty. Simple as that. Imagine if it was discovered that Jerry Jones paid a kid’s family $50 million to not sign with any NFL team that drafted him, so the Cowboys could sign him to a free agent deal after the draft? Goodwill woukd evisercate them as a franchise.

The same incentives that caused the NCAA to not enforce recruiting violations against blue bloods pre-NIL would still be there, so it wouldn't stop it. The only way for the NCAA to start enforcing rules is for teh blue bloods to decide they want them enforced. I think the equilibrium is what we ended up with before, where the NCAA turns a blind eye to blue bloods and does random enforcement against non-blue bloods that either get too aggressive or randomly have something become public. Not positive though.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I think a number of states have enacted laws that require public universities to allow their students to use university trademarks in their NIL deals.
Damn baby boomer politicians. Oh well, guess NIL just is what it is at this point. Probably a non-factor for most athletes, like Leach said.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
The same incentives that caused the NCAA to not enforce recruiting violations against blue bloods pre-NIL would still be there, so it wouldn't stop it. The only way for the NCAA to start enforcing rules is for teh blue bloods to decide they want them enforced. I think the equilibrium is what we ended up with before, where the NCAA turns a blind eye to blue bloods and does random enforcement against non-blue bloods that either get too aggressive or randomly have something become public. Not positive though.

I don’t disagree. We’re talking strictly in the theoretical sense obviously. It goes without saying that Leach’s plan has no chance in hell of ever happening, because, as you eloquently stated, it’s not what the blue bloods want. They are happy as all get out with the current set up because it only serves to widen the gap between themselves and everyone else.

But in the theoretical sense, if you like Leach’s idea and view that as a fair system, you have to treat any people trying to violate that system very harshly….just as a professional sports league would if someone was trying to cheat the draft. You have a legal avenue already to pay players as much as you want, including recruiting players already on rosters and outbidding other schools there. If a system such as Leach’s existed, which it never will, the NCAA would have to get the teeth back in the enforcement process for the ones they are supposed to protect (Student Athletes).

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
His proposals are that way on purpose.

He wants folks to find something of value and create "an acceptable compromise" that's close to what he actually wants.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Damn baby boomer politicians. Oh well, guess NIL just is what it is at this point. Probably a non-factor for most athletes, like Leach said.

I think I may be wrong. I can only find states that specifically prohibit it or force the student to get permission first. I could have sworn I read that at some point during either the initial days after the Supreme Court case or immediately before when states were passing laws that made the NCAA rules illegal.

MadDawg.sixpack

May 22, 2006
So does the "professional athlete" that was drafted even have to go to school? Or are they just a university employee? Sounds like the latter to me.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
So does the "professional athlete" that was drafted even have to go to school? Or are they just a university employee? Sounds like the latter to me.

Who cares? Very few that currently fit the description are actually doing their own academic classwork anyway.

I’d say the schools themselves make each sport its own degree program. Then they are officially students in school, but all of the “classwork” is related to the sport.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
A couple more tweaks they can add.

1. A student athlete can switch to being a "professional" during any off season, but will forfeit the $150,000. However, a switch in the other direction is not allowed.

2. A student athlete can transfer and still be eligible for the $150,000, but only if the school he's coming from signs off on it. This will address family situations, playing time, etc.

3. The draft will consist only of the Big 10 and SEC, which leave the NCAA and make their own organization, each with 24-32 schools. However, there will be a process for either conference to add schools who demonstrate the proper financial commitment to big time football. Nobody is ever locked out in theory.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don’t disagree. We’re talking strictly in the theoretical sense obviously. It goes without saying that Leach’s plan has no chance in hell of ever happening, because, as you eloquently stated, it’s not what the blue bloods want. They are happy as all get out with the current set up because it only serves to widen the gap between themselves and everyone else.

But in the theoretical sense, if you like Leach’s idea and view that as a fair system, you have to treat any people trying to violate that system very harshly….just as a professional sports league would if someone was trying to cheat the draft. You have a legal avenue already to pay players as much as you want, including recruiting players already on rosters and outbidding other schools there. If a system such as Leach’s existed, which it never will, the NCAA would have to get the teeth back in the enforcement process for the ones they are supposed to protect (Student Athletes).

They were happy with the prior set up. I don't think anybody knows whether they are going to like the current set up. If blue bloods start seeing their money diverted to players and leaving them short on paying debt obligations incurred when they were trying to compete on facilities, they might want to do something different. Or if you see a backlash from big alumni that decide they don't want to donate their money to relatively high paid professional athletes, you might see blue bloods want to do something different. But whatever that different thing is, it will be something that still leaves them with a big competitive advantage over non-blue bloods.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
They were happy with the prior set up. I don't think anybody knows whether they are going to like the current set up. If blue bloods start seeing their money diverted to players and leaving them short on paying debt obligations incurred when they were trying to compete on facilities, they might want to do something different. Or if you see a backlash from big alumni that decide they don't want to donate their money to relatively high paid professional athletes, you might see blue bloods want to do something different.
Oh, this is going to happen. I suspect within 1-2 years, these folks will get sick of that **** real quick and in a hurry. The first big bust, and we'll hear all about it. Just have to let that newness wear off.

But whatever that different thing is, it will be something that still leaves them with a big competitive advantage over non-blue bloods.
And that has been the case from the very beginning. That's also one big difference in professional sports (this thing that nobody wants?) - ALL players get to choose where they want to go, rather than being drafted (well, assuming the school actually wants them).

We do not want a draft in college sports. No one will like that.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
They were happy with the prior set up. I don't think anybody knows whether they are going to like the current set up. If blue bloods start seeing their money diverted to players and leaving them short on paying debt obligations incurred when they were trying to compete on facilities, they might want to do something different. Or if you see a backlash from big alumni that decide they don't want to donate their money to relatively high paid professional athletes, you might see blue bloods want to do something different. But whatever that different thing is, it will be something that still leaves them with a big competitive advantage over non-blue bloods.

It was the blue bloods that pushed the relaxation / elimination of the transfer restrictions.

It was the blue bloods who pushed the decriminalization of paying players and, ultimately, the NIL era.

And it was the blue bloods a few years ago who pushed for the P5 schools to have more latitude with self governance within the NCAA’s rules to set the table for both of the above.

Make no mistake….every reform that runs through college sports does not happen at all without the approval (if not outright encouragement) of the richest 5-10% of programs. Those programs would not have allowed this landscape shift if they did not think it would be more advantageous to them. NCAA is more or less the schools voting together. This isn’t Wichita State and UAB deciding on the system that works best for them and getting everybody on board. It’s quite the opposite. Just like in life in general, money is power in college sports. Those that have it make the rules, and everyone else is hust along for the ride.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Oh, this is going to happen. I suspect within 1-2 years, these folks will get sick of that **** real quick and in a hurry. The first big bust, and we'll hear all about it. Just have to let that newness wear off.

And that has been the case from the very beginning. That's also one big difference in professional sports (this thing that nobody wants?) - ALL players get to choose where they want to go, rather than being drafted (well, assuming the school actually wants them).

Many people wouldn’t like it, but it’s still a way better option than the current unrestricted free agency.

If a 5* talent from South Panola who grew up as a lifelong Mississippi State fan gets offered $500,000 per year to go to Alabama and $250,000 per year to go to MSU, and he “chooses” Alabama, is he going where he really wants to go? No, he’s going where he has to go…..for himself and his family.

It’s naive as all get out to think these guys are choosing anything beyond who the high bidder is, and any player with the opportunity who isn’t doing that is a flat out idiot.

Under neither scenario is the player actually making a choice of which school they truly like the best. But at least in the draft scenario, there is an element of fairness. And even if they don’t like the school that drafts them, it would only cost them 1 year of eligibility. That aspect will lead to schools drafting players they feel they can actually hang onto and working out deals on the front end, just like with current recruiting. It’s kind of like the MLB draft where it’s a two way street and you won’t see teams grabbing a guy that they know they can’t sign. MSU would thus be foolish to waste their first pick on a 5* QB from California, for instance.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008

If we're just talking about the top 100 or so players, while everyone else signs up for the $150,000 upon graduation, a draft sounds pretty awesome. Spread that elite talent around more evenly.

You could have some additional rules, like allowing players to sign up for "SEC only" or "Big 10 only" and make allowances for teams to purchase the draft rights of legacy players.

I see very little downside to the top 100 players dispersing to the 32 SEC and Big 10 teams at 3 apiece. And any player could always decide to just take the $150K if they don't like the idea of the draft.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login