Mississippi Braves...

Aug 22, 2012
Rick what is the ownership structure of Trustmark Park? I’ve read several places there is some private “ownership” involved in the creative financing of the stadium. Could you provide some insight?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Rick what is the ownership structure of Trustmark Park? I’ve read several places there is some private “ownership” involved in the creative financing of the stadium. Could you provide some insight?
It’s privately owned. Debt paid by stadium revenues with Pearl picking up any shortfall. Pearl has been paying the shortfall for all these years even with the Braves as tenant. They’ll be paying virtually all the debt going forward. This was always a bad deal for Pearl & it’s about to get worse.

AnchorState

Jan 21, 2020
I’ve heard multiple times from people in the Pearl city leadership (who weren’t around when this deal was signed) that the stadium, outlet mall and all of the development in that complex was a horrible boondoggle - and has saddled the city with enormous debt for decades to come. The revenue projections (that were sold as the way to cover the debt service) were completely unrealistic. Really sad.

As for the column… thanks Rick. Great look back. I’d love to compare the Mets best farm talent from their time at Smith Wills to this Braves tenure. Both are impressive. I don’t know what the secret ingredients are, but these Jackson-area teams had a great track record for sending World Series-level talent to the big leagues. Must be the humidity and the catfish.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I’ve heard multiple times from people in the Pearl city leadership (who weren’t around when this deal was signed) that the stadium, outlet mall and all of the development in that complex was a horrible boondoggle - and has saddled the city with enormous debt for decades to come. The revenue projections (that were sold as the way to cover the debt service) were completely unrealistic. Really sad.

As for the column… thanks Rick. Great look back. I’d love to compare the Mets best farm talent from their time at Smith Wills to this Braves tenure. Both are impressive. I don’t know what the secret ingredients are, but these Jackson-area teams had a great track record for sending World Series-level talent to the big leagues. Must be the humidity and the catfish.
Wrong, we’ve already proved governments don’t waste money

Reactions: Ranchdawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login