More from Dellenger

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Sounds like 12 teams is no longer guaranteed.

How about our man on the inside:
Sankey and his corresponding representative on the CFP Board, Mississippi State president Mark Keenum, have suggested in the past that the model incorporate only at-large selections.

The debate rolls on.

Reactions: Whats_his_name

patdog

May 28, 2007
The playoff going forward will be what the SEC & Big 10 want it to be. Within reason though. Congress and/or the Justice Dept (anti trust) could get involved if they get too unreasonable.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
The playoff going forward will be what the SEC & Big 10 want it to be. Within reason though. Congress and/or the Justice Dept (anti trust) could get involved if they get too unreasonable.
If the SEC & Big 10 decide their respective champions and runners up will face off in a four-team playoff for “a” championship, how would that violate any anti-trust laws?

patdog

May 28, 2007
If the SEC & Big 10 decide their respective champions and runners up will face off in a four-team playoff for “a” championship, how would that violate any anti-trust laws?
Denying access to other schools. I don’t know about the legalities of it. But the politics wouldn’t be good. And the politics are probably more relevant than the legality.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I am almost to the end of my sports following all together. I don't watch Professional sports and college football is starting to get unbearable to watch. The rich get richer and don't want to share. Thats the gest of it. Then you have schools like SMU who is bribing their way into a P4 and Ole Miss who is mortgaging the farm to buy players. It is out of control. Ole Miss is going all in for next season, but I suspect with the playoff format they are going to be really let down. It is going to be a lot harder to get into the playoff now that it has gone to 12 teams. The committee are going to do everything they can to get the big boys in and Ole Miss is not a big boy. They are going to have a really good record, but that schedule is going to be the excuse the committee needs to keep them out.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
I am almost to the end of my sports following all together. I don't watch Professional sports and college football is starting to get unbearable to watch. The rich get richer and don't want to share. Thats the gest of it. Then you have schools like SMU who is bribing their way into a P4 and Ole Miss who is mortgaging the farm to buy players. It is out of control. Ole Miss is going all in for next season, but I suspect with the playoff format they are going to be really let down. It is going to be a lot harder to get into the playoff now that it has gone to 12 teams. The committee are going to do everything they can to get the big boys in and Ole Miss is not a big boy. They are going to have a really good record, but that schedule is going to be the excuse the committee needs to keep them out.
my favorite sport is b1tching
about the sports i watch when there’s nothing better to do. note: there’s always something better to do than watch nba mlb and most nfl games

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
How will you know they get left out if you aren’t following sports? And if they somehow make it, look on the bright side. You would have ended your sports following all together so you won’t care.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
How will you know they get left out if you aren’t following sports?
I did not say that dumbass. You must have gone to the same school as Jerrell Powe. Learn to read *****.

Last edited:

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Gezzz, that reads like the sec and B1G are strong arming college football.

What exactly are the "issues" that the sec and B1G want to discuss?

"If you don't do this our way, we are taking our ball elsewhere."

Whjch I guess they can. The sec and B1G schools generate the viewers. The CFP and ESPN deal will be a loser if no SEC and B1G schools participate. And that will suck if the sec and B1G screw the sport out of a playoff.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I'm not sure if this is the answer, but anything that destroys the NCAA as it is, I am for. Next up would be getting SEC offices as far away from Alabama as possible.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
That was ballsy of Washington State to blow up the recent meeting, but I get why…they (and Oregon State) are about to be left out of the future of college football, and are doing everything they can to delay that.
Meanwhile, the Big 10 and SEC aren’t going to commit to anything that precludes the NFL-lite option, like signing on for the current CFP through 2031 without an out.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm not sure if this is the answer, but anything that destroys the NCAA as it is, I am for. Next up would be getting SEC offices as far away from Alabama as possible.
This meeting was about playoff revenue distribution, not blowing up the NCAA.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Whjch I guess they can. The sec and B1G schools generate the viewers. The CFP and ESPN deal will be a loser if no SEC and B1G schools participate. And that will suck if the sec and B1G screw the sport out of a playoff.
I think they just want it to be a fair tournament, and get the right number of SEC and B1G teams in, rather than allowing the rest to get a disproportionate number.

Going to 16 is the minimum they can do. And getting rid of conference championship BS would help, but that won't happen.

Reactions: Maroon13

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I think they just want it to be a fair tournament, and get the right number of SEC and B1G teams in, rather than allowing the rest to get a disproportionate number.

Going to 16 is the minimum they can do. And getting rid of conference championship BS would help, but that won't happen.
If it goes to a 16 teams (or more) playoff I think you could allow conference champions. The majority of the time those champions are going to be in the playoff regardless.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I’m not sure if you’ve been watching sports all along
It's the format that is going to make it hard, six conference champions are getting in only leaving six spots. With the demise of the PAC 12 two G5 schools are getting in and all I am saying the committee is going to look really hard at everything before they put ole miss in before Bama or some other traditional big-time school in one of those six spots. Ole Miss has a really easy schedule, and I am saying that could hurt them. Obviously, this could all change between now and the first kick off based on changes in format.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007

The big issue is guaranteed playoff berths for conference champions. SEC and Big 10 would rather just do away with that altogether, although they could probably live with a compromise of 4 or 5 automatic bids. But the current 6 automatic bids is unacceptable. If the smaller conferences hold firm to that for the next 2 years which they have the right to do, they may regret it later.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The big issue is guaranteed playoff berths for conference champions. SEC and Big 10 would rather just do away with that altogether, although they could probably live with a compromise of 4 or 5 automatic bids. But the current 6 automatic bids is unacceptable. If the smaller conferences hold firm to that for the next 2 years which they have the right to do, they may regret it later.
Holding of the conference championship games in general will soon come to a head. You're already playing minimum 15 games, and that's for the ones who get a bye. 16 games with a conference championship game. If you go to 16 teams the playoff, you're at 17 games total for the winner.

I don't know why we can't eliminate conference title games, which mean increasingly less, and play the first round of the playoff that weekend. You say they make money? Well you can continue to add games forever and they will make money, doesn't mean it's a good idea or sustainable. The expanded playoff more than makes up for the money lost in a conference title game. They are relics of 1995 - get rid of them. Award conference title on record.

Some will say, "Well that's not fair!!". Who cares, it's a conference. It means very little except a bunch of schools who agree to play each other on TV. It's one of the weirdest things in college football.

Then, beyond that, yeah you can have the top ranked conference champions make the tournament if you want. I also say that you have a minimum of 2 G5 teams, and they play the top 2 P5 teams in Round 1. G5 is defined as teams not in the SEC/B1G/ACC/B12. Those schools also will need to agree to quit poaching each other. Need to stabilize that shlt at 18 or 20 teams and be done with it.

None of this will happen though. Too many cooks in the kitchen, all looking out for themselves.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Holding of the conference championship games in general will soon come to a head. You're already playing minimum 15 games, and that's for the ones who get a bye. 16 games with a conference championship game. If you go to 16 teams the playoff, you're at 17 games total for the winner.

I don't know why we can't eliminate conference title games, which mean increasingly less, and play the first round of the playoff that weekend. You say they make money? Well you can continue to add games forever and they will make money, doesn't mean it's a good idea or sustainable. The expanded playoff more than makes up for the money lost in a conference title game. They are relics of 1995 - get rid of them. Award conference title on record.

Some will say, "Well that's not fair!!". Who cares, it's a conference. It means very little except a bunch of schools who agree to play each other on TV. It's one of the weirdest things in college football.

Then, beyond that, yeah you can have the top ranked conference champions make the tournament if you want. I also say that you have a minimum of 2 G5 teams. G5 is defined as teams not in the SEC/B1G/ACC/B12. Those schools also will need to agree to quit poaching each other. Need to stabilize that shlt at 18 or 20 teams and be done with it.
Don't necessarily disagree with you on what should happen. But the SEC and Big 10 conference championship games generate too much money (that the SEC and Big 10 don't share with anyone). Also, they'll accept a guaranteed spot for a G5 team, but not 2. And they won't go to 16 team playoff because they want all playoff games to be national TV games that don't conflict with NFL. They can barely get 4 games squeezed into a weekend, much less 8.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login