More money in college than NFL rookies get

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
He can make all the money he wants, if he shows up to play when we play in Austin, next season, we will chase his rich a*s all the way to the locker room. 😝

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
According to ESPN stats, Lil Archie was 2-5 for 30 yds and had 3 carries for 7 yds. He is an 18 yr old FR and was given $3.2M before the season started for basically 8 plays in the season and a few handoffs. College football is broken......

Last edited:

tired

Sep 16, 2013
$3.2 mil is a %, a drop in the bucket, of what he's already made them.

I guarantee, everyone would want a cut if in those shoes. I would.

I'm not saying I love the new system, but I'm also not going to be hypocritical about it.

This is about name & likeness, not stats.

Why should the product, who puts in the most work, that is making so many different people millions of dollars, totaling billions, not get a piece?

Maybe the Mannings have a plan, make as much as he can before he transfers to OM

Reactions: ThreeDawgNight

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
No, this is pay for play without regulation.

If it were strictly NIL, they would only be compensated for the utilization of their N, I, and L. Jersey sales, photos, autographs, speaking/special engagements, commercials, etc. And all of those "paid events" would be a part of their contracts.

Right now, they are getting unrestricted pay on hype. At least the actual pay for play in the NFL has limits (i.e. salary cap, rookie minimums, etc.)

What I'm interested to see happen is will all of this have a "trickle up" effect to the NFL. Or, will the NFL finally lobby for changes to the system once they start losing out on a couple of years of new players/hype b/c those kids could make more than a rookie staying in college.

I agree with being compensated for your N-I-L, but it's got to be regulated. You'll never convince me that they hype of Arch Manning made Texas enough money to be worthy of paying him 3.2 to sit on the bench.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Maybe the Mannings have a plan, make as much as he can before he transfers to OM
bingo. They are just waiting for Kiffin to leave. Then whoever they hire will hire Cutcliff as an advisor. Arch will transfer in.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016

I'm not saying I love the new system, but I'm also not going to be hypocritical about it.

Why should the product, who puts in the most work, that is making so many different people millions of dollars, totaling billions, not get a piece?

Because they are not getting ANY piece of the revenue. 0 dollars in fact. The athletes sued and the Court said you deserve a piece/can market your likeness. So the institutions receiving all of the revenue with an assist from the NCAA pushed it on the fans. It’s an absolute disaster clownshow. Good thing that it’s meaningless anyway. It’s a game.

For context, Deion Smith went to JA (on tuition assistance). He signed with LSU out of highschool. Had 180 yards receiving. He didn’t get kicked out of LSU for grades…he got kicked off the team for drugs. Transferred to Juco. Signed with Ole Miss recently and showed up in a Lamborghini to his signing event. It’s insanity.

We are creating horrible human beings. Who cares if they can play football?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think all the numbers are significantly inflated. But the point is still there.

Either way, ‘Manning’ is a brand by itself. They are using the extreme example of him and Purdy (who was never expected to start a few years ago when the contract was signed) to exaggerate the issue.

I think it’s hilarious, honestly. But really hard to discern what is BS and what isn’t.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
I agree it's regulated poorly & too much of a free for all. I don't like asking the fans to pay for it & it needs to come from the dickheads making all the money. I still believe the players deserve a piece, and my issue is not with them.

I get the gripes, but it's still pretty much in the infancy stages, & hopefully gets corrected.

If State were benefitting from it more, and had some big seasons due to NIL, our gripes would be at a minimum, I'm assuming.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I keep saying it.. the NFL should be worried about the direction of collegiate football.

The first step is players become employees of the collectives with signed contracts.

Then one day big shots from Alabama and Ohio State sitting around a board room float the question: “Why are we investing so much in players just for them to move on in 3-5 years?”

Boom.. collegiate football goes to war with the NFL.

Think it can’t happen?… ask FedEX execs if they should have taken Amazon seriously about their last mile initiative.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
They only have so many snaps. The human body can only take so much. They have to get through their rookie contract before making good money in the NFL. They might make more not going to the NFL early, but it could possibly cost them more money in the long run.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I keep saying it.. the NFL should be worried about the direction of collegiate football.

The first step is players become employees of the collectives with signed contracts.

Then one day big shots from Alabama and Ohio State sitting around a board room float the question: “Why are we investing so much in players just for them to move on in 3-5 years?”

Boom.. collegiate football goes to war with the NFL.

Think it can’t happen?… ask FedEX execs if they should have taken Amazon seriously about their last mile initiative.
I don't think so. I think the gap is much wider than folks really think, and not only that, this is still the 'new' age of NIL. This won't continue forever, people will quit essentially setting their money on fire after a few busts.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Because just putting in time doesn't create the value. The school brand and loyalty is what generates the value. With a few exceptions, college athletes are mostly interchangeable and should make what other minor league sports players get paid (for actually playing; excluding what they get for their rights in the event they make it out of the minor leagues). If it weren't for the school loyalty, there wouldn't be any more money in college sports than there is in the XFL.

Reactions: bannerdawg

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I don't think so. I think the gap is much wider than folks really think, and not only that, this is still the 'new' age of NIL. This won't continue forever, people will quit essentially setting their money on fire after a few busts.
Every generation has thought they were living in the pinnacle of what could possible be spent on collegiate athletics.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Every generation has thought they were living in the pinnacle of what could possible be spent on collegiate athletics.
That's true, I'll give you that. But I sense some differences.

The NFL has grown exponentially and is the better TV product. College has now destroyed their 'niche', which was the fact that it was more about the passion for a school, and banding together, than anything. Now - yes, they are sort of competing with the NFL, and they will likely lose. People have already stopped attending and are watching more of the TV product. Fan passion is more ho hum now than I've seen, unless you have a team that is winning big. You used to have bowls to care about, but no one cares about that anymore. You used to have the future, and the whole, what will our team look like with these players in a few years, sort of thing. The portal has destroyed that. It's all just side entertainment now, which is BAD for college ball. They need passionate fans. The NFL will kick their *** at the entertainment side of things.

The 12-team playoff will help, but I do think the NIL/portal has permanently damaged some things. I do think those things should have been slowly implemented over the years. For example, the SMU stuff should have led to some NIL regulation way back then. And later, in the rise of coaching changes, we should have allowed for some ease of transfer maybe 15 years ago. But all these things at once, has left a mark. Couple it with COVID, and this boring *** 4-team playoff, and bowls becoming irrelevant - it's been a hit.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
As much chaos as NIL is causing for football, I think it could be beneficial to basketball. Now college can compete with the overseas basketball leagues. Guys like Tolu are more likely to stick around in college for as long as possible. It should cut back on the number who leave after 2-3 years but obviously have no chance at the NBA.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Exactly, just think what NFL rookies could get if instead of being drafted and having structured rooking contracts coming out of college they were all just free agents in a bidding war among the 32 NFL teams.

Reactions: onewoof

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Becoming more of a thing to keep them in college now...
That is comparing the 2nd highest valued college football player with the NFL's Mr Irrelevant.
It would be difficult to come up with a worse comparison when claiming there is more money in college than what NFL rookies get.

- Bryce Young is paid an average of $9.5MM per year. This does not include endorsements.
- Anthony Richardson is paid an average of $8.5MM per year. This does not include endorsements.

Why not compare Manning to the QBs listed above?

Additionally-
- Brock Purdy isnt a rookie. He played last season- played in the regular season and in the playoffs too.
- Manning is 18 and a freshman- he couldnt go to the NFL even if he wanted to since he doesnt qualify. You are using someone who cant go to the NFL even if they wanted to as an example to support the trend of 'keeping them in college'. He has no choice. If you want to claim players are staying in college to make more money than they would in the NFL, use players that could go to the NFL and are choosing not to. That seems pretty straight forward.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
No, this is pay for play without regulation.

If it were strictly NIL, they would only be compensated for the utilization of their N, I, and L. Jersey sales, photos, autographs, speaking/special engagements, commercials, etc. And all of those "paid events" would be a part of their contracts.

Right now, they are getting unrestricted pay on hype. At least the actual pay for play in the NFL has limits (i.e. salary cap, rookie minimums, etc.)

What I'm interested to see happen is will all of this have a "trickle up" effect to the NFL. Or, will the NFL finally lobby for changes to the system once they start losing out on a couple of years of new players/hype b/c those kids could make more than a rookie staying in college.

I agree with being compensated for your N-I-L, but it's got to be regulated. You'll never convince me that they hype of Arch Manning made Texas enough money to be worthy of paying him 3.2 to sit on the bench.
Yeah, that is the ideal way NIL would be used. But how its currently being used isnt improper or really any different. By straight up just paying players thru an NIL fund, people are saying 'your name/image/likeness is valuable to the program I support so here is money for you to make an appearance on the team'.

I view this all as dumb and a waste of money, but we all prioritize our finances differently and value different things.

Del B Vista

Dec 9, 2010
That is comparing the 2nd highest valued college football player with the NFL's Mr Irrelevant.
It would be difficult to come up with a worse comparison when claiming there is more money in college than what NFL rookies get.

- Bryce Young is paid an average of $9.5MM per year. This does not include endorsements.
- Anthony Richardson is paid an average of $8.5MM per year. This does not include endorsements.

Why not compare Manning to the QBs listed above?

Additionally-
- Brock Purdy isnt a rookie. He played last season- played in the regular season and in the playoffs too.
- Manning is 18 and a freshman- he couldnt go to the NFL even if he wanted to since he doesnt qualify. You are using someone who cant go to the NFL even if they wanted to as an example to support the trend of 'keeping them in college'. He has no choice. If you want to claim players are staying in college to make more money than they would in the NFL, use players that could go to the NFL and are choosing not to. That seems pretty straight forward.
Also, Purdy is nearly two years closer to signing his first free agent deal, which is when the big bucks really kick in. Plus, since he's not a first-round pick, he didn't get the fifth-year option tagged on. He'll be a UFA in 2026.

Reactions: mstateglfr

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
According to ESPN stats, Lil Archie was 2-5 for 30 yds and had 3 carries for 7 yds. He is an 18 yr old FR and was given $3.2M before the season started for basically 8 plays in the season and a few handoffs. College football is broken......
So broken! And sad that it’s not an amateur sport any longer and the NFL has more perceived loyalty than does the NCAA.
If I had a couple of hundred thousand $$ or more extra every year to blow- - -
no 17-ing way I’d
Give it to a 17-21 year old idiot!

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
OK, so here’s an interesting scenario that I hadn’t thought of… what happens when colleges say 17 the NCAA and start eliminating eligibility requirements to let players stay longer? Indefinite graduate programs or even some kind of non-student allowance for a college team? What would the NFL do? What would colleges do and college fans do? Would be interesting.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
As we go forward with pay for play, redshirting, etc are we going to see "career" college players that aren't quite NFL material but hang out in college making money? It makes sense.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login