Mississippi State and I need Marriage Counseling

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
I entered into this relationship very young. I never really felt like I had a choice because this was effectively an arranged marriage. Ties go back to just after WWII.

I have gotten to the point where I ask myself why I keep trying to make it work. I give and I give to the relationship, but I get very little in return. Each good memory is followed by years of misery. I get my expectations built up, only to have the rug pulled out from under me. Now, my kids are getting caught up in the mental anguish of the relationship, and I can't help but wonder what kind of example I am setting. They deserve to make their own choices. They deserve better.

There are plenty of other fish in the sea, as they say. Heck, at my age, I can just play the field for the rest of my days without having to commit to anyone. It would definitely be much cheaper. Maybe I would get to enjoy Thanksgiving again without all the drama.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It would definitely be much cheaper
I'm not sure who told you an ex wife w/ kids would be cheaper but that's not close to true hombre', but very possibly worth it for your mental health and the long term good for the kids too. "Playing the field" would just be in addition to the cost of the ex and kids and that playing field is littered w/ rejected (for whatever reason) ex-wives who may just be crazier than the one you seek to part ways with.

Now past that, if you haven't been already and decide to proceed w/ severing the head, (I mean ties) document EVERY issue you have w/ the "relationship" now or in the past and hire the most relentless attorney you can no matter what school they graduated from. Good Luck!

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I'm definitely telling my kid to get her MBA at Alabama and latch on.

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
I chose to love MSU. I have an undergrad degree from Millsaps. I spent two of the finest years of my life at grad school. at State. I feel in love with baseball there. I can’t complain about a bad marriage to the athletic teams—for better or for worse, richer or poorer, in sickness and in health….

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The problem is that you consider it a marriage. It used to be for me as well, but I had to redefine the nature of our association, as Doc said. That was made especially easy after July 2021.

But I will say, we do tend to do a lot of dubmass stuff to ourselves to make the trek harder. I’ll never totally let go, but I’m not in super fan mode anymore. It’s still amateur sports for now, so I’ll still follow.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
That's why for my 60th Birthday I gave myself a front runner year. All my teams won championships that year. Then I went back to State, Mets, and Jets.

I will say at 63 I still remember 1969, 1973, 1986, 1996, 2000, 2014, and 2021 and don't really remember my championship teams. Pulling for the rarely successful teams really gives you some great memories when they are.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
That's why for my 60th Birthday I gave myself a front runner year. All my teams won championships that year. Then I went back to State, Mets, and Jets.

I will say at 63 I still remember 1969, 1973, 1986, 1996, 2000, 2014, and 2021 and don't really remember my championship teams. Pulling for the rarely successful teams really gives you some great memories when they are.
So you're saying it's ok to stay married to MSU (or insert actual wife's name here), just be sure to select the right concubines to go along with it.

Reactions: Dawgg

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
I’ve told my oldest to:
Go where you can play right away - JUCO and up
Continue to develop
Stay there and finish the job or
Cash in and transfer

Reality is, once you step on a campus, they are trying to replace you

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
If you try hard, there's so many great memories to hold on to. But you have to try.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I entered into this relationship very young. I never really felt like I had a choice because this was effectively an arranged marriage. Ties go back to just after WWII.

I have gotten to the point where I ask myself why I keep trying to make it work. I give and I give to the relationship, but I get very little in return. Each good memory is followed by years of misery. I get my expectations built up, only to have the rug pulled out from under me. Now, my kids are getting caught up in the mental anguish of the relationship, and I can't help but wonder what kind of example I am setting. They deserve to make their own choices. They deserve better.

There are plenty of other fish in the sea, as they say. Heck, at my age, I can just play the field for the rest of my days without having to commit to anyone. It would definitely be much cheaper. Maybe I would get to enjoy Thanksgiving again without all the drama.
My best wishes to you and your spouse in this trying time. Hopefully, your spouse in particular sees the toxic cycle they have created and has allowed to manifest. Maybe they will start to realize the long lasting harm of continued negative actions towards you that are overtaking the joyful times, and decide to change. I’m reminded of the quote below, which I’ll share with you:

IMG_5959.jpeg

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
You can't live and die by the success of our sports teams. I love it when we win, but I allowed myself about 30 seconds of unhappiness after the game Tuesday and then put it out of my head. No use in dwelling on it, and we expect our players to move on and get ready for the next one.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Marrying someone who could care less about college sports and then having 4 daughters who don’t care at all for sports that aren’t soccer or gymnastics is probably the best thing that could have happened to me as far as my state fandom goes. My fandom was forced to take a distant back seat

Reactions: Perd Hapley

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Do as some people do……pull for whoever is #1 at the time.

Fang1

Oct 1, 2022
Marrying someone who could care less about college sports and then having 4 daughters who don’t care at all for sports that aren’t soccer or gymnastics is probably the best thing that could have happened to me as far as my state fandom goes. My fandom was forced to take a distant back seat
Good Lord. I’ve got two girls and I thought I lived in an estrogen castle……

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012

State, Reds, and Raiders fan. I feel your pain. My youth was great, but not much in the last 30-35 years. As you said, when they finally do something the memories are better. Just wish it would happen a little more often.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
My wife ain't never given me a natty and I've stuck with her 23 years. Ill give MSU a pass.

Went to counseling once and the psychologist determined I was an *******. She literally blurted out "you're an a ss hole". I didn't disagree. At least now my wife knows I have an official diagnosis, it's out of my hands.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
My wife ain't never given me a natty and I've stuck with her 23 years. Ill give MSU a pass.

What if neighboring wives throw parties every fall saturday and a good time was had by those at said parties. However at your house your wife asked you to watch Mad About You Re-runs, from an aluminum bench. Then your C student kids said, "hey dad, I deserve more allowance. This free housing and food business ain't cutting it no more."

This is written tongue in cheek.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login