Mississippi State back in NCAA Tournament, plays First Four in Dayton against Pitt

HD6

Apr 8, 2003
For the first time in five years, Mississippi State can put on its dancing shoes as part of the NCAA Tournament. State will head to Dayton, Ohio to play in the First Four round of games, taking on Pitt for a chance to be the #11 seed in the Midwest Regional. The winner of that game will play the #6 seed Iowa State in Greensboro, North Carolina.

Mississippi State is DANCING!
🕺
#MarchMadness @HailStateMBK pic.twitter.com/TMHTRmoQ62

— NCAA March Madness (@MarchMadnessMBB) March 12, 2023

Mississippi State finished the 2023 season with a record of 21-11, with wins over fellow tournament teams Marquette, Texas A&M, Missouri, TCU, Arkansas, and Texas A&M Corpus Christi. Under first year coach Chris Jans, the Bulldogs made a seven game improvement from a season ago, and have earned the school’s first trip to March Madness since the 2019 season, where in Ben Howland’s fifth year State was eliminated in the first round.

SEE YOU IN DAYTON! #HailState
🐶
pic.twitter.com/etgqgvBJbn

— Mississippi State Men's Basketball (@HailStateMBK) March 12, 2023

Mississippi State will play on March 14, with tipoff at either 5:40 PM or 8 PM CST, televised on TruTV.

The post Mississippi State back in NCAA Tournament, plays First Four in Dayton against Pitt appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.

More...

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I think we actually play Wednesday night since the winner of our game plays Iowa St on Friday. I could be wrong though.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
For the first time in five years, Mississippi State can put on its dancing shoes as part of the NCAA Tournament. State will head to Dayton, Ohio to play in the First Four round of games, taking on Pitt for a chance to be the #11 seed in the Midwest Regional. The winner of that game will play the #6 seed Iowa State in Greensboro, North Carolina.

Mississippi State finished the 2023 season with a record of 21-11, with wins over fellow tournament teams Marquette, Texas A&M, Missouri, TCU, Arkansas, and Texas A&M Corpus Christi. Under first year coach Chris Jans, the Bulldogs made a seven game improvement from a season ago, and have earned the school’s first trip to March Madness since the 2019 season, where in Ben Howland’s fifth year State was eliminated in the first round.

Mississippi State will play on March 14, with tipoff at either 5:40 PM or 8 PM CST, televised on TruTV.

The post Mississippi State back in NCAA Tournament, plays First Four in Dayton against Pitt appeared first on SuperTalk Mississippi.

More...
The quick turnaround for the play in will keep Jans from interviewing for the Wichita State job.

• Haha
Reactions: HD6 and hatfieldms

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I really don’t understand why there is a play in game between 2 potential 11 seeds. I realize there is little chance an 11 seed is going very far, but why should a worse seed get to play less games.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I really don’t understand why there is a play in game between 2 potential 11 seeds. I realize there is little chance an 11 seed is going very far, but why should a worse seed get to play less games.

UCLA and VCU made a Final Four from that game.

11 seeds are typically solid teams.

All the teams behind the at large teams playing in the First Four are automatic qualifiers. I believe the seeding is based on the teams playing as 11 seeds being considered better than the 12 seed auto qualifiers behind them.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login