MLB pitch clock violation

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
MLB has instituted an 8 second pitch clock. If the hitter is not ready after 8 seconds, he is assessed a strike. (If the pitcher is in violation, a ball is assessed.) I am tentatively in favor of the clock, but count me against awarding a third strike for a K. At least for a first violation. I think with 2 strikes, the hitter should lose a ball, not get an auto K.

Thoughts?

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
MLB has instituted an 8 second pitch clock. If the hitter is not ready after 8 seconds, he is assessed a strike. (If the pitcher is in violation, a ball is assessed.) I am tentatively in favor of the clock, but count me against awarding a third strike for a K. At least for a first violation. I think with 2 strikes, the hitter should lose a ball, not get an auto K.

Thoughts?
I sort of agree, but too many batters ask for TO, and pitchers pause, and 17 around.
Move the game on, they will adapt.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

Thoughts?
I agree, curious to see how it plays out. I’m a fan of the clock overall.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
What are the triggers for the clock starting and stopping? As soon as the pitcher receives the ball back on the mound, it starts? Stops when he makes first motion in the windup? Can a hitter still call time during the 8 seconds?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Too many requests for time as it is.
Step in the box and be ready to swing. With the pitcher having only 8 seconds, that eliminates the pitcher stall and back n forth mind games, so the batter doesn't need to ask for time from that.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Too many requests for time as it is.
Step in the box and be ready to swing. With the pitcher having only 8 seconds, that eliminates the pitcher stall and back n forth mind games, so the batter doesn't need to ask for time from that.
On second thought, why the need to flag the batter and award a strike? Just let the pitcher pitch after 8 seconds, and if the batter isn't ready it's his fault. In the Braves ST game yesterday, the pitcher threw a ball for ball 4 and walking in the winning run, but the batter got flagged for not being ready and penalized with strike 3, ending the game.

Why reward the pitcher when he didn't throw a strike?

It makes for more efficiency too. The batter has time to get ready while the pitcher is in his wind up. Making the pitcher hold his windup until the batter is set just adds more time.

I'm curious what this does to holding the runner. As long as the pitcher is set, does he get as long as he wants until he starts his pitch?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login