Mississippi State at The W

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
From Nora Miller:
The proposed action to merge and rename the university “The W at Mississippi State University” was unexpected, but we are fully committed to ensuring our university’s health and sustainability and it’s 140-year legacy in the state of Mississippi.

its*

I'm hoping that's WCBI's doing and not the goddam president of a university.

Also, I think The W at Mississippi State University is about as good as it's^ going to get name wise. Not sure about MSMS moving to Starkville though. I knew some folks that went there when I was in high school, but I don't know anything about its^ current state and/or a need to change locations.

^See how easy that was, Nora?

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

I like it.
george bush dat ass GIF

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
From Nora Miller:
The proposed action to merge and rename the university “The W at Mississippi State University” was unexpected, but we are fully committed to ensuring our university’s health and sustainability and it’s 140-year legacy in the state of Mississippi.

its*

Also, I think The W at Mississippi State University is about as good as it's^ going to get name wise. Not sure about MSMS moving to Starkville though. I knew some folks that went there when I was in high school, but I don't know anything about its^ current state and/or a need to change locations.

This may explain why IT’S having problems.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
From Nora Miller:

its*

Had a child graduate from MSMS in 2021. Excellent school with excellent faculty, staff and students. Horrible facilities and location.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Eliminate all curriculums other than the health related (nursing, speech pathology, etc.) and implement some skilled trades programs with associate degrees.
Love the idea. But that would be pretty expensive I imagine. And not sure how feasible it would be on that campus. Would have to demo a lot of buildings to add large welding shops, auto repair, etc. A lot of trade school buildings have are more industrial and might not fit for the campus. But I'm all for exploring the idea.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Interesting that Keenum doesn't seem too keen on the idea.

“We were informed just this morning, and our leadership team has many questions and concerns that must be explored,” Keenum said. “Such an action of this nature would require a tremendous amount of study and review regarding operational logistics, infrastructure, financial sustainability, academic viability, and accreditation — just to name a few.

“We appreciate the institutional confidence in MSU that this proposal implies, but I emphatically reiterate that MSU did not seek and has not requested this action from legislative leaders,” he continued. “We have the utmost respect for MUW’s unique legacy, as well as the important role it continues to play in higher education in our state.”

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Wasn’t MSMS already rumored to be moved to MSU long before this particular legislation?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I honestly can't see this being good for MSU. That campus has a lot of problems. If they are giving it to MSU it better come with a HUGE increase in funding from the state.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Instead of having trades they need to expand the health related school. Include therapy and other disciplines here instead of Meridian. There's already a long range plan to add therapy in Meridian. It will be hard to attract qualified professors to Meridian but you could dang sure attract them to the Golden Triangle Area.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
That's what Juco is for
Exactly plus EMCC already has a campus and trades degrees available only 10 minutes down the highway from the W. It’s a key part of making the GTR attractive for any industries looking to move there.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Exactly plus EMCC already has a campus and trades degrees available only 10 minutes down the highway from the W. It’s a key part of making the GTR attractive for any industries looking to move there.
Its!...or not!!

That is what this thread is about, right?**

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Its!...or not!!

That is what this thread is about, right?**
It’s = “it is”

Its = possessive form of it (like his, hers, theirs, or ours)

My English ACT score was so good, I hear ACT headquarters privately calls it “The Dawgg Standard”.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Since my wife is a W alum, I get to hear all about this mess.

All these broads are pissed because they " ar gunna lewz thair identitty". They'd rather the school go into ruin than change their colors to maroon and white. Oh well...

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
The W.......it HAS NOT BEEN A WOMEN"s SCHOOL IN 41 years!!!! Let it go!

Mississippi State University - Columbus.
"MSUC?"*********

ETA: This probably what it will be since we &uck at branding.*********

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Had a child graduate from MSMS in 2021. Excellent school with excellent faculty, staff and students. Horrible facilities and location.
If MSMS already ahs ****** facilities, maybe it could be moved to starkville and operate in conjunction with a University high school. Would fix the problem of not having a good local school to recruit faculty.

It's still incredible to me how you could have a bad public high school in a university town. Would love for somebody to explain to me how they managed to 17 that up.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It’s = “it is”

Its = possessive form of it (like his, hers, theirs, or ours)

My English ACT score was so good, I hear ACT headquarters privately calls it “The Dawgg Standard”.
Yeah, I was just joking since I saw one form used in a later post.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
If MSMS already ahs ****** facilities, maybe it could be moved to starkville and operate in conjunction with a University high school. Would fix the problem of not having a good local school to recruit faculty.

It's still incredible to me how you could have a bad public high school in a university town. Would love for somebody to explain to me how they managed to 17 that up.
SHS is pretty good for the advanced student. Other child graduated from there. Definitely has its issues, but for a kid who wants to prosper, it competes with Tupelo/Oxford all day.

Edited to add: Your public high school is going to be as good or as bad as the families who go there. Period. End of story.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
SHS is pretty good for the advanced student. Other child graduated from there. Definitely has its issues, but for a kid who wants to prosper, it competes with Tupelo/Oxford all day.

Edited to add: Your public high school is going to be as good or as bad as the families who go there. Period. End of story.
Yep to all that.

Reactions: Villagedawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Interesting that Keenum doesn't seem too keen on the idea.

“We were informed just this morning, and our leadership team has many questions and concerns that must be explored,” Keenum said. “Such an action of this nature would require a tremendous amount of study and review regarding operational logistics, infrastructure, financial sustainability, academic viability, and accreditation — just to name a few.

“We appreciate the institutional confidence in MSU that this proposal implies, but I emphatically reiterate that MSU did not seek and has not requested this action from legislative leaders,” he continued. “We have the utmost respect for MUW’s unique legacy, as well as the important role it continues to play in higher education in our state.”
I wouldn't read too much into that. He's likely playing politics and getting out in front of perception that he or MSU was out undercutting another state institution and also making sure MSU doesn't get saddled with a big liabilitiy without some commitment from the State that

The last paragraph is definitely true, but that’s why it’s so important to keep the vast majority of the good families in it. Maybe Starkville has done this but my impression from talking to people is that they have not and it doesn’t seem like it’s demographics would result in a school where it’s really hard to do that.

Reactions: Dawgg

DWarren

Oct 17, 2023
Instead of having trades they need to expand the health related school. Include therapy and other disciplines here instead of Meridian. There's already a long range plan to add therapy in Meridian. It will be hard to attract qualified professors to Meridian but you could dang sure attract them to the Golden Triangle Area.
Is that sarcasm? Or maybe I'm misinterpreting the point your making.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login