Moab Update

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Going next week. Last time I went, I was passing through, and Arches was full. They just started piloting a ticketed timed entry, similar to how they do it with Glacier. Demand was way lower than Glacier and I think part of that is people don't know they're doing it at Arches. Wanted to give y'all a heads up in case you're going this summer

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Went there 4 or 5 years ago in Oct. the drive through was not bad at all. With everyone bottled up the last couple of years vacation traffic has to be up.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Was there yesterday. Already crowded. Be prepared. Hotels already booked up pretty solid. Place is chock full of California lockdown escapees. Wanted to stay for the car show tomorrow, but would have had to find another hotel.

Everyone goes to Arches. Jeez, jam packed. If just riding and sightseeing, go south of town to the LaSalle Mtn loop drive. Will not disappoint.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Touche' T-Town. I stayed at a cabin on the loop and it was the best part of the trip. I live in the mountains and it was impressive.

Went a month ago with the fam. Cool views, but it was kinda overcrowded in town even then. Great cabin out in the la Sal mountains 30 minutes from town. We had to cram Arches into an afternoon because of late season snowstorm, but it was still cool.

Town is small and crowded with an abnormal mix of dreadlock and affliction folks.

Worth the trip. Zombie if you have not booked a place, let me know. Our cabin was money. And don't miss Moab Garage Company for breakfast. Smothered Mother burrito was tits. Best groceries in town.

Best arch to me was actually landscape. Don't miss that one.

Cabin $225/night with crazy views and a nice hottub
View attachment 24368

View attachment 24369

Last edited:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
We had a trip planned in late May early June to take the RV and the Jeep to New Mexico for a week, then up to Moab for a week, and then back to Durango for a week. When diesel prices first started hitting $5.00 a gallon I did the math and canceled. Probably should have gone anyway but maybe fuel prices will go down some for next year.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Damn. I already booked somewhere but we’re staying in Green River this time. Part of it was Moab was 3x as expensive as March of last year and part of was we’re going to capitol reef then ending up in cedar city the next night so wanted a head start on the drive. Cabins look great though. Will have to look into that in the future

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Honestly, I don't know if I would want to do a whole week in Moab anyway, unless you were throwing in a multi day rafting trip or your jeep is a straight up rock climber. A few days would be plenty. But that would leave you more time to chill in Durango which is one of my favorite mountain towns in the world.

We went to Durango or Taos every year for a decade when we lived in Dallas and I loved it. Considered moving to both permanently. Sounds like a fun trip, get it back on the books and damn the diesel prices. Just eat a little more bologna sammiches instead of steak to offset the costs.*

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Stayed in Cortez instead of Durango for Mesa Verde because it was on the way, but that was a weird 17ing town. Seemed safe enough on the surface but also felt like I was going to get murdered the whole time like something from the Texas chainsaw massacre

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Funny coincidence. I was going to keep this in my pocket, but since you're staying there.

Our last night in Moab my wife and kids started puking their guts out. We left Moab and they were passing the bucket around the entire drive from Moab to Green River.(I masked up on the car ride and never got sick... Nice benefit of having masks in the glove compartment still.)

We had a hotel in SLC, but they were so sick... It seemed like there was no way we could make that drive. We decided to stay in Green River... Um yeah, if you haven't been into that town before, you're going to get that Cortez feeling times 3. After driving through town, my wife said no 17ing way.

There did appear to be a nice new Holiday Inn Express on the west side of town. But the damage was already done. Somewhere around the Robber's Route motel, the wife made up her mind. It straight up has a hooker on the sign lol.

It was lunchtime on a Wednesday at the end of March, but I have never seen such a desolate place in my life. (I'm guessing the whole economy revolves around truck drivers crashing between Vegas and Denver.)

Outside of the truck stop and hotels on the west side of town, I don't think a single thing has been touched in 40 years. No cars or proof of life were to be seen. I personally loved it in a creepy sorta way. I have been all over West Texas and New Mexico and this reminded me of when you jump off the interstate and explore the abandoned route 66 locations in New Mexico.

Please take a little time to explore town and grab a picture of the Robber's Route and other parts of Green River. It's an exceptionally alien world to most people.

grinningmule

Jul 15, 2021
Funny coincidence. I was going to keep this in my pocket, but since you're staying there.

Our last night in Moab my wife and kids started puking their guts out. We left Moab and they were passing the bucket around the entire drive from Moab to Green River.(I masked up on the car ride and never got sick... Nice benefit of having masks in the glove compartment still.)

We had a hotel in SLC, but they were so sick... It seemed like there was no way we could make that drive. We decided to stay in Green River... Um yeah, if you haven't been into that town before, you're going to get that Cortez feeling times 3. After driving through town, my wife said no 17ing way.

There did appear to be a nice new Holiday Inn Express on the west side of town. But the damage was already done. Somewhere around the Robber's Route motel, the wife made up her mind. It straight up has a hooker on the sign lol.

It was lunchtime on a Wednesday at the end of March, but I have never seen such a desolate place in my life. (I'm guessing the whole economy revolves around truck drivers crashing between Vegas and Denver.)

Outside of the truck stop and hotels on the west side of town, I don't think a single thing has been touched in 40 years. No cars or proof of life were to be seen. I personally loved it in a creepy sorta way. I have been all over West Texas and New Mexico and this reminded me of when you jump off the interstate and explore the abandoned route 66 locations in New Mexico.

Please take a little time to explore town and grab a picture of the Robber's Route and other parts of Green River. It's an exceptionally alien world to most people.

I've always stayed in Price on my way to MS and back. Good compromise on the way to Moab or back. I've stopped for gas once in Green River and won't even do that again.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
We bypassed staying in Green River and had zero regrets. We got exiled and stayed in Torrey. Was pretty decent.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
We stayed at the Moab Rustic hotel about a block off the strip. Great owners, they have a ton of repeat customers. Park, unload, and walk to wherever you want in town.

FYI, Moab, UT mandatory checklist:

POS RV pulling a 40k side by side
Street legal dirt bikes
EV with twin bike racks
One full tattoo sleeve (saving up for the other)
Man bun
Crippled/unruly dog

Fun town though. Nice people for the most part. I love the outfitters here. They can hook you up with Jeep accessories you never dreamed of. Jeep days coming up in a couple weeks, I think

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Last time we went it was July of 2020 and stayed at the Hampton inn. I believe I know it was a Hilton Property. Right on the strip. Enjoyed the trip. Height of the Pandemic. Stay there three days then went on to Salt Lake City. Spent two nights there and went up to Park City.

dawglurker

Jul 13, 2017
Get to Capitol Reef early and get your pies. They go fast… if you don’t know, everyday they sell fresh baked pies at the Gifford House just inside the park. They also have some tasty looking cinnamon rolls if you’re there for breakfast.

If you’re in a high clearance vehicle, drive into Cathedral Valley. Definitely worth it to see Temple of the Sun and Temple of the Moon.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
We had a trip planned in late May early June to take the RV and the Jeep to New Mexico for a week, then up to Moab for a week, and then back to Durango for a week. When diesel prices first started hitting $5.00 a gallon I did the math and canceled. Probably should have gone anyway but maybe fuel prices will go down some for next year.

5/gal will be a bargain in June and July

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login