MLB lockout

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Looking more and more like MLB will miss at least some regular season games. Today is the deadline for an agreement to prevent that. https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...egotiations-ahead-of-leagues-feb-28-deadline/

If there is a work stoppage, I'd have to think there will be an up-tick in interest in college baseball. We really picked a great time to be defending champions.

I doubt they get a deal done today, but I would not be shocked to see MLB push their deadline back 48 hours or something like that.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I doubt they get a deal done today, but I would not be shocked to see MLB push their deadline back 48 hours or something like that.

Hope you're right - a work stoppage would be devastating for MLB. I swear it's like they do everything they can to become as relevant as boxing and horse racing.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Hope you're right - a work stoppage would be devastating for MLB. I swear it's like they do everything they can to become as relevant as boxing and horse racing.

The issue I've read is that there's a civil war among ownership. There's a group of small market owners who have been at war with the big spenders....Yankees, Dodgers, Padres, etc. The straw that broke the camel's back is when MLB approved Steve Cohen's purchase of the Mets. Small market owners tried to block that but didn't have the votes, and now that guy is spending like a drunken sailor, too. So, half of ownership wants a higher CBT and lower penalties for exceeding it, and half wants a lower CBT and harsher penalties for exceeding it. The players are collateral damage at this point.

To say the players and owners aren't in alignment right now is misleading. It's more like the players and big market owners aren't in alignment with small market owners.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Or longer than just this year. That would free up lots of room for worthy shows instead of whining *** mega rich owners and athletes

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Or longer than just this year. That would free up lots of room for worthy shows instead of whining *** mega rich owners and athletes

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Talk yesterday was very optimistic. Seems like the two sides are getting close.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
My first thought with the lockout was "oh, I wonder if ESPN would bump up some games to fit previously scheduled MLB timeslots" How great would regional play be with everything on linear television

NWADawg

May 4, 2016

I don't want MLB to completely go away. I don't, and probably won't, watch MLB but don't want the quality of college ball to suffer. Lack of pro avenue = lack of talent in college.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It better get figured out quick.

That 94-95 strike was a real kick in the dinger for MLB. Cal Ripken Jr. saved the season and the league itself in a way... But I can't see how it could handle that kind of shutdown these days. There aren't any Cal Ripken Jr.'s out there to put all of Humpty's pieces back together these days.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Bobby Bonilla set to be the highest paid player this season 👍

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
It better get figured out quick.

That 94-95 strike was a real kick in the dinger for MLB. Cal Ripken Jr. saved the season and the league itself in a way... But I can't see how it could handle that kind of shutdown these days. There aren't any Cal Ripken Jr.'s out there to put all of Humpty's pieces back together these days.

They have a plan...

Mlb announced they were gonna stop testing for steroids

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
That's what made me give up the MLB years ago and I see nothing has changed to make me want to me back

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

It looks like this is exactly what's happened. MLB/players negotiated for 16 hours yesterday, until almost 3 AM. They pushed the deadline back 24 hours and will resume talks today at 11 EST. There is growing optimism that a deal gets done today.

That MLB deadline was always ********. They locked the players out, everyone sat around for 80 days with no serious conversation, and then they try to cram negotiations over a three day period. Silliness. If they had shown this urgency in December, we'd be a week into spring training games by now.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
They have a plan...

Mlb announced they were gonna stop testing for steroids

That’s a bit misleading. They have stopped testing until the new CBA is reached, at a minimum, because the drug testing program has expired as part of the old CBA.

The same testing program is not guaranteed to be part of the new CBA, but it would be damn near suicidal for MLB to walk it back and bring on a second PED era.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Bobby Bonilla set to be the highest paid player this season 

Bobby Bonilla's contract was one of the first of its kind, so it gets a lot of attention, but that type of contract is very common these days.

It actually worked out for the Mets - they took the 5.9M they saved upfront by doing that deal with Bonilla and traded for Mike Hampton and his remaining contract (5.75M). All Mike Hampton did was pitch the Mets into the World Series (he was NLDS MVP that year). Then, when Hampton left in free agency, the Mets got a compensation pick, which they used to select David Wright.

So in hindsight - the Mets would do that deal again. Bonilla would do that deal again, too. It worked out for everyone.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
And now the players have rejected the league's final offer. So, no baseball....

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Screw both sides

Not really the players fault that the owners want to squeeze them cause player pay comes from regular season games and most Owner profit comes from the playoffs.

If I were the players I'd hold that playoff money hostage. Declare that playoff money will be used to offset regular season salary losses. That would bring the owners back to the table QUICK.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login