More Cannizaro trouble

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Wish I could say I was surprised…..but from first hand accounts of both players and staff during his tenure here, I’m not at all. The affair with an AD staffer was truly the least of his issues.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Some poster on Bafooms was saying when MB is gone they should go after him.

Choctaw Dawg

May 21, 2017
None of the players liked him, if he had stayed longer all of our guys would have eventually transferred out. I'm not talking of bench players hating him, I'm talking of leaders of the team. Recruiting would have eventually tanked if word got out of the stuff he did to players and how he treated them

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
[FONT="] pic.twitter.com/IrP9eUUHMC— brown baggin it (@jdog5513) April 26, 2022 [/FONT]

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Oof. When I saw Holy Cross, I thought it was the college, but this is a High School.

Going from coaching one of college baseball’s blue bloods to getting fired by a high school in New Orleans... damn.

Is he really this self destructive?

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I'm cringing from the thought that he may have Hugh Freeze'd a cheerleader.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah. When that school hired him, that's the first thing I thought. Some father may be about to sue that school for everything they've got. I understand giving a guy a second chance. But a high school just can't give a guy like that a second chance. It's far too risky.

Dawg1979

Jun 23, 2015
What was he doing to players that they didn’t like? Never really heard anything on that

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah. When that school hired him, that's the first thing I thought. Some father may be about to sue that school for everything they've got. I understand giving a guy a second chance. But a high school just can't give a guy like that a second chance. It's far too risky.

Well, was there any smoke on him about chasing high school girls? I mean, I get the sentiment. But I'm pretty sure the high school coaching profession isn't deep enough to allow high schools to discriminate against coaches who have previously had affairs. If there weren't any rumors about him and high school girls, I don't think you can write him off just because he had an affair previously.

But certainly an all boys school would have been a better landing place.

Arthur2478

Oct 17, 2010

Holy Cross is an all-boys school

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Wish I could say I was surprised…..but from first hand accounts of both players and staff during his tenure here, I’m not at all. The affair with an AD staffer was truly the least of his issues.

The day before the news broke here when he was fired there was an all night conference call with Cohen and others that from what I am told got worse and worse by the hours. What was shared publicly after that was only the tip of the iceberg

birdawg

Aug 13, 2009
The day before the news broke here when he was fired there was an all night conference call with Cohen and others that from what I am told got worse and worse by the hours. What was shared publicly after that was only the tip of the iceberg

Is the remaining iceberg the same issues as the tip, or different issues altogether

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
What was he doing to players that they didn’t like? Never really heard anything on that

From what I understand, wasn’t necessarily stuff that was overtly malicious. But he was often late for his own practices and even just straight up skipped a few, stood off in the background playing on his phone at practice….and not just booty calls but also absorbed in his social media stuff and texting and everything else. All the while, Gautreau / Henderson and the other assistants were doing all the heavy lifting. Still having Cohen in the Fall of 2016 to help mold that 2017 team and also having a veteran former SEC head coach on staff in 2017-2018 covered up for a lot of what was happening behind the scenes. And it didn’t take long for our veterans to start seeing right through him. Also heard that a few players went directly to Cohen about the **** that was happening.

In general, he was very surface level about everything he did. No depth to him as a person or a coach….just didn’t have the mentality needed to succeed in the fish bowl that is NCAA sports (or high school sports, as it turns out). More than one player got into it with him in the dugout in the middle of games about the phone thing. He’s one of those people with a magnetic personality that you like him immediately when you first talk to him, because he makes great first impressions, has sense of humor, etc. And he was great at the “rah rah” **** like dumping the bats in the dugout to get them hot. That’s why he was a great recruiter. But eventually they’d see right through him as not being a leader or even a person you could trust as a friend / mentor in any way.

Last edited:

was21

May 29, 2007
If all that is true, how stupid could Cohen be to hire him in the first place? Tulane flat turned him down for their job. I've heard one reason Cohen hired him was just to piss off Manieri..if so that's kind of...well, ****** for lack of a better word.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
If all that is true, how stupid could Cohen be to hire him in the first place? Tulane flat turned him down for their job. I've heard one reason Cohen hired him was just to piss off Manieri..if so that's kind of...well, ****** for lack of a better word.

I think the biggest flaw was putting a guy with such a small career sample size in that position. Dude had only been a coach of any sort for 2 years….and was never a head coach at any level. The baggage above is not something that would ever come out from being a hitting coach, where you have a superior on the field directing you at all times. He thought he could be different, and was dead *** wrong.

I still think the right move was to hire Henderson as interim until the end of the 2017 season, then make the full time hire from there. But if we were dead set on not doing that, Cannizarro was no bigger gamble than anyone else. You don’t have much to choose from when making a hire after fall camp….no sitting head coach is going to come at that time.

All that said, the entire situation put us on the path to where we are now defending national champions. All’s well that ends well, I suppose.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

Like many addictions, they are well hidden until they are not. I hope and pray the best for him and his family as well as anyone else affected by addictive behaviors.

Aug 24, 2012
Do y’all not realize that without Andy Cannizarro we don’t sign Tanner Allen, and without Tanner Allen we don’t win a national Championship?
I don’t condone his deficiencies, but I can certainly appreciate his contributions to our success.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Like many addictions, they are well hidden until they are not. I hope and pray the best for him and his family as well as anyone else affected by addictive behaviors.

****, we're all addicted to the poon. You build up a little immunity later in life, but it's unbeatable....(obviously)

Last edited:

Connor Mead

Mar 4, 2014
Think his hiring could be debated for a long time, I see both sides. He seemingly had all the qualities, but as mentioned his sample size was small. Have to give Cohen credit, his decision was swift, decisive and put the team in good hands for the season. For all of Cohens flaw, he got the firing right. Narcissist are often good at hiding their narcissism, however his became evident quickly. Feel sorry for his wife, I understand she was / is a very nice person.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I just don't think a person can hide the kind of character flaws he has for long and in the baseball community word gets out. I think Cohen knew, or at least should have known, that it was a risky hire. But regardless of if he did or didn't know, it was idiotic from the beginning to hire a baseball coach in December. Cohen should have either pulled double duty for 6 months or named Henderson as interim. I can't imagine a hitting coach for 2 years at LSU would have been the top candidate we could have hired the following June.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not saying Cohen should have known he'd do everything he did when he was here. Just that this is a pretty questionable guy from a character standpoint.

campshelbydog842003

Sep 25, 2013
****, we're all addicted to the poon. You build up a little immunity later in life, but it's unbeatable....(obviously)

Yea a large amount of people are as faithful as their options. Not everyone obviously, but a lot. I mean over half of marriages end in divorce and a lot of that is someone having their eye on someone else whether or not they have done anything or not with someone else. It always makes me chuckle when some 55 year old overweight balding guy talks down on someone for doing what Cannizzaro did when that guy has no idea how he would react in the same situation because no one semi attractive has ever given him the time of day.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Fat fingered the down vote.

Not really, but I’m so upset that anyone would dislike that tweet that I needed to come up with an explanation

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
I was always told cheating takes two things: opportunity and openness.

As you said, your 55 yo fat guy may be open to the idea of a little action on the side, but has no opportunity. On the other hand, you have a young hot girl who loves her husband - she may get hit on all the time by dudes at work, but if she's not open to it, it goes nowhere.

Muttley

Aug 22, 2012
Yea a large amount of people are as faithful as their options. Not everyone obviously, but a lot. I mean over half of marriages end in divorce and a lot of that is someone having their eye on someone else whether or not they have done anything or not with someone else. It always makes me chuckle when some 55 year old overweight balding guy talks down on someone for doing what Cannizzaro did when that guy has no idea how he would react in the same situation because no one semi attractive has ever given him the time of day.

Some of us over 55 year old, bald, fat guys weren't bald and fat when we were Cannizzaro's age and could have had opportunities, but family was more important. Just saying.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I just don't think a person can hide the kind of character flaws he has for long and in the baseball community word gets out. I think Cohen knew, or at least should have known, that it was a risky hire. But regardless of if he did or didn't know, it was idiotic from the beginning to hire a baseball coach in December. Cohen should have either pulled double duty for 6 months or named Henderson as interim. I can't imagine a hitting coach for 2 years at LSU would have been the top candidate we could have hired the following June.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm not saying Cohen should have known he'd do everything he did when he was here. Just that this is a pretty questionable guy from a character standpoint.

Whatever personality flaws he had associated with his ability to coach were very well hidden….because he was not exposed like he was as a head coach. Again, his issues went way beyond the affair. It was his whole personality that was the problem.

Cohen bought into him as a recruiter above all else, and for good reason. He’s the one who landed TA, Landon Sims, Logan Tanner, Kellum Clark, and other guys who were vital to our national title run. He rolled the dice in a few other areas of his resume, and unfortunately we got burned. But we cut bait fast enough to where there was no real impact, and we were still able to reap the rewards of his best work as our coach.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

No truer words have ever been written. No matter how self righteous one is, there's a good chance he'll stray if the right opportunity comes along and his spouse is not meeting his needs. It's a story as old as time.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
The speech from Billy Madison comes to mind here.... We are all dumber for reading what you just posted. You get no points , and may God have mercy on your soul.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login