Mismanagement

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
Could we have possibly put together a more inept staff? How many transfers logged significant minutes? Why did we even sign some of the ones that unfortunately did? Why did we turn away from the strengths and knowledge of our returning players. The only thing I can think is that Arnett didn't want to be in Leach's shadow and wanted to create a degree of separation.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
Could we have possibly put together a more inept staff? How many transfers logged significant minutes? Why did we even sign some of the ones that unfortunately did? Why did we turn away from the strengths and knowledge of our returning players. The only thing I can think is that Arnett didn't want to be in Leach's shadow and wanted to create a degree of separation.
I think you do create separation, over a couple seasons, you don't do a offensive 180 just for pride. If he had been smarter about offensive plan we may be sitting on 6 wins already and he is here next season.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
He got some seperation

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I think you do create separation, over a couple seasons, you don't do an offensive 180 just for pride. If he had been smarter about offensive plan we may be sitting on 6 wins already and he is here next season.
I’m not defending Arnett but I think the idea of running the Leach AR for Roger’s and then slowly moving away from the air raid is a lot more complicated than anyone thinks. “Modified AR” is nothing like Leachs. Its almost a crime to compare them.

Reactions: patdog

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Yeah I think Arnett woke up after leach died and getting the job and decided:

“you know what. 17 my future. Let’s get away from leach’s great offense that really didn’t produce great results last year and let’s do my own thing SO IM NOT IN LEACH’S SHADOW.”

That’s exactly what he was thinking.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Yeah I think Arnett woke up after leach died and getting the job and decided:

“you know what. 17 my future. Let’s get away from leach’s great offense that really didn’t produce great results last year and let’s do my own thing SO IM NOT IN LEACH’S SHADOW.”

That’s exactly what he was thinking.
I know the above post is dripping with sarcasm, but I swear it almost seems like that is what he was doing.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Arnett was left in a good position. SEC West was down. He had a bunch of starters back. Easy schedule but he laid an egg. I was listening to SEC Now and they were saying schools when talking about Miss State are pulling the plug too soon not giving a guy time to build the program. What they fail to understand is the program was already built. Wasn't like we fire a coach because the team sucked. Things were rock and rolling. Moorehead took a Ferrari and turned it into a Corvett. Arnett took a Corvett and turned it into a 1978 Datsun.

80s 1980s GIF

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
We will likely finish the season at 5-7. Yes, we could have put together a more inept staff.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I’m not defending Arnett but I think the idea of running the Leach AR for Roger’s and then slowly moving away from the air raid is a lot more complicated than anyone thinks. “Modified AR” is nothing like Leachs. Its almost a crime to compare them.
The offensive staff in place knew how to run the offense and would have been in the best position to run it and make incremental changes

Last edited:

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
It’s remarkable how stupid the entire fiasco was. completely predictable and you could see it coming from a mile away. Collectively, we had a very dim witted group making decisions.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The offensive stag in place knew how to run the offense and would have been in the best position to run it and make incremental changes
Right but you are committing to it long term at that point. They don’t know any other offense. They can’t put in a legitimate run game, RPOs, narrower splits, qb runs, etc which is what we need.

And you can’t just run them off to put in a new staff when you want to change. Again it’s just not as easy as people make it sound without just sticking with it long term with guys that have mostly just carried Leachs briefcase.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Right but you are committing to it long term at that point. They don’t know any other offense. They can’t put in a legitimate run game, RPOs, narrower splits, qb runs, etc which is what we need.

And you can’t just run them off to put in a new staff when you want to change. Again it’s just not as easy as people make it sound without just sticking with it long term with guys that have mostly just carried Leachs briefcase.
We needed narrow splits and RPOs ? No we didn’t. We needed to run the same offense until this senior class graduated. We didn’t need to trade Mason Miller for clown Will Friend either.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
We needed narrow splits and RPOs ? No we didn’t. We needed to run the same offense until this senior class graduated. We didn’t need to trade Mason Miller for clown Will Friend either.
That’s my point. Just running the leach AR until this graduated and then changing is a lot harder than yall act. The staff is unqualified to run anything else. Also what do you teach the new players? The current AR or this new offense? Don’t just run the old staff off after these guys graduate? It’s just not that simple. We would have had to commit to Leachs AR long term with career assistants.

And don’t get me wrong. I wouldn’t run an offense that needs a TE without a single one ont he team either

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
was listening to SEC Now and they were saying schools when talking about Miss State are pulling the plug too soon not giving a guy time to build the program. What they fail to understand is the program was already built. Wasn't like we fire a coach because the team sucked. Things were rock and rolling. Moorehead took a Ferrari and turned it into a Corvett. Arnett took a Corvett and turned it into a 1978 Datsun.

This sounds exactly like a text message exchange I had with a UGA friend of mine. Hell, I bet that show is where he got his talking points. It was all very condescending. Talking about how it's bad for the SEC for "teams like State" to do this. Other conferences don't fire coaches so soon, yada, yada, yada.

I asked why we should care what other teams are doing, let alone other conferences? This wasn't the start of a new regime, this was a coach given a chance during a tragedy. He unfortunately proved that we couldn't go forward with him in charge of the program.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Arnett was left in a good position. SEC West was down. He had a bunch of starters back. Easy schedule but he laid an egg. I was listening to SEC Now and they were saying schools when talking about Miss State are pulling the plug too soon not giving a guy time to build the program. What they fail to understand is the program was already built. Wasn't like we fire a coach because the team sucked. Things were rock and rolling. Moorehead took a Ferrari and turned it into a Corvett. Arnett took a Corvett and turned it into a 1978 Datsun.

80s 1980s GIF
They really just needed to watch a couple of Arnett's interviews. The guy was in so far over his head there was just no way. No matter what anybody else said we just 17ed up. ALSO let's see how many get in line to let him "build" their damn program.

Reactions: blitz2Win

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
That’s my point. Just running the leach AR until this graduated and then changing is a lot harder than yall act. The staff is unqualified to run anything else. Also what do you teach the new players? The current AR or this new offense? Don’t just run the old staff off after these guys graduate? It’s just not that simple. We would have had to commit to Leachs AR long term with career assistants.

And don’t get me wrong. I wouldn’t run an offense that needs a TE without a single one ont he team either
What are you talking about ? they should have named an interim and brought in the new HC for the rebuild after the season when 22 seniors leave. the players and the staff in place could run the offense in their sleep.

None of this made sense, you just wasted a promising season and set the program back a couple of years. For no reason.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
What are you talking about ? they should have named an interim and brought in the new HC for the rebuild after the season when 22 seniors leave. the players and the staff in place could run the offense in their sleep.

None of this made sense, you just wasted a promising season and set the program back a couple of years. For no reason.
That sounds simple. But not too many coaches want to hang around for a year with no promises. And you can’t recruit. I get it all conceptually.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
That sounds simple. But not too many coaches want to hang around for a year with no promises. And you can’t recruit. I get it all conceptually.
We can’t recruit now. THe coaches weren’t given the option to stick around. We had to get that all Mississippi staff in place to lock down the state.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
We can’t recruit now. THe coaches weren’t given the option to stick around. We had to get that all Mississippi staff in place to lock down the state.
Being skeptical of what some of yall think was an easy solution is not a defense of what this staff has done.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I could be wrong on this but I felt like Arnett hated being a head coach. Like he would much rather still be a DC.

We had to make the move. Can’t let the most important sport on your campus run itself into the ground while you wait on somebody to hopefully figure it out when there have been no signs of hope.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Being skeptical of what some of yall think was an easy solution is not a defense of what this staff has done.
That’s because it’s indefensible. There’s nothing complicated about keeping the staff in place and running the same offense while naming an interim. guaranteed that team would beat the living dog$&*@ out of this product we have seen on the field.

next year would have been perfect timing for the new coach to start his rebuild with 22 seniors leaving. you probably don’t have an exodus in the portal either if you were just honest with the players.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
That’s because it’s indefensible. There’s nothing complicated about keeping the staff in place and running the same offense while naming an interim. guaranteed that team would beat the living dog$&*@ out of this product we have seen on the field.

next year would have been perfect timing for the new coach to start his rebuild with 22 seniors leaving. you probably don’t have an exodus in the portal either if you were just honest with the players.
An interim coach for 12 months sounds like a different disaster but we can disagree.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
An interim coach for 12 months sounds like a different disaster but we can disagree.
How would it be a disaster to name an interim coach ? Certainly much less of a disaster than naming Arnett permanent head coach, firing the whole staff and letting a high school coach assemble an all Mississippi staff.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
How would it be a disaster to name an interim coach ? Certainly much less of a disaster than naming Arnett permanent head coach, firing the whole staff and letting a high school coach assemble an all Mississippi staff.
Yes. We know at this point naming me or you would have been better. So that’s not relevant.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Unlikely. The offensive staff learned/was learning AR under Leach. I think you'd be hard pressed to show that prior to MSU they were pure AR guys.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
You’re wasting your time with that guy. He ain’t very smart.

Reactions: 8dog

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Yes. We know at this point naming me or you would have been better. So that’s not relevant.
I mean that’s not true either.

we’ll likely finish 5-7 possibly 6-6. I get beating ole miss is a long shot but it’s the egg bowl in Starkville and much stranger things have happened.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login