MLB Draft

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Ok fellas, who are we watching for today that could return? Which names do we not want to see selected?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm honestly hopeful that Cade Smith has to come back (not that I'm actively wishing bad draft vibes on him). I think with a new pitching coach he could make a jump and while money not be as good next year, might be drafted a good bit higher. And I'm sure we'd hook him up with some minimal NIL. This would remove one big need out of the portal.

Nixon is another.

I think Clark and Larry probably need to sign, don't know that the numbers get much better for either. But I'd like to have them back.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
I agree, that selfishly getting Cade and Kellum back would be nice. Nixon too 100%..Kellum might even consider it perhaps, to be able to play his last year with his brother/incoming freshman, KK Clark.

As far as the HS recruits, we obviously lost and knew we would, Houck, to the Mets already(damn Mets love drafting our recruits dont they?). I believe Cupp already said he will be on campus, so that's a HUGE win. Nolan Stevens I think is already in route to campus and so that leaves Mikhai Grant and Aidan Smith we need to keep as the top targets.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I'm honestly hopeful that Cade Smith has to come back (not that I'm actively wishing bad draft vibes on him). I think with a new pitching coach he could make a jump and while money not be as good next year, might be drafted a good bit higher. And I'm sure we'd hook him up with some minimal NIL. This would remove one big need out of the portal.

Nixon is another.

I think Clark and Larry probably need to sign, don't know that the numbers get much better for either. But I'd like to have them back.

I don’t see Cade’s stock being much different next year….new pitching coach or not. Even this year, he’ll likely only get drafted in Top 6-8 rounds if he’s willing to take below slot (but still above what he’d get next year). And he still might not get taken that high.

Kellum Clark is already 22, so that’s going to hurt him a little bit and probably bring in some low-ball proposals from teams on slot value. And he was basically the same player as he was last year in many ways….and he didn’t get drafted at all last year when he was already eligible….so there’s that.

Honestly, don’t know that either one is going to fetch huge draft capital unless they are just ready to move on and take a low bonus. If we only lose Ledbetter and a signee or two, it’d be pretty nice.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yep probably so. 4th round.

Cade Smith to the Yankees, 6th round. Probably gone too.
Hope our existing pitchers are ready to step up. I don't see us landing Luke Holman.

We've got the numbers, but are any of them ready to play? Can they make a jump a year older and under a new pitching coach?

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Hope our existing pitchers are ready to step up. I don't see us landing Luke Holman.

We've got the numbers, but are any of them ready to play? Can they make a jump a year older and under a new pitching coach?
That's exactly what I was thinking. We have several options but are any truly SEC weekend-caliber starters? I am worried none are at this point.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Ole Miss Signee and MS POY Cooper Pratt drafted in sixth round. His folks are pretty well off so I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes to Oxford

Anon1683496745

May 7, 2023
Very proud and happy for Cade, just me and my thoughts I hope he signs and gets "coached up". Too many question marks about our team next year. It's his goal and dream to pitch for Msu and get drafted. He is very competitive and he will work hard to get the show. He had some bad luck with an injury his freshmen year and this past year he had upper respiratory problems to start season.

Reactions: patdog

basedawg

Aug 22, 2012
Very proud and happy for Cade, just me and my thoughts I hope he signs and gets "coached up". Too many question marks about our team next year. It's his goal and dream to pitch for Msu and get drafted. He is very competitive and he will work hard to get the show. He had some bad luck with an injury his freshmen year and this past year he had upper respiratory problems to start season.
Btw, I am basedawg. Have no idea why it didn't show when I posted.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
I think I’m general most guys drafted in the top 10 rounds sign
Yea, I think I heard SR give the metric that out of the entire Top 10 rounds of draft picks from last year, only 3 players didn't sign. If a team doesn't sign a Top 10 round pick they get hit with a financial penalty so normally if a guy goes in the Top 10 rounds it means he has already agreed in principle to a number before he gets picked. Otherwise, a team will move on and pick someone else.

Dawghouse

Sep 14, 2011
Yea, I think I heard SR give the metric that out of the entire Top 10 rounds of draft picks from last year, only 3 players didn't sign. If a team doesn't sign a Top 10 round pick they get hit with a financial penalty so normally if a guy goes in the Top 10 rounds it means he has already agreed in principle to a number before he gets picked. Otherwise, a team will move on and pick someone else.

All 3 were college players so every high schooler in 10 rounds signed.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
1st rounders are no doubters gone. Upper classmen obviously gone with any offer. Others? trending that if you are not in the first 2 rounds they are starting to stay

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

If Parker makes the existing staff competitive then just hire him as the HC.

Moondawgg

Sep 30, 2022
1st rounders are no doubters gone. Upper classmen obviously gone with any offer. Others? trending that if you are not in the first 2 rounds they are starting to stay
Gonna need some proof. I don’t think that is accurate

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
Didnt ZERO drafted in the first 10 rounds go to school last year? Or nearly zero?

Eta: corrected my post

Last edited:
Reactions: onewoof

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Clark drafted in 20th round to Mets

Unless something crazy happens, he should be back. Slot values in that round are basically nothing. Easy NIL fix there.

So we lose Ledbetter and Cade, but return Larry, Clark, Mershon, Hines, Highfill, Jordan, and Chance. Lineup should be extremely solid. Add some signees to that mix, too.

Once again, it’s all going to come down to the pitching….which would have been the case even with Cade returning.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Unless something crazy happens, he should be back. Slot values in that round are basically nothing. Easy NIL fix there.

So we lose Ledbetter and Cade, but return Larry, Clark, Mershon, Hines, Highfill, Jordan, and Chance. Lineup should be extremely solid. Add some signees to that mix, too.

Once again, it’s all going to come down to the pitching….which would have been the case even with Cade returning.
I think everyone expects Clark to sign which makes getting Montgomery an even bigger priority.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I think everyone expects Clark to sign which makes getting Montgomery an even bigger priority.

Thats kind of odd, but oh well. He must just be ready to move on, or we’ve not really made it a priority to keep him around.

In either case, I don’t think he has much of an MLB future. Still could have been a better version of what Hancock was this past year if he decided to return though…..worst case.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login