Missouri just got hosed by the good Ol" SEC officials

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The ball went over the punters head. He was tackled, but tried to punt the ball as he was being tackled so they called it roughing the punter, and gave the ball back to Kentucky. The game announcers are loving it, and telling it how it was brave and Noble to get the punt away but he wasn't rough. He was being tackled while he was punting. Isn't kicking the ball illegal? Doesn't the ball been snapped over his head and him going back to get it make him a runner at that point?

Even if the player was still a punter, being tackled at the same time that you try to kick is not illegal or roughing the punter.

The deep throating of Will Levis is getting old too.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That was bad. I'm still mad we lost to Kentucky and unable to really score on them other than one td. Mizzou hasn't had issues.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

patdog

May 28, 2007
Didn’t think about it at the time, but I think you’re right. When the snap hits the ground, he’s no longer protected. Watching this game off & on I’m not sure either teams deserves to win. Pretty ugly loss we took in Lexington.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
That was bad. I'm still mad we lost to Kentucky and unable to really score on them other than one td. Mizzou hasn't had issues.
If you are still calling him a punter, you can't run into him but that's all the call should've been. It should not have been roughing because the kicker waited till he started getting tackled before he kicked the ball.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
What about that 4th down play in, I think the 3rd quarter, where it looked like KY lost a yard if anything, and the official Stoops had been chewing came in and marked it a 1st down without even measuring. What the hell was that all about? They scored a TD a few plays later. No way he got that 1st down.

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
The ball went over the punters head. He was tackled, but tried to punt the ball as he was being tackled so they called it roughing the punter, and gave the ball back to Kentucky. The game announcers are loving it, and telling it how it was brave and Noble to get the punt away but he wasn't rough. He was being tackled while he was punting. Isn't kicking the ball illegal? Doesn't the ball been snapped over his head and him going back to get it make him a runner at that point?

Even if the player was still a punter, being tackled at the same time that you try to kick is not illegal or roughing the punter.

The deep throating of Will Levis is getting old too.
Hard as is to believe it was the correct call. The fact it went over his head doesn’t automatically make him a runner and not a punter. He punted inside the tackle box and got it away without the defender touching the ball. Roughing correct call.

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
Hard as is to believe it was the correct call. The fact it went over his head doesn’t automatically make him a runner and not a punter. He punted inside the tackle box and got it away without the defender touching the ball. Roughing correct call.
Is being in the tackle box what saved the punter? I’ve been wondering why not let your punter ruin it until he’s about to creamed behind the LOS, then shank it out of bounds and draw a penalty.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Was it a high snap and the punter had to jump up to get it or did it go over his head and hit the ground? Two vastly different scenarios.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I'm wondering if you are right here. Tackling a punter whose still in possession of the football shouldn't be a penalty unless I'm mistaken. That said, not surprised at the call considering KY has a much better chance at SEC Bowl money at this point than MO.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I'm wondering if you are right here. Tackling a punter whose still in possession of the football shouldn't be a penalty unless I'm mistaken. That said, not surprised at the call considering KY has a much better chance at SEC Bowl money at this point than MO.
I didn’t watch the game but just got to see the replay this morning. If you slow it down you can see it clearly the defenders right arm was on the punter before he punted. That was clearly a botched call. At some point the media has to acknowledge these poor calls. Between this missed call and the poor spot (1.5 yard short) there’s clearly a biased by the crew. The question should be is the biased being Ed directed from Birmingham.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Everyone I’ve seen talk about it has said it was the correct call. The punter picked up the ball and was still in the tackle box and immediately tried to punt it, which makes him a punter and not a runner so he still has protection. If he had run outside the tackle box then he would be fair game.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Everyone I’ve seen talk about it has said it was the correct call. The punter picked up the ball and was still in the tackle box and immediately tried to punt it, which makes him a punter and not a runner so he still has protection. If he had run outside the tackle box then he would be fair game.
After reviewing the play, I see where you're coming from because the punt was not tipped or blocked. Great job making the quick punt by the punter and I hope he's okay. I think the MO dude had no idea that punter was gonna get that off which is why I can't blame him too much as he had no time to adjust his path to go for the ball instead of the punter.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login