Moorhead to the NFL?...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Why Akron coach Joe Moorhead shouldn’t be overlooked in the NFL coordinator carousel - The Athletic

Is he the godfather?

In 2022, the 50-year-old Pittsburgh native took over a dismal situation at a school that won only two games in the previous three seasons combined. The Zips have won just four games in two seasons since he arrived, but I have heard that Moorhead’s offensive acumen — he’s the godfather of the college RPO game — has gotten him on some NFL teams’ radars.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Do NFL players post to Instagram on the sidelines, or have their managers do it for them during the game?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He’s our new Bruce Arians. Crappy offensive job here at State, then go on to make it as an NFL head coach and win a Super Bowl.
Except he was a crappy college head coach, and would probably do well as an NFL OC. I actually do think his concepts would translate to the NFL in a good way.

Definitely weird how the skillsets translate. Many people think Mullen would be a great NFL coach. I don't.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Except he was a crappy college head coach, and would probably do well as an NFL OC. I actually do think his concepts would translate to the NFL in a good way.

Definitely weird how the skillsets translate. Many people think Mullen would be a great NFL coach. I don't.

On the positive side for Mellon, recruiting won’t be an issue.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
On the positive side for Mellon, recruiting won’t be an issue.
Yeah but I always thought that whole 'Mullen hated crootin' was overrated. I don't think the personality of the head coach, especially if they have name cache for offense/defense/development/etc., is really what sells itself. Players want to be successful, they aren't dumb. That's why guys wanted to come play for Leach. Saban as well, he's not the most charming guy.

Of course there have been plenty of the CEO/recrooter types - Dabo, Orgeron, etc. - that have also been successful because they had good personalities. So more than one way to skin this cat. I've always said Croom would have been great in that role, but he was too prideful to embrace it. He wanted to be an offensive savant.

patdog

May 28, 2007

Agree. I don't think Dan's offense would translate well to the NFL. His QBs take way too many hits, and he's good but not great at developing passers (Dak got a LOT better throwing the ball in the NFL, Tebow didn't). I think Moorhead could be a good NFL offensive coordinator.

Reactions: HRMSU

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013

Mullen absolutely would be a good coach and play caller in the NFL. Over the last several years now the pro game has transformed more toward a college style of play on both sides of the ball. I think that started happening when the players union and the NFL restricted the practice time allowed and number of full contact practices ect. Less time together and on the field practicing, has led to a more simplified scheme. All this allowed for the emergence of quarterbacks who wouod have never played in the 80’s and 90’s because of the complexity of the schemes. It also allowed people like Brady to play longer and have success much later, becuse he came in playing in and facing more complex schemes that what he saw in the back end of his career. Lamar Jackson wouod have never started in the older days.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Agree. I don't think Dan's offense would translate well to the NFL. His QBs take way too many hits, and he's good but not great at developing passers (Dak got a LOT better throwing the ball in the NFL, Tebow didn't). I think Moorhead could be a good NFL offensive coordinator.
Yeah if he runs the offense from 2010 but if you look how the offense was run in 2015 with Dak throwing the ball I could totally see that version of Mullen’s offense in the NFL.

It would be similar to what Monken is running in Baltimore.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
I don't think Dan's offense would translate well to the NFL.

How Dan Mullen helped tweak the Patriots offense to make it more explosive.​

Mullen, now the head coach at Mississippi State, said McDaniels was particularly interested in Florida’s spread offense. He said he helped teach McDaniels how Florida quarterbacks were able to read the defense before the ball was snapped:

“I think what intrigued the Patriots,” Mullen said, “was the definition of the spread for us. Once you get the defense to declare as man before the play even happens, for the QB it’s easy.”

From there, the rest was history. The Patriots and QB Tom Brady embarked on one of the most dominant stretches in NFL history, something Mullen said he’s enjoyed watching — especially since he played a part in the team’s offensive progression.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/m...helped-tweak-patriots-offense-make-explosive/

Reactions: bulldoghair

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

He may be good in the NFL. I have a hard time saying Joe was a good OC. The only year he really had success he had a quality college QB in McSorley, a generational RB talent in Barkley, a high level NFL receiver in Godwin and an NFL tight end in Gesicki.

What are they if Barkley is not on that team? It’s probably my dislike for the offensive production under Joe that makes my judgement clouded.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
This is a favor to his agent who wants to move him before he gets canned at Akron & his career is lights out. JoMo is a terrible coach & calling him the godfather of rpo offense in CFB is laughable. JoMo has hit the coaching convention circuit hard & actually had a paid course online on his offense. He’s the equivalent of the business college professor that’s never successfully ran a business.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
christmas vacation GIF

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Is anyone else worried that if Joe moves to a big city for an NFL job that there might be too much traffic for him to drive his BMW fast?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login