Mississippi State Football: Today's The Athletic Recruiting Mailbag Question

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It looks like 2024 will be a banner year for recruiting in Mississippi, but Zach Arnett has hardly made a dent with the top recruits. Is this a case of a (fairly) new staff taking a while to build momentum? Or is this just life with superpowers for neighbors? — Travis S.

Both. The state of Mississippi currently has 14 blue-chip recruits in the Class of 2024. Two are committed to Arkansas. Ole Miss, Florida and Tennessee have landed one each. The other nine are still uncommitted, meaning there’s still time for the Bulldogs to make some headway.

Mississippi State has five commitments in its 2024 class but just one blue-chipper and one in-state product. Competing against Lane Kiffin for top in-state talent is never easy, and then you also have to consider that the rest of the SEC can helicopter into Mississippi to steal talent, too. Arkansas already has two top-350 prospects from Mississippi. Alabama doesn’t have any yet, but the Crimson Tide will have a seat at the table with almost any recruit in the country given Nick Saban’s track record. It’s also possible that recruits are in wait-and-see mode with Arnett. The late Mike Leach was an offensive guru with his ever-popular Air Raid offense. Arnett is a former defensive coach who can make a statement on the recruiting trail if he can keep quarterback Will Rogers at his current level of production. This isn’t uncommon for new head coaches, so I’m not ready to sound the alarm for the Bulldogs yet. But eventually Arnett will be evaluated, in part based on how he fares with in-state prospects.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
LOL. Not just this.

The Athletic's sports coverage is good but since there's no Mississippi State beat-- all we get are the crumbs.
Ok, that makes sense. This sounds like it was written by ChatGPT or Google Bard. In fact, I asked Google Bard the same question and here was its response:

It is likely a combination of both factors. Zach Arnett is a new head coach, and it takes time to build relationships with recruits and their families. He is also competing against some of the top programs in the country, including Alabama, Auburn, and LSU. However, Arnett has a strong track record of recruiting, and he has already landed a few commitments from top recruits. It is still early in the recruiting process, and Arnett has plenty of time to make a dent with the top recruits in Mississippi.

Here are some of the factors that may be contributing to Arnett's slow start in recruiting:

• He is a new head coach. It takes time to build relationships with recruits and their families.
  • He is competing against some of the top programs in the country. Alabama, Auburn, and LSU are all perennial powerhouses, and they have a lot of resources to throw at recruiting.
  • Mississippi State has not been very successful in recent years. The Bulldogs have not won a bowl game since 2018, and they have not finished ranked in the top 25 since 2014.
Despite these challenges, Arnett has a strong track record of recruiting. He was the defensive coordinator at Penn State from 2019 to 2021, and he helped the Nittany Lions sign a top-25 recruiting class in each of those years. He also has experience recruiting in Mississippi, as he was the defensive coordinator at Ole Miss from 2016 to 2018.

It is still early in the recruiting process, and Arnett has plenty of time to make a dent with the top recruits in Mississippi. He has already landed a few commitments from top recruits, including Kamarion Franklin, a four-star defensive end from Lake Cormorant, Mississippi. Franklin is the top-ranked player in Mississippi for the 2024 class.

Arnett has a lot of work to do, but he has the talent and experience to be successful in recruiting. He just needs to give it time.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Yep.

The main reason I posted this is that guy (whoever the heck is - can't recall his name) who's been seemingly concerned about 2024 recruiting and my eyes are rolling when he posts because it's like-- dude, it's Mississippi State with a new football coach. And Arnett is the tenth head football coach during my lifetime.

We know what happens.

Simpsons Apocalypse GIF

Reactions: Dawgg

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
Ok, that makes sense. This sounds like it was written by ChatGPT or Google Bard. In fact, I asked Google Bard the same question and here was its response:

It is likely a combination of both factors. Zach Arnett is a new head coach, and it takes time to build relationships with recruits and their families. He is also competing against some of the top programs in the country, including Alabama, Auburn, and LSU. However, Arnett has a strong track record of recruiting, and he has already landed a few commitments from top recruits. It is still early in the recruiting process, and Arnett has plenty of time to make a dent with the top recruits in Mississippi.

Here are some of the factors that may be contributing to Arnett's slow start in recruiting:

• He is a new head coach. It takes time to build relationships with recruits and their families.
  • He is competing against some of the top programs in the country. Alabama, Auburn, and LSU are all perennial powerhouses, and they have a lot of resources to throw at recruiting.
  • Mississippi State has not been very successful in recent years. The Bulldogs have not won a bowl game since 2018, and they have not finished ranked in the top 25 since 2014.
Despite these challenges, Arnett has a strong track record of recruiting. He was the defensive coordinator at Penn State from 2019 to 2021, and he helped the Nittany Lions sign a top-25 recruiting class in each of those years. He also has experience recruiting in Mississippi, as he was the defensive coordinator at Ole Miss from 2016 to 2018.

It is still early in the recruiting process, and Arnett has plenty of time to make a dent with the top recruits in Mississippi. He has already landed a few commitments from top recruits, including Kamarion Franklin, a four-star defensive end from Lake Cormorant, Mississippi. Franklin is the top-ranked player in Mississippi for the 2024 class.

Arnett has a lot of work to do, but he has the talent and experience to be successful in recruiting. He just needs to give it time.
The part in red is why I am hesitant to jump completely on the AI train right now. I know most language AI doesn't search for info but this part isn't close to right.

But I did put the question to ChatGPT and this is what it spit out. At least it started with a disclaimer.

As an AI language model, I don't have real-time information or access to current events beyond my last training update in September 2021. Therefore, I cannot provide specific details about recruiting in Mississippi in 2024 or any specific individual's efforts, such as Zach Arnett.

However, I can offer some general insights that may help address your question. Building momentum in recruiting can take time, especially for a new staff or program. It often requires establishing relationships with high school coaches, identifying and evaluating top recruits, and developing a compelling vision for the program's future.

Additionally, the presence of neighboring "superpowers" can have an impact on recruiting efforts. When neighboring programs have historically strong football teams or enjoy high-profile success, they may attract top recruits and receive more attention from media and fans. This can make it challenging for other programs, including those in Mississippi, to compete for the same recruits.

However, it's important to note that recruiting is a complex process, influenced by various factors such as coaching staff reputation, program history, facilities, academic opportunities, location, and personal preferences of recruits. While neighboring programs can present challenges, it doesn't necessarily mean that a new staff in Mississippi will be unable to attract top recruits.

Ultimately, it's essential to consider the specific circumstances, coaching strategies, and the long-term vision of the program in order to assess the impact of a new staff's recruiting efforts.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

He obviously has Arnett confused with someone else.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login